THE EUROZONE economy could plunge after declines in global trade triggered a manufacturing crisis, putting the risk of a recession in Germany “high”. The eurozone economy came close to stalling in September after sharp declines in global trade and a possible no deal Brexit triggered a fall in manufacturing output. The fall, the fastest in nearly seven years, raised alarm bells for economies across Europe and added further pressure to arguments in favour of a strong and tightly regulated eurozone. Among the drivers of the decline was Germany, whose private sector feared a growing threat to international trade as a result of the US-China trade war, of which had left it in the worst position since 2009.
The head of the European Central Bank says the economy in the 19-country eurozone is not showing signs of a rebound and urged governments to help by spending more on top of the central bank’s latest package of stimulus measures. Mario Draghi said in remarks Monday before the European Parliament’s economic and monetary affairs committee Monday in Brussels that recent data “do not show convincing signs of a rebound in growth in the near future” and that risks are “tilted to the downside.”
It is “difficult to see” how a Brexit deal on the Irish border can be reached, the EU’s chief negotiator has said. Michel Barnier told reporters that “the current state” of UK thinking on the issue meant that a replacement for the backstop looks improbable – raising the prospect of a no-deal exit in October. Boris Johnson has ruled out agreeing to the policy, which is supposed to prevent a hard border in Ireland – but the EU says it will not sign a deal without the backstop or an alternative that achieves the same effect.
Michel Barnier has described Boris Johnson’s solution for replacing the Irish backstop as “unacceptable” as the EU’s chief negotiator gave his most downbeat assessment yet of the chances of striking a Brexit deal by 31 October. Standing alongside the German foreign minister, Heiko Maas following a meeting in Berlin, Barnier said the UK government’s position had to change for there to be any hope of success. The British prime minister had declared on his way to New York for the UN general assembly that he was “cautiously optimistic” he could persuade key EU leaders to accept his proposals for the Irish border.
PRIME MINISTER Boris Johnson’s repeated attacks on the Brussels bloc and unbending stance in Brexit negotiations have sparked frustration among EU officials, a source with knowledge of the situation told French broadcaster Franceinfo on Sunday. Divorce talks have stalled over the backstop, an insurance policy aimed at avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland by having Britain temporarily follow the bloc’s trade rules. And Mr Johnson’s attitude towards Brussels is thought to have “stoked irritation”.
Boris Johnson failed to achieve a ‘New York breakthrough’ on Brexit after a series of meetings with Angela Merkel, Emmanuel Macron and Donald Tusk. The Prime Minister had downplayed his chances of securing a new deal ahead of meetings with key EU leaders during the United Nations General Assembly. After leaving their bilateral meeting on Monday, Mr Tusk lamented that there had been ‘no breakthrough’ and that there is ‘no time to lose’ with the October 31 deadline looming. The PM had told Mr Tusk that the UK needs ‘to see movement and flexibility from the EU’ in order to reach a deal, according to Downing Street.
Boris Johnson has refused to rule out suspending parliament again if the supreme court rules on Tuesday that he abused his powers as prime minister in doing so earlier this month. The British prime minister, who is in New York for a UN summit, also indicated he would not feel obliged to resign if the justices rule he misled the Queen in his reasons for suspending parliament. Asked if he felt a verdict going against him would make his position untenable, Johnson said: “No. I think the reasons for wanting a Queen’s speech are extremely good.”
Boris Johnson would have no option but to recall MPs to Westminster if the supreme court rules he misled the Queen, senior legal sources told the Observer yesterday. There is a growing belief in the legal community that the court will find against the government when it hands down its momentous verdict on Johnson’s decision to prorogue parliament. The prospect of the court finding against the prime minister has left the UK heading towards a “constitutional eruption of volcanic proportions”, according to another senior legal figure who asked not to be named. He said he also believed the case would go against the government.
The highest court in the UK is set to make a historic ruling on whether Boris Johnson’s decision to suspend Parliament for five weeks was lawful. Ministers say the suspension, or prorogation, is not a court matter, but critics argue it was intended to limit scrutiny of the PM’s Brexit plans. If the judgement – due at 10:30 BST – goes against Mr Johnson, Parliament could be reconvened immediately. The government has said it will “abide by the ruling” of the Supreme Court. But Mr Johnson – who is in New York for a UN climate conference – has refused to rule out seeking to prorogue Parliament for a second time if the ruling goes against him.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to find out the ruling of the UK’s highest court over the legality of his advice to the Queen to suspend Parliament for five weeks. A panel of 11 Supreme Court justices will announce their findings at 1030am on Tuesday following a historic hearing in London last week. The judges have been asked to rule on whether the Prime Minister’s advice to the Queen to prorogue Parliament until October 14 was unlawful.
The Supreme Court will today decide if Boris Johnson’s decision to suspend parliament until 14 October was unlawful. Speaking to journalists as he headed for the UN climate action summit conference in New York, the prime minister refused to rule out resigning if the court found against him. A panel of 11 justices heard appeals over three days arising out of separate legal challenges in England and Scotland.
