Theresa May is to offer voters a vision of how Britain will prosper outside the EU as she seeks to put the Tory election campaign back on track amid claims of infighting. The prime minister will return to the themes of her Lancaster House address — that Brexit will free the UK to build a fairer, richer society — in a keynote campaign speech tomorrow. The more positive message is intended to halt the drop in the Tory poll lead since the party promised to cut pensioner benefits and force thousands more to pay for social care in its manifesto. The Manchester attack a week ago came just after Mrs May caved into pressure from panicking Tory candidates to cap care costs.
THE Conservatives have hit back at Nick Clegg after the former Lib Dem leader suggested the Prime Minister’s Brexit approach “poses a direct threat to national security”. Mr Clegg believes that leaving the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) could hamper the abilities of British intelligence services in the fight against terror. Theresa May has previously suggested that withdrawing from the ECJ will be a top priority in Britain’s EU exit talks, claiming in January that the UK “will not have truly left the European Union if we are not in control of our own laws”. She added: “Leaving the European Union will mean that our laws will be made in Westminster, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast. “And those laws will be interpreted by judges not in Luxembourg but in courts across this country.”
Paul Nuttall has called for the death penalty for terrorists and child murderers, and he even offered to finish them off himself. That would mean curtains for the likes of Lee Rigby’s sick Islamist killers Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale. “I would like to see the death penalty for terrorists and child killers,” the UKIP Leader said. When asked by The Mail if he would act as executioner himself, Nuttall simply replied: “Yes.” Nuttall, who is standing to become MP in Boston and Skegness, said: “If enough people called for a referendum on this we would be only too happy to offer them one.” A recent ICM poll showed 65% of people would support the death penalty for terrorists and 65% want capital punishment brought back for child killers.
UKIP leader Paul Nuttall last night called for the return of the death penalty for terrorists and child killers – and volunteered to carry out the executions himself. He said he would not flinch from personally opening the hangman’s trap door – or pulling the trigger. Mr Nuttall backed a referendum on the issue – and said it would result in the return of the death penalty, abolished in 1965. Talking to The Mail on Sunday in Westminster’s Morpeth Arms pub, he said: ‘I would like to see the death penalty for terrorists and child killers.’ Asked if he was prepared to act as executioner, he replied: ‘Yes.’
Theresa May will not reveal at what level the Conservatives’ social care policy will be capped before the election, members of her cabinet have admitted. The Tories announced there would be a cap to ease the burden of the “dementia tax” after the policy triggered a backlash. But Amber Rudd, the UK home secretary, said the party was not sure about the maximum amount people should contribute towards their care costs – and that a variety of options would be considered after the election. Asked by the BBC’s Andrew Marr whether that meant the cap could be as high as £200,000 or £300,000, and therefore not provide much reassurance to pensioners nervous about the new system, she said: “I think that what people should realise is that we know that people are living longer. “The next decade there’s going to be another 2 million people over 75, which is great news, but we have to be frank that this is going to cost money. We have to find a way that is fair for people to pay for it. This is the best route to do it.”
THE son of Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi has warned the UK faces an unprecedented wave of terror from Libya. Khaled al-Megrahi claimed Western Powers had left a power vacuum in Libya after ridding the country of the feared Colonel Gaddafi in 2011. The 32-year-old shared the chilling warning from his home in Tripoli announcing the UK had brought the Manchester terror attack – which left 22 dead – upon itself. Khaled said that the UK and the US airstrikes during the 2011 uprising against Gaddafi had allowed rival militias to take over the country and for terrorist groups to bread. Monday’s suicide attack was carried out by 22-year-old Salman Abedi, who was born in the UK to Libyan refugee parents. And last night, Khaled warned that the streets of Tripoli were full of young terror hopefuls like Abedi eager to die as “martyrs”.
