YouGov/Sun poll tonight – Labour lead by five points: CON 31%, LAB 36%, LD 7%, UKIP 16%
– Beware the unintended consequences of hiking the minimum wage.
– Gutsy Osborne was right to gamble on a promise of further spending cuts.
– Boris Johnson: Don’t savage London powerhouse – Tory party conference.
– MPs’ expenses: A new cover-up as watchdog wants names of suspected cheats kept secret to save them from ‘reputational damage’.
– I’ll silence the preachers of hate, vows May: Home Secretary will ban extremists from speaking in public or spreading poison on social media.
– GPs will be available seven days a week by 2020, promises Cameron: PM to unveil revolution that will allow busy patients to fit in appointments around world and childcare.
– ‘UKIP defectors are the sort of people who have sex with vacuum cleaners’: Boris comes to Cameron’s rescue with extraordinary attack on the ‘quitters, the splitters, the kippers’ undermining Tories.
– George Osborne aims at tax credits and benefits in new squeeze on working class.
– Theresa May plans new powers to ban extremists from TV appearances.
– David Cameron: schools should teach mainly in imperial measurements.
– What the Tories don’t say about the deficit.
– Duncan Smith outlines plans for prepaid benefits cards in place of cash.
– Rochester and Strood digests Reckless defection and gears up for by-election.
– What is the ‘Google tax’?
– David Davis warns of risks in joining ‘limitless’ war and falling into Isis trap.
– George Osborne inspired the Tory faithful, but will he ever be leader?
– Cameron planning seven-day GP access for patients.
– Brits liken David Cameron to scaly reptile for third year in a row.
– Midwives vote to strike for first time in pay row.
– BoJo’s ex-No2 set to defect.
– Tory MPs allowed to campaign for Britain to leave the EU.
– Tories planning to ‘throw kitchen sink’ at Reckless by-election.
– The RAF is too run-down for the campaign against Islamic State.
– George Osborne forgot something important in his speech, too.
– George Osborne: at last, a politician who dares to tell the truth.
– BIRMINGHAM: Conservative Party Conference.