Brexit

Times
Theresa May has faced down cabinet critics of her  Chequers plan and won backing from ministers to sell it to next week’s Conservative Party conference. The prime minister also secured cabinet agreement yesterday for a new immigration system after Brexit despite objections from Philip Hammond, the chancellor, on how the change should be managed. A threatened rebellion from Brexiteer ministers demanding that Mrs May seek a looser, Canada-style deal  with the EU failed to materialise after she told colleagues to hold their nerve in the face of opposition from Brussels.

Sky News
Theresa May has told cabinet ministers to hold their nerve after her Chequers plan was rejected by EU leaders – as top Brexiteers backed an alternative to the proposal. Senior Conservative Leave supporters have continued to pile pressure on her to ditch the plan in favour of a recommendation from the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA).
David Davis and Jacob Rees-Mogg attended the launch of the IEA’s report, which calls on the government to seek a “basic” free trade agreement for goods of the kind struck between the EU and Canada.

Mail
Boris Johnson ramped up pressure on Theresa May today as he hailed a report warning her Chequers plan would make a trade deal with the US impossible. The former foreign secretary joined Brexiteers including David Davis and Jacob Rees-Mogg in endorsing a rival blueprint for a ‘clean break’ from Brussels. The free market Institute of Economic Affairs think tank (IEA) urged ministers to seek a ‘basic’ free trade agreement for goods and pursue ‘regulatory freedom and trade independence’.

Sun
THERESA May’s Cabinet  have given her troubled Chequers plan a two-week stay of execution to make progress —   or face a final demand to dump it. The Tory top table ducked out of a confrontation with the PM over last week’s Salzburg summit debacle  during their weekly meeting  yesterday. Brexiteers claimed Mrs May would be ambushed with an ultimatum to switch to asking for a Canada-style free trade deal.

Express
THERESA May is under pressure to adopt a “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” Canada style trade deal with the European Union. Tory Brexiteer MPs united around a bold new “plan A plus” which will give Britain the best trade deal in the world with the EU. But tonight Downing Street issued a warning claiming that pushing forward with a Canada style trade deal will lead to the break-up of the UK with Northern Ireland left under Brussels rule.

Times
A Canada-style trade deal would enable Britain to dump “anti-competitive” European Union laws and embrace the “opportunities” of Brexit, senior Conservatives said yesterday. Setting out an alternative to Theresa May’s Chequers plan, leading Brexiteers backed a report that called for the EU to have no say over British laws on the environment, food standards and workers’ rights. They instead called for Britain to strike free-trade deals with countries such as the United States by opening up its markets to exports currently banned by the EU.

Independent
Most of Theresa May‘s cabinet ministers now support a Canada-style free trade agreement with the EU, according to reports. The Prime Minister will be urged to ditch her Chequers plan following its rejection in Salzburg and instead pursue a “clean Brexit“, it is claimed. Foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt is one of those cabinet members who is thought to be fighting to convince Ms May to change her approach to negotiations. Other supporters of a Canada-style free trade agreement are said to include Home Secretary  Sajid Javid, Liam Fox, Andrea LeadsomPenny Mordaunt and Esther McVey. 

Breitbart
Leading Brexiteers have backed a new Brexit plan launched Monday by a free-market think-tank, as reports suggest the majority of the cabinet now want a trade deal with the European Union over Theresa May’s “soft” Brexit plan. The new ‘Plan A+’ report from the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) was called “exciting” by the former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson and welcomed by former Brexit secretary David Davis and leading backbencher Jacob Rees-Mogg.

EU

Telegraph
Brussels has demanded that Britain pay billions of pounds in duties over an alleged customs fraud that further discredits Theresa May’s beleaguered Chequers plan for Brexit. The European Commission announced on Monday that the UK had two months to pay £2.4 billion, plus interest, in unpaid VAT on cheap Chinese clothes and shoes or face huge daily fines at the EU’s top court. The final warning before the UK is referred to the European Court of Justice was issued days after EU-27 leaders issued a humiliating rejection of the hard-won Chequers plan at an EU summit in Salzburg on Thursday. 