FEARS of a Libyan-fuelled wave of terror were sparked yesterday by the son of the Lockerbie bomber. Security experts backed a claim by Khaled al-Megrahi that cities like Tripoli are a fertile breeding ground for Islamic State assassins who are desperate to carry out terrorist attacks on British soil. Yesterday’s warning came six days after British-Libyan suicide bomber Salman Abedi killed 22 people at Manchester Arena. It contradicts conventional security thinking that the main IS threat comes from jihadis returning to Britain from the Syrian warzone. Libyan-born Mr al-Megrahi, 32 – whose father Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was convicted of killing 270 people in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 – said his country was a hotbed of terrorists. He warned that militant gangs have taken over since international forces pulled out following the removal of Colonel Gaddafi. “Today it was Manchester, but tomorrow it will be some other place,” he said.
ISIS jihadis have learned horrifying lessons from the Manchester attack are plotting to unleash new terror tactics, Daily Star Online can reveal. Suicide bomber Salman Abedi killed 22 people at the Manchester Arena placing Britain on “critical alert” for the first time over a decade. Armed cops and soldiers have flooded across Britain as detectives supported by the SAS tear apart a suspected ISIS network. But experts believe his attack could pave the way for new type of jihadi terror with fresh targets – and there is little we can do to prevent an attack. Daily Star Online can reveal the experts believe the jihadi threat has expanded to “nationwide” levels and may have set it sights on the North West of England. ISIS experts suspect sick jihadis will have learned from the Manchester attack that provincial towns and cities are now prime targets for terror. Police chiefs have previously called for an increase in armed police officers across UK outside of London to better defend regions from ISIS.
Suspected Islamist terrorists are being prevented from returning to the UK for the first time, the home secretary has disclosed, as she warned that members of the Manchester bomber’s terror network could still be at large. As questions continue over how the intelligence services failed to monitor the movements of attacker Salman Abedi, Amber Rudd refused to rule out further anti-terror laws to clamp down on suspected jihadis. Temporary exclusion orders make it unlawful for the subject to come back without engaging with UK authorities. Rudd refused to say how many times they had been used, but confirmed: “We have started to use them.” The home secretary also admitted the authorities did not know how many Britons had returned from fighting with Islamic State or other extremists in Syria.
The Prime Minister has set out her plans for a “Commission for Countering Extremism” in the wake of the Manchester terror attack. Theresa May said that, as well as governments intervening to tackle extremism if it turns criminal, people can do more to stand up for British values, where Islamist extremism undermines them. “Britain is one of the world’s most successful multiracial, multireligious and multicultural societies. But our enjoyment of Britain’s diversity must not prevent us from confronting the menace of extremism, even if that is sometimes embarrassing or difficult to do,” Ms May said.
More than half of those surveyed following the Manchester terror attack agree that British citizens who travel to Syria to fight with jihadist groups should not be allowed to return to Britain. When respondents were asked what should happen to “British citizens who have travelled to fight in Syria, Libya or other warzones and then seek to return to Britain”, 55 per cent agreed they should “be blocked from re-entering Britain”. Twenty-two per cent thought British foreign fighters should “be allowed to re-enter Britain, but be monitored by the security services and have restrictions placed on their freedom”. Eight per cent thought they should be prosecuted and sent to prison, and only three per cent thought they should be “allowed to enter without any special restrictions” (12 per cent did not know).
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has elevated the EU nationalist rhetoric with a swipe at both the UK and the US as she and other seek to push for a increasingly integrated European Union. “And that is why I can only say that we Europeans must really take our fate into our own hands – of course in friendship with the United States of America, in friendship with Great Britain and as good neighbours wherever that is possible also with other countries, even with Russia,” she said. “But we have to know that we must fight for our future on our own, for our destiny as Europeans.” The message is clear: with Britain having voted to break free from Brussels and Donald Trump making clear that the United States will no longer be bankrolling European defence, Merkel wants a more centralised, even more inwards-looking EU.
Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, has indicated Europe can no longer completely rely on its American and British allies in the wake of Brexit and the election of US President Donald Trump, declaring the continent’s destiny is in “our own hands”. Her extraordinary comments followed meetings of European leaders with Mr Trump at Nato and the G7. Mrs Merkel, speaking at an election campaign event in a Bavarian beer tent, said it had served as a wake-up call. She said: “The times in which we can fully count on others are somewhat over, as I have experienced in the past few days. “And so, all I can say is that we Europeans must really take our destiny into our own hands.” Referencing Brexit, she said: “Of course we need to have friendly relations with the US, and with the UK, and with other neighbours, including Russia.”
