No deal

Mail
Britain must be ready for a French ‘go slow’ designed to cripple trade if negotiations with the EU fail, Dominic Raab warned today. The Brexit Secretary raised the prospect as he complained that the bloc was being ‘deliberately intransigent’ in the talks. He also delivered a stark message to MPs against trying to ‘wreck’ any package Theresa May does manage to bring home, and said the Irish authorities should be ‘well aware’ of the consequences of refusing to compromise. The combative stance came as Mr Raab took questions in the Commons with the Brexit situation on a knife edge. 

Telegraph
Dominic Raab has warned that Britain will leave the EU without a deal if Brussels takes a “deliberately intransigent” approach to talks. The Brexit Secretary also said that French authorities in Calais could adopt a “go-slow” approach which would cause chaos for trade across the English Channel. The European Commission rejected Mr Raab’s criticisms, insisting it was working to reach a deal. Mr Raab told MPs in the Commons: “There certainly is a risk of no deal, especially if the EU engage in a deliberately intransigent approach.”

Sky News
The UK could experience a “no deal” departure from the EU if the bloc takes a “deliberately intransigent approach” to Brexit negotiations, MPs have been told. Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab made the warning to the House of Commons on Thursday, amid reports the government is ready to introduce parliamentary preparations for a no deal divorce in less than three weeks’ time. Legislation to prepare the UK for a no deal Brexit will be launched in the second week of November, including at least four new bills, according to The Times.

Express
DOMINIC RAAB warned the EU that the UK will leave with no deal if they are “deliberately intransigent” when it comes to negotiation talks. Mr Raab added that if France adopted a “go-slow” policy with Calais, it would create chaos with trade across the English Channel. The EU responded to the Brexit Secretary’s remarks by saying that they are trying to reach a deal. While speaking in the Commons, Mr Raab said: “There certainly is a risk of no deal, especially if the EU engage in a deliberately intransigent approach.” According to Theresa May, a Brexit deal is 95 percent complete with the Irish border being the main ongoing stumbling block.

Brexit

Sun
THERESA May will trigger full scale plans for No Deal within three weeks, it has been revealed. The Prime Minister will hit go on detailed emergency plans to get everyone ready for not securing an agreement in November, which would see current Commons business ditched. If there’s not an agreement on the cards by then, ministers will be forced to put forward a series of new bills to get passed by March 2019, when Britain officially leaves the EU. At least four are needed to guarantee the rights of EU citizens and on fishing beforehand.

Guardian
A leading Brexiter has claimed to have seen an extract of the UK’s draft withdrawal agreement and says it will give voting rights to all EU citizens who stay in the UK. Daniel Hannan, a Conservative founder of Vote Leave, told fellow Conservative MEPs on Thursday that he had been given sight of key Brexit papers, which are supposed to be a closely-guarded secret among senior ministers and civil servants. In a WhatsApp message to other MEPs, Hannan said that the agreement would give voting rights to all EU citizens in England and Northern Ireland.

Sun
THERESA May’s hopes of a November Brexit breakthrough were plunged into fresh doubt after No10 shelved plans to present a compromise to her bitterly divided Cabinet. The PM cancelled a meeting of her inner team, with Whitehall insiders now admitting Brussels will have to wait until after next week’s Budget for any attempt to thaw stalled divorce talks. Plans to pitch new solutions to the EU this week on how the UK will make the insurance backstop option acceptable to both Tories, the DUP and the EU have been delayed amid turmoil in Whitehall.

Breitbart
Just 19 percent of the British public have faith in the Prime Minister’s ability to deliver a good Brexit, opinion polling suggests, in news that will inevitably pile further pressure on Theresa May’s leadership at a time where she is facing a potential leadership challenge from members of her own Conservative Party. While sentiment on the possible impact of Brexit on British standards of living remains comparatively stable, concern about British Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit has soared. Just 19 percent believe May will “get a good Brexit deal for Britain”, while 78 percent are “not confident”, the latest release of Political Monitor figures by British polling firm Ipsos Mori reveals.

Fisheries

BBC News
The UK will get a “fairer share” of fishing stocks after Brexit, ministers have promised. The government is publishing its Fisheries Bill which will determine how its stocks are managed after the UK leaves the EU. At the moment, quotas are assigned to each EU member state, with limits on species. The UK says it gets a bad deal under these current arrangements, known as the Common Fisheries Policy. In 2014, half of UK fish production was exported to the EU, a quarter to outside the EU and a quarter was consumed domestically. Under new arrangements, the UK will still take part in annual negotiations, but will control access to a 200 nautical mile “exclusive economic zone” around its coastline.

Westmonster
A new Fisheries Bill has been cautiously welcomed by the pro-Brexit group Fishing for Leave, however the campaigners warn it could take years to come into effect. The Fisheries Bill according to the government will “take back control of UK waters” through measures such as “by ending current automatic rights for EU vessels to fish in UK waters”. Environment Secretary Michael Gove hailed the Bill saying:  “The Fisheries Bill will regenerate coastal communities, take back control of our waters and, through better conservation measures, allow our precious marine environment to thrive.”

