YouGov/Sun poll – CON 34%, LAB 37%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%
– Middle class children to miss out as poor prioritised
– Boris Johnson: Nimbies pretend to care about architecture to block developments
– David Cameron dragged feet over Litvinenko inquiry to protect Russia relations – widow
– EXCLUSIVE: Migrant family of 17 on £55k a year benefits AND they want a bigger home
– Ukip on course to win two Labour target seats at General Election, new poll reveals (INCL Comment from Tim Aker)
– Mass immigration squeezes wages and pressures housing, says new report
– Just 90 fake students out of 50,000 have been deported
– Energy bills set to rise as fixed-rate deals end
– Hand back the Roubles, Dave
– Simon Heffer: The selfish cowardice of Germany and France
– Fury as Lib Dems MP says: I’d fire missiles at Israel
– New leader of the House of Lords snubs Cameron’s offer to top up her salary as Tory reshuffle chaos grows
– Record £100bn in VAT is paid to Treasury
– Daily Mail Comment: Plastic politicians and an impotent EU
– Revenue IT project costs rise by billions as bosses lose (also in The Sun) grip
– Axing student loan book sell-off leaves £12bn hole (also in The Sun)
– Selina Scott may stand as Conservative MP
– Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
– Replacing Atos with another private provider will not solve flaws in disability benefits system, MPs warn
– Labour pledges to increase women in senior civil service posts
– Ukip will win two MPs in next year’s election
– Govt has lost 175,000 people who have no right to be in UK
– Big Six got windfall from ‘green crap’ axe
– UK still exporting ‘dual-use’ military equipment to Russia
– Energy bills £100 more if we turn backs on Russian gas
House of Commons
– No business announced
House of Lords
– Legislation – Lord Faulks. Criminal Justice and Courts Bill – Committee of the whole House (Day 3) – Lord Faulks
– Oral Questions. Raising the UK’s productivity
– Oral Questions. Increasing trade with China
– Short Debate. EU Committee report on the Euro area crisis
– BRUSSELS: EU foreign ministers, including Philip Hammond, meet representatives of Asean states, including Malaysia.
– GLASGOW: Members of the Royal Family to carry out engagements at the Commonwealth Games. The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will tour the Emirates Arena and meet Commonwealth Games athletes, volunteers and officials. Later, the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will arrive at Glasgow Central Station, before attending a reception to mark the opening of the games. The reception will also be attended by the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, the Countess of Wessex and heads of state, heads of government and other dignitaries.
– 0830 GLASGOW: Commonwealth Games Business Conference. Second day of international conference, including keynote address from Bank of England governor Mark Carney at 1245 and Prime Minister David Cameron at 1400.
– 2100 GLASGOW: Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony. Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony Celtic Park.
– 0900 LONDON: Francis Maude speaks to Reform conference on private sector and public services.
– 0930 LONDON: Bank of England publishes minutes of July’s monetary policy committee meeting.
– 0930: British Bankers’ Association releases its latest high street banking report. BBA 020 7216 8989.