Breitbart
The European Union is taking further legal steps against Britain over its alleged failure to effectively prevent customs duties fraud, which is hurting the EU’s budget. Against the backdrop of stalled Brexit talks, the EU Commission said in a statement Monday that it took a second step in a procedure to force Britain to take action against the evasion of duties, which it estimates has cost the EU some 2.7 billion euros ($3.2 billion). If Britain fails to act over the next two months, the EU can take it to the EU’s highest court, the Court of Justice.

Westmonster
Italy’s anti-establishment Five Star Movement are set to wage war on the internal ‘deep state’ in the country they claim is holding up the government from implementing their policy agenda. Rocco Casalino, a senior figure in Five Star and the Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte’s Spokesman, hit out after difficulties in securing the finances to put in place the party’s universal income policy for the poorest Italians. In a message sent on WhatsApp, Casalino apparently said: “Either they find these f***ing €10 billion or we will dedicate 2019 to eliminating these pieces of sh*t from the Treasury Ministry.

Express
HUNGARY has sided with the UK against the EU, claiming the bloc must negotiate at all cost a fair Brexit deal – which needs to be beneficial “for both sides”. Speaking on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto backed Britain in the Brexit negotiations and insisted a no deal between the UK and the EU would be catastrophic. Mr Szijjarto said: “We are certain that we need a deal. “We have to avoid a situation without a deal by all efforts.

Labour Party

Telegraph
Business leaders have warned that a Jeremy Corbyn government would put the economy in the “deep freeze” and “crack the foundations” of prosperity, as Labour unveiled plans to seize control of swathes of industry. John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, was accused of treating business as “the enemy” as he pledged to end “vast executive salaries”, sack bosses of renationalised companies and snatch away profits from successful firms. He also hinted that Labour could re-endorse Clause IV, the socialist mission statement adopted in 1918, arguing that its “principles are as relevant today” as they were 100 years ago.

BBC News
Labour MPs are “likely” to be ordered to vote against any Brexit deal based on Theresa May’s Chequers plan, Sir Keir Starmer will say on Tuesday. The plans look set to fail the six tests the shadow Brexit secretary set for any deal with Brussels, he will say as he addresses the party conference. Labour members will then debate and vote on whether all options – including a referendum -should remain open. Labour’s policy is to force an election if MPs are deadlocked over Brexit.

Mail
Labour will vote against any Brexit deal Theresa May  brings back from Brussels, Sir Keir Starmer warned last night. The shadow Brexit secretary said Labour’s analysis of the Chequers deal showed it would fail all six of the party’s ‘Brexit tests’. And he said Labour would never back a so-called ‘blind Brexit’, in which the final terms of Britain’s future relationship with the EU are fudged until after it has left. With Mrs May ruling out alternative plans, Labour now looks set to oppose any deal this autumn – even though that could leave the UK facing a no-deal Brexit, which the party says it opposes.

Mirror
Labour will on Tuesday formally confirm the party is preparing to vote down Theresa May’s Brexit plan. Shadow Brexit Secretary Sir Keir Starmer will give the strongest signal yet that he will order MPs to reject the deal in Parliament. Such a vote could spell catastrophic defeat for the Prime Minister – as it would see Labour join forces with Tory Brexiteers in the Commons. Sir Keir today declared that if that happens, “on any rational view the government will then have to fall” – triggering a general election. And on Tuesday, he will tell Labour’s party conference in Liverpool: “Some have said Labour could vote for any deal the Tories reach.

Times
Labour signalled last night that it would attempt to vote down any Brexit deal Theresa May negotiated with the EU despite fears it could lead to a rebellion among its own MPs. In a speech to the party’s conference today the shadow Brexit secretary, Sir Keir Starmer, will say that it is “increasingly likely” that Labour will oppose whatever deal emerges from Brussels. Privately senior Labour figures believe that it will be impossible for Jeremy Corbyn to carry all of his party with him, with one MP predicting that up to 30 MPs could defy the whip and vote with the government.

ITV News
Labour members will vote on a Brexit motion stating the party should “support all options remaining on the table, including campaigning for a public vote” if it cannot force a general election. Delegates agreed the wording of the motion, which will be put to a vote at the party’s conference in Liverpool on Tuesday, after a marathon late-night meeting. Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has previously resisted calls to back a second Brexit referendum