Falklands

Telegraph
Argentina would exploit the fallout from a no-deal Brexit to further its efforts to bring the Falklands under its control, the country’s foreign minister has said. Jorge Faurie told 
The Telegraph that Argentina would use the situation to “enhance” its own diplomatic push to pull the islands away from the UK and towards Buenos Aires. Once the UK leaves the European Union, all EU treaties will cease to apply and member states will no longer be obliged to support the UK’s claim over the territory.

Mail
Brexit brings a chance to strengthen ties between Argentina and the Falkland Islands, the country’s foreign minister said yesterday. Jorge Faurie met with his counterpart Jeremy Hunt in London where the pair discussed increasing trade and travel links between the islands and South America. Afterwards Mr Faurie said: ‘Our plan is to generate a greater link between the mainland and the insular part.’   Rightly or wrongly, some interpreted his comments as part of a plot to use Brexit to ultimately take control of the islands. 

Second referendum

Express
BRUSSELS-backing peers have been accused of “seriously undermining” Britain’s position in the Brexit negotiations by demanding a fresh EU referendum. A string of unelected parliamentarians pleaded for another national poll on the UK’s links with the European bloc during a House of Lords debate on the issue yesterday. One even called for leading Leave campaigners Boris Johnson and Michael Gove to be “imprisoned” for alleged “lies” during the run up to the 2016 in-or-out vote on the country’s membership of the EU. But a Government frontbencher warned that the demands for a so-called “People’s Vote” on a Brexit deal between the UK and the bloc risked wrecking the negotiations.

Labour Party

Mail
John McDonnell faced a backlash today over his demand for a ‘huge’ £108billion a year spending splurge to ‘end austerity’. The shadow chancellor was warned his plans would reverse eight years of work trying to balance the books, and allow the deficit to spiral once again. And he refused five times to rule out increasing fuel duty as part of efforts to drum up cash for a left-wing government’s programme. The respected Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) think-tank said the spending platform set out by the Opposition at the election last year had been ‘huge’. But it pointed out that those proposals – totalling £40billion a year in day-to-day outlay plus many times more in capital spend – actually meant giving less to the NHS than the Tory government and did not cover the bill for reversing benefit cuts. 

Express
JOHN McDonnell has been blasted for spending plans that would “crash the economy” as the Labour Shadow Chancellor railed against Philip Hammond’s 2018 Budget. Mr McDonnell claimed Chancellor Philip Hammond was “dreading a budget delivered on Halloween” and called on Prime Minister Theresa May to make good on her pledge to end austerity.
But Chief Secretary to the Treasury Liz Truss has hit back by claiming Labour’s alternative proposals, which would involve increased taxation, would “crash the economy”. Mr Hammond will announce his annual budget next week, armed with better than expected public finances, but needing to balance any generosity with caution over the massive uncertainty posed by Brexit.

Plastic

Mail
The European Parliament has overwhelmingly backed a wide-ranging ban on single-use plastics to counter pollution in seas, fields and waterways. Under the new rules, some single-use plastic products with readily available alternatives such as straws, would be banned by 2021. EU states would be obliged to recycle 90 percent of plastic bottles by 2025, while producers to help cover costs of waste management. EU lawmakers added polystyrene fast-food containers and products made of oxo-degradable plastics, which critics say do not fully break down, to the list proposed by the EU executive earlier this year.  Under the plan, fishing nets, which are now a key pollutant in the EU’s Mediterranean sea and Atlantic ocean, will have to be produced differently, too.

Facebook

Sun
KIDS under 13 could be banned from Facebook, Twitter and other social media giants under new laws proposed by health secretary Matt Hancock. He said social media firms should be legally required to stop under-aged children joining their sites. Launching an all-out attack on the companies, he accused them of doing “absolutely nothing” to enforce minimum age rules. In an interview with Parliament’s House magazine, he said he “absolutely” backed a minimum and enforced legal age requirement to use the sites.

Universal credit

Times
Esther McVey, the work and pensions secretary, is today accused by MPs of presiding over a “culture of indifference” to the “desperate hardship” being caused by the universal credit policy. In a highly critical report the public accounts committee (PAC) will say Ms McVey and the Department of Work and Pensions “persistently dismissed evidence” of the “unacceptable difficulties” that the new benefits system was creating. It accuses the DWP of operating under a “fortress mentality”, dismissing the concerns of charities and local authorities who have had to deal with the consequences of the policy.

Independent
Disabled people are losing £300 a month under the universal credit system, fuelling concern that the welfare reform is causing more hardship for many of the claimants it was designed to help.  Citizens Advice said the new benefit system was “penalising” single disabled people due to flaws in its design, leaving them worse off compared to the previous structure. It comes as a report by the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) accused ministers of turning a “deaf ear” to concerns about the controversial welfare reform, saying the government was “refusing to measure what it does not want to see”.

Mirror
Universal Credit is causing “unacceptable hardship” for many of its claimants, a public spending watchdog has found. MPs today warn the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) appears to be turning a “deaf ear” to these concerns. The Public Accounts Committee said the Tory “fortress mentality” is failing claimants who are struggling to adapt. It added: “The introduction of Universal Credit is causing unacceptable hardship and difficulties for many of the claimants it was designed to help.” A “department in denial” cannot learn from mistakes and the culture needs to change, the PAC said.

