Immigration will be a key consideration for many in the coming election. It is interesting to compare the approach of the UK government with that which we native Brits might face elsewhere.

I have worked on and off in Bangkok for much of the last twenty years. There are significant differences in immigration law between Thailand and the UK. The differences might provide a pointer to the necessary changes in UK immigration law and give some confidence that, with the will, they are possible. The Immigration Department here is part of the police and is well staffed.

Working in Thailand

No foreigner from other than a neighbouring country, where there are some concessions, is allowed to work without a work permit. A work permit is not obtained easily and requires proof of the need for employment and of qualifications and experience which are not available locally. All manual work and low skilled work is specifically excluded. In fact, if taken literally, those exclusions would cover more or less anything. The above concessions relate mainly to low skilled manual workers from adjacent countries necessary to supplement available local labour. (Unemployment is low, currently 1.3%). Work permits must be renewed annually and are cancelled with 7 days notice on termination of employment along with the accompanying visa. They cannot be transferred to a new employer, so unless the employee has the means to obtain a different visa he must leave the country within that 7 days.

Exceptions are permitted for setting up a business but that business must employ a minimum of 4 Thai workers for every foreigner and satisfy requirements a minimum investment of 10 million Thai Baht (around £230,000 at the current exchange rate) in the business or property along with other complex rules.. There is a short term (normally 2 weeks renewable for a further 2 weeks) arrangement whereby a foreigner may work for a company that can justify the need but this seems to happen rarely.

Staying without Working


Tourists from most countries are normally allowed entry for a period of 30 days without a visa. They are required to have a return ticket although that was not always checked on entry (it might be different now). It is possible more recently to obtain a multiple entry tourist visa with a validity of 6 months, but that must be obtained in the home country, requires proof of residence, proof of £5000 in the bank for the previous 6 months and proof of employment among other details. How an employed person can manage that whilst taking so much time off is beyond me.

In the past some managed to stay using regular “visa runs” into a neighbouring country to get a new 30 day visa on re-entry although in some circumstance that would have been limited to 15 days at a land border. Now those visa runs are frowned upon but some still try.  Failure to comply with the requirements will result in expulsion, no appeals or ECHR rules to be abused here.


It is possible to get an annual visa on the basis of being married to a Thai national or being a parent of a Thai. Obviously that does require being married and able to prove so to the satisfaction of the immigration officer including interviewing the spouse. The foreigner must also prove that he either has sufficient income or the equivalent in savings in a Thai bank.  The income or savings of the Thai spouse will not be taken into account. The same process has to be repeated annually.


Similarly it is possible to get a visa for retirement once one has reached the age of 50. In that case the income requirement is twice that required for marriage. Again the process has to be repeated annually and proof of income provided.

Other Requirements

All classes of visa other than a short term tourist visa require that the holder reports his current address to immigration every 90 days. For a time that could, if one were lucky, be done on line. Otherwise it can be done by post or attendance in person (or via an agent) at an immigration office. Owners of hotels and rented accommodation are also required to notify the arrival of a foreigner with 24 hours. Failure to notify will result in a fine and, in the case of the 90 day notification or failure to renew a visa,  possible exclusion from the country for period dependent upon the length of the period of overstay.

Visa applications may be submitted in English but most supporting documentation will have to be translated into Thai and the translation verified by the Ministry Foreign Affairs. There are no free translations here for such documents although the common application forms are available in English. Foreigners are expected to carry their passports or a decent copy of the main and visa pages at all times.

Gaining Thai Nationality

In theory it is possible to gain Thai nationality by working in Thailand for a minimum of 5 years and being married to a Thai for that period along with many other requirements.

The time required and financial requirements mean that people taking this route are small in number and are further restricted by quota.

The Comparison

Legal Immigrants

Aside from a temporary student visa or visitor visa, gaining the right to live and work in the UK is a lengthy and expensive process requiring:

  • Sponsorship by a spouse or parent
  • Minimum income level for sponsor or savings (only above £16,000 counts)
  • English language test for applicant
  • Freedom from tuberculosis where prevalent in the home country
  • Interview in home country

Gaining ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) requires the passing of further English tests and a minimum qualification period along with more costs. Up until that point they may still be deported for any transgression of the rules.

Obtaining nationality requires more of the same and passing a “Life in the UK” test, which would tax most UK nationals without studying for it, followed by taking an oath of allegiance. The rules are complex and restrictions on time out of the country apply.

Illegal Immigrants (aka “asylum seekers” or “refugees”)

Contrast the above with the lax or non-existent rules applied to these people, i.e. none. Furthermore they receive all kinds of benefits which would be hard to obtain for a native Brit and impossible to obtain for a legal immigrant. So we already have TB back in our country after having been all but eliminated and a mass of unemployable people to support.

Worse still is the clear majority of young fit males and the obvious issues such as the Rotherham Rapes which they bring with them. Less obvious is the growth of a potential army of the Soldiers of Islam, no doubt armed in their un-policed ghettos. Shouldn’t these people be defending their country rather than running away?

Even for those wishing to work the minimum wage is an attraction to those who don’t understand the cost of living difference. (e.g. Thailand around £7 per day).

They seem to a have very easy time in the UK by comparison.

Which government has the right policies?


Muslim immigrants have already achieved critical mass, i.e. their numbers combined with differential reproduction rates means that they will form a large enough proportion of our population to effectively take over government and transform the UK into an Islamic state. They do not need a majority to do that since many of our own take no interest in the matter and too many on the left of reality actually support them in the false belief that they will integrate. One only needs to look at other countries with a significant Muslim presence to understand that their integration is an impossible dream.

We can only preserve the inheritance of those who will come after us by:

  1. A rigorous policy on immigration
  2. Restrictions on the right of those already here to hold public office or vote
  3. Closing of Islamic education facilities
  4. An absolute ban on new mosques and closing down of those that preach extremism
  5. A policy for repatriation starting with mandatory deportation of the troublemakers.

Can UKIP rise to the challenge or will we have to take up arms to save our country?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email