Angela Merkel warned fellow EU members yesterday that they could no longer rely on their traditional allies the US and Britain after a bruising G7 summit that led many in Berlin to feel that a new era had dawned for the West. The German chancellor urged the remaining EU nations to be resolute in forging their own path away from the cold shoulders being shown by Washington and London. Mrs Merkel’s wake-up call was driven primarily by the behaviour of President Trump in Italy, who refused to endorse the 2015 Paris climate change deal or confirm that the US stood by the Nato commitment to come to the military aid of another member if attacked.
Europe can no longer “completely depend” on the US and UK following the election of President Trump and Brexit, German Chancellor Angela Merkel says. Mrs Merkel said she wanted friendly relations with both countries as well as Russia but Europe now had to “fight for its own destiny”. Her comments come after Mr Trump refused to re-commit to the 2015 Paris climate deal at the G7 summit. Mrs Merkel is on the campaign trail ahead of elections in September. “The times in which we could completely depend on others are on the way out. I’ve experienced that in the last few days,” Mrs Merkel told a crowd at an election rally in Munich, southern Germany. The relationship between Berlin and new French President Emmanuel Macron had to be a priority, Mrs Merkel said, adding: “We Europeans have to take our destiny into our own hands.”
British Airways has presided over the worst airport chaos for decades with disruption set to continue for days, one of its own senior pilots admitted last night. More than 100,000 passengers have had their half term and Bank Holiday travel plans thrown into chaos after a computer meltdown, with passengers set to face a third day of disruption at Heathrow. Many have had their flights cancelled, have been separated from their luggage or are now stranded abroad as the airline struggles to recover from Saturday’s incident. And BA – who face a £50 million compensation bill – have now warned travellers that it may be several days before normal service can resume. It has also emerged that the airline refused offers of assistance from its own IT supplier to resolve the problem.
British Airways is facing losses of more than £150 million after the most serious IT failure in UK aviation history. Short-haul passengers at Heathrow could face more disruption today as the airline deals with the effect of cancelling or delaying more than 1,000 weekend flights. Some travellers had to spend two nights sleeping on the floor or in local hotels that were accused of profiteering by charging more than £1,000 a night. BA said today that it would run a full schedule of long-haul flights from Heathrow and a “high proportion” of its short-haul programme. Passengers were advised to check their flights before travelling.
The beleaguered boss of British Airways tried to gag staff from commenting on the computer meltdown that has plunged hundreds of thousands of passengers into chaos. Alex Cruz, who was brought in to cut costs at the airline, has so far refused to be publicly questioned on the crisis that has ruined families’ holidays. Instead, the Spanish businessman has chosen to record a series of video messages issued via BA’s Twitter account. Mr Cruz has been bombarded by messages from staff seeking an explanation for the chaos to pass on to passengers.
BA CHIEFS are facing the prospect of a record £150million compensation bill as passengers were warned their flight cancellation nightmare was far from over. Airports were reduced to a second day of Bank Holiday chaos as stranded holidaymakers slept on yoga mats on the floor beside piled-up luggage. More than a third of flights from Heathrow Airport were cancelled as software engineers battled on to restore the firm’s IT system. But critics blamed BA chief executive Alex Cruz for lacking experience and said the firm blundered by farming British jobs overseas to save money.
British Airways passengers are facing a third day of travel chaos at Heathrow as the airline continues to deal with the aftermath of a global IT crash. Both Heathrow and Gatwick airports have warned travellers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airports. BA said it will run a full schedule at Gatwick and intends to operate a full long-haul schedule and a “high proportion” of its short-haul programme on Monday. The airline said it was continuing to make “good progress” in recovering from the worldwide IT glitch that grounded scores of planes, leaving thousands of passengers grounded.