To all members of the UK Independence Party in Wales:
THE GRASSROOTS CONFERENCE
“FORWARD WITH FRIENDS”
postponed from 4th March 2018
will now take place on Saturday 19th May 2018 at 11.00 am at
STRAND HALL, STRAND STREET, BUILTH WELLS, LD2 3AA
when we can explore how the ordinary UKIP members in Wales can
1 Re-establish the Party in Wales within the classical liberal tradition of Freedom of Association, Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Enterprise, Free Trade, Democracy and the Rule of Law which are the foundation stones of every successful country in the world today and
2 re-create in UKIP Wales democratic institutions which will enable us to fulfil that purpose.
ALL UKIP MEMBERS IN WALES ARE INVITED TO ATTEND
(except Controllers, but any Controller who resigns that position is welcome to attend as an ordinary member). Assembly Members are welcome to attend, but on the basis of keeping a low profile.
The purpose of the Conference is to allow maximum participation by ordinary members without top-down pressure.
In the last 5 years the Party Hierarchy has:
- destroyed the Democratically elected Wales Committee, at which Grassroots members could be heard;
- ignored and alienated members by imposing Chairman-only top-down rule at County and EU Regional level;
- imposed Controllers at County and EU Regional level – In the Nazi lexicon these are Gauleiters – so that
- the Obergauleiters in London, who know little or nothing about Wales, can impose their views on us;
- hindered co-operation between Constituencies, by the divide-and-rule policy of prohibiting disclosure of information and mismanaged the Party’s funds to the point where we cannot afford salaried executives.
Fortunately we now have a new Leader in Gerard Batten M.E.P. who realises the importance of the Grassroots but he cannot do everything overnight, and has rightly prioritised the Party finances and Local Elections.
Our task is to help him turn the Party around by suggesting ways of overcoming the above problems. The lack of Head office executives means that the execution of policy will have to rely on volunteers, and to maximise the number involved that means delegating executive action to areas in which the members can drive to a meeting within about one hour, and that means the Counties in England.
Since the abolition of Counties in Wales our nearest equivalents to the English Counties are the 5 Regions for the purpose of the D’Hondt System of Proportional Representation at the Welsh Assembly. But in EU terms Wales is a Region – so the 5 sub-divisions become Sub-Regions. Therefore, to avoid semantic confusion, I will call the 5 Regions or Sub-Regions “Counties”.
At the conference please consider the following propositions:
In order to increase our representation to the Assembly in 3 years time should we have
- 5 fully functioning County Branches including all UKIP members in each County
- a Wales Committee reporting to an All Wales Conference to approve policies for the Assembly.
The enclosed Agenda [Ed: published separately] allows for detailed discussion of these proposals.
If you want to create democratic UKIP institutions in Wales
Please attend the Conference. Your views are important. Everyone will have a right to speak.