Boris Johnson has insisted that he will not resign if he is found to have misled the Queen over his purpose in asking her to approve the five-week suspension of parliament. The prime minister was defiant on the eve of today’s Supreme Court ruling on claims that the prorogation was unlawful because the prime minister did not disclose his real reasons. Mr Johnson again denied that when he asked the monarch to suspend parliament for more than a month it was to limit its ability to influence the Brexit outcome as he travelled to New York.
Boris Johnson has vowed to cling on to power should the Supreme Court find he lied to the Queen over his decision to shut down Westminster. The 11 justices of the highest court in the land will deliver a historic verdict over the legality of the Prime Minister’s move to prorogue Parliament for five weeks. Mr Johnson has been accused of an “abuse of power” in the case, but will be in New York when the ruling is delivered.
Boris Johnson has hinted he plans to cling to office even if the Supreme Court decides he misled the Queen when he shut down parliament, in Tuesday’s momentous ruling. Asked if such a finding – that he concealed his true motive was to silence parliament over Brexit – would make his position “untenable”, the prime minister replied: “No”. Until now, Mr Johnson has refused to comment on what he will do if the government loses the Supreme Court action, in a judgment to be delivered at 10.30am. It will still be dark in New York City when he hears the verdict on accusations that he acted unlawfully, with an “abuse of power”, by proroguing parliament for five weeks.
Jeremy Corbyn was accused of a “stitch-up” on Monday night after Labour MPs claimed one of his lieutenants changed the course of a key Brexit vote to prevent a damaging defeat for him. Amid chaotic scenes at the party’s conference, Jennie Formby, Labour’s general secretary, appeared to overrule the chairman of the party’s ruling body who thought members had rejected the leader’s Brexit policy. Had he lost the vote, Labour would have become a Remain-backing party against his wishes, leaving his future in doubt.
LABOUR’S crisis is showing no signs of letting up as delegates voted down motion for the party to campaign for Remain if a second Brexit referendum is held. Labour Party members were persuaded to do so by Jeremy Corbyn who wants to remain neutral on the EU issue until after a general election is held. They vote, by a show of hands, marks a victory for Mr Corbyn after his party’s conference in Brighton got off to a rocky start on Saturday. But following the vote scenes of chaos ensued, with many Labour supporters in the packed hall angered that delegates were not asked to vote on card.
Labour will fight the next general election without a position on Brexit after Jeremy Corbyn won a critical conference vote amid claims that his supporters stitched up the result. During chaotic scenes at the party’s conference in Brighton yesterday, delegates rejected by a show of hands a motion calling on Labour to support remaining in the European Union in a potential future referendum. The decision means that Labour will go into the next election without a clear Brexit position. Instead it will promise to renegotiate Theresa May’s Brexit deal and put it to a second referendum.
Private schools have warned that Labour’s bid to abolish them is illegal – as a poll found voters oppose the move by a margin of two to one. A motion passed by party activists last night calls for the assets of independent schools to be ‘redistributed democratically and fairly across the country’s educational institutions’. It effectively commits Labour to crushing the private sector and caused a furious backlash with even shadow chancellor John McDonnell appearing to distance himself from the plan, telling campaigners asset-stripping was ‘draconian’.
Business leaders accused Labour of policies that would harm workers after John McDonnell pledged that his party would introduce a four-day working week. The shadow chancellor promised that the length of the average working week would be cut to 32 hours, with no loss of pay, within a decade. Workers, not employers, should benefit from improvements in technology and automation, he told the Labour Party conference in Brighton.
John McDonnell was accused of apeing the politics of Venezuela last night after he signalled that Labour would bring in an effective four-day week – without any loss of pay. The Shadow Chancellor promised the average working week will be reduced to 32 hours within a decade under a Labour government. And he vowed to introduce a new ‘Working Time Commission’, a quango which would meet regularly to recommend increases in minimum holiday entitlements.
A Labour government will reduce the average full-time working week to 32 hours with no loss of pay within the next decade, shadow chancellor John McDonnell has announced. In a speech to the party’s annual conference in Brighton, Mr McDonnell said that – as well as pushing the move to a four-day week – Labour would set up a Working Time Commission with the power to recommend increases in statutory annual leave entitlements to be introduced “as quickly as possible without increasing unemployment”.
Brits would work just 32 hours a week with no loss of pay within a decade under a radical new policy announced by the Labour Party. Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell today vowed to drastically cut average full-time hours if he gets into 11 Downing Street. The proposal – which would cut average weekly hours from the current 37.2 – goes even further than a “sensible target” that was put forward this month in a review for Labour. John McDonnell’s pledge stops short of making 32 hours a week compulsory – instead is says only “average” hours would be cut.