Sky News
Universal Credit agents were encouraged to use a “deflection script” in order to get claimants “off the phone as quickly as possible,” a former case manager has claimed. Bayard Tarpley, a former employee at the department for work and pensions (DWP), said agents manning the phones were told by senior managers to direct claimants to their online account as much as possible, even if the problem could be solved during the call. The claims come as the public accounts committee published a damning report which claimed Universal Credit is causing “unacceptable hardship and difficulties” for claimants. MPs said the DWP was turning a “deaf ear” to concerns – and described the department as “disturbingly adrift from the real-world problems of the people it is there to support”.

Armed forces

Mail
All roles in the military are now open to women, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has announced. The historic day was marked at a land power demonstration on Salisbury Plain, involving some of the first women to join the Royal Armoured Corps. Mr Williamson announced that, as of today, women already serving in the Army are able to transfer into infantry roles, including the Special Forces. Those not currently serving will be able to apply for infantry roles in December of this year, with new recruits starting basic training in April 2019. The Defence Secretary also confirmed that women are now able to apply to join the Royal Marines, with selection starting before the end of this year.

Times
The special forces have been opened up to female applicants in a move that will allow women to serve in every role in the British military for the first time. Gavin Williamson, the defence secretary, said yesterday that from this week “for the first time in its history, our armed forces will be determined by ability alone and not gender”. He paid tribute to the women who have led the way with exemplary service in the armed forces for more than 100 years, working in a variety of specialist and vital roles. The policy change was met with scorn by some longstanding sceptics.

Prison

Mail
Around 25 attacks on prison staff are recorded every day as record levels of violence sweep through jails in England and Wales. Official figures show assault and self-harm incidents behind bars have increased again to record levels. There were 9,485 assaults on staff in the 12 months to June 2018, up 27% from the previous year, a Ministry of Justice report showed. Of those, 947 were classed as ‘serious’ – such as those which require medical treatment or result in fractures, burns, or extensive bruising. The number of assaults on staff in the three months to June increased by 4% to a new record quarterly tally of 2,515 incidents.

Times
Violent attacks in jails have reached a record high as the prison service struggles to tackle out-of-control drug use and the influence of gangs on the wings. Official figures published yesterday indicated no end in sight to the violence engulfing prisons in England and Wales. Fuelled by banned psychoactive substances, debts and gangs, the assaults by prisoners on other inmates and attacks on prison officers have increased despite hopes that extra staff would help to turn the tide. Assaults on staff rose by more than a quarter in the year to June, and prisoner-on-prisoner attacks rose by a fifth.

Morning Star
AROUND 25 attacks on staff are recorded every day as levels of prison violence in England and Wales have reached an all-time high. Official figures revealed today show that there were 9,485 assaults on staff in the 12 months to June this year, with 947 classed as “serious” and requiring medical attention. This is a huge increase of 27 per cent on the previous year, a Ministry of Justice (MoJ) report showed. The MoJ report Safety In Custody claimed that there has been a change in how assaults are recorded, which may have contributed to the increase. Prison staff union POA chair Mark Fairhurst said: “In the most hostile and violent workplace in Western Europe I find it abhorrent that some governors attempt to carry on as normal, despite their jails being inherently violent.

New homes

Mail
An area of countryside the size of Birmingham will be lost under plans to build a million new homes on land between Oxford and Cambridge, campaigners have claimed. The National Infrastructure Commission has recommended the creation of new towns between the cities by 2050 in a £5.5billion development. The Campaign to Protect Rural England said it would mean the loss of 67,000 acres of farmland and woodland. The Government is expected to approve the scheme on Monday. Analysis by the CPRE suggests there is capacity for just 50,000 houses on previously developed – or brownfield – land within the area known as the Oxford-Milton Keynes-Cambridge Corridor, also called the Growth Arc.

Football

Telegraph
Martin Glenn, the Football Association chief executive, is calling for a cash raid on the booming sports gambling industry as part of his alternative funding plan for the grass-roots game after the collapse of the £600 million Wembley deal. In his most extensive interview since American billionaire Shahid Khan dramatically withdrew his offer, Glenn welcomed 
The Daily Telegraph proposals to raise income from football betting as he revealed the FA was now exploring a so-called “fair return” – potentially worth tens of millions every year. Glenn also said this newspaper’s Save Our Game campaign was “absolutely right” to call for slashing of bureaucracy in the amateur game, explaining the FA was working on a digital database of millions of players to ensure county chiefs could reduce paperwork.

Telegraph
Wembley Stadium will mount its biggest security operation when England play the United States in a friendly on Nov 15, with a total ban on supporters taking in bags – evidence, the Football Association has told 
The Daily Telegraph, of spiralling future costs of running the venue. Martin Glenn, the FA chief executive, said that the FA had been advised that Wembley remained a “prime security target” and that the cost of running the stadium, after American billionaire NFL franchise owner Shahid Khan pulled out of his proposed £600 million purchase, would only rise.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email