Labour has vowed to build 37 new offshore wind farms if it gets into government. Under the party’s plans, the new wind farms will produce enough electricity to power 57 million homes, with offshore wind creating as much energy as 38 coal power stations by 2030. Meanwhile, the wind-farms would be 51% publicly-owned, with 20% of the profits from the publicly-owned stake pumped into a ‘People’s Power Fund’. This money – between £600 and £1,020 million-a-year – would be spent on infrastructure in “held-back coastal communities”, the party said.
After a series of votes and polls taken at the Labour Party conference laid bare the increasingly extremist hard-left nature of the party, its members, and its leadership, Brexit leader Nigel Farage has told Breitbart London extremists are winning the battle for the heart of the official UK opposition party. The British Labour party, the main opposition and sometimes party of government for almost a century has been discussing policy and platforms at its annual conference, with party members voting on a surprising raft of areas. In addition to its determination to give the vote in future national elections to foreign citizen residents — who party leaders figure would be sympathetic to their open-borders rhetoric — and decision to forcibly seize the property of private schools, Labour members polled at the conference admit to holding a range of extreme views.
A four-day week, getting rid of private schools, scrapping universal credit, abolishing the schools inspectorate, an end to prescription charges, free care for elderly people and free nursery places for toddlers. These are undoubtedly big, bold policies from a Labour conference on the eve of an election. Some of them will come with big price tags, but the leadership has made a bet that the public want policies to make their daily lives easier and that they will not be scared off by such dramatic changes if the cost falls on the very wealthiest.
Emily Thornberry has outflanked Sir Keir Starmer in the race to succeed Jeremy Corbyn as the next Labour leader by showing “leadership” in championing Remain at its party conference, a shadow cabinet minister said. The shadow foreign secretary has made a succession of prominent interventions at the party conference in Brighton as she pushed for Labour to back staying in the European Union.
Boris Johnson has insisted there will be no election pact with Nigel Farage just days after Jacob Rees-Mogg said Brexiteers “owe him a great debt”. On Monday night, the Prime Minister said the Conservative Party will contest the election in every seat as he brushed off suggestions the Tories need the Brexit Party’s support in order to win. Mr Farage has offered a non-aggression pact to the Prime Minister if he signs up fully to a no-deal departure from the EU and the Conservatives stand aside in more than 80 seats.
Boris Johnson has stamped on Nigel Farage’s call for a pact to deliver a no-deal Brexit, vowing the Tories will fight for every sat at the next election. The leader of the Brexit Party is pushing for a formal alliance to “rout” pro-EU parties, claiming: “A non-aggression pact could win a majority of 60 to 100 seats.” The idea would see the Brexit Party agree not to stand against Tory candidates fully committed to a no-deal, in return for the Conservatives giving Mr Farage’s party a clear run in Labour-held seats.
THE Conservatives will fight toe to toe with the Brexit Party in a general election by fielding a candidate in every constituency, Boris Johnson vowed last night. He said the Tories would not enter into an alliance or pact with Nigel Farage’s party in a national vote, insisting they would win it alone. And the Prime Minister again goaded Jeremy Corbyn into agreeing to an election, questioning whether the Labour leader had the “nerve” to do so.
Hundreds of millions of pounds in foreign aid may be being wasted because nobody is keeping track of how effectively the money is being spent, a damning report claims. MPs on the Commons public administration committee said not enough was being done to ensure the £14billion-a-year aid budget was going to ‘value for money’ projects. They warned that a No Deal Brexit could result in even more waste because ministers would have to rush to decide where to redirect £1.4billion of aid currently distributed via the EU.
Bosses of Thomas Cook were criticised for receiving multimillion-pound pay-outs based on aggressive accounting methods as the oldest travel company in the world collapsed yesterday. Boris Johnson criticised the directors of the company for paying themselves large sums before the 178-year-old tour company went “down the tubes”. The prime minister said it was “bewildering” that the taxpayer should be forced to pay millions to rescue 150,000 British holidaymakers stranded abroad.
Bosses at Thomas Cook pocketed a £47million pay bonanza as the firm headed for the rocks. Last night, after the travel operator was dramatically declared bankrupt, furious customers demanded executives hand back some of their ‘rewards for failure’. Boris Johnson also intervened, asking why directors had paid themselves large sums as the company went ‘down the tubes’.
There are mounting calls for Thomas Cook bosses to hand over the millions they pocketed in bonuses as thousands of loyal staff lose their jobs. Travel giant Thomas Cook collapsed suddenly leaving its 21,000 employees – 9,000 of which were based in the UK – out of work. But, it has emerged that bosses pocketed nearly £47million in bonuses since 2007. Chief Executive Peter Frankhauser, 58, took home an annual salary of £725,000 since he took on the role in 2015.
STRANDED holidaymakers have been forced to sleep on airport floors as thousands battle nine-hour queues following Thomas Cook’s collapse. Brits in Greece, Mexico and Spain are waiting to be rescued and repatriated back to the UK after the travel giant folded. Britain’s biggest ever peacetime repatriation to bring back a reported 156,000 holidaymakers is now continuing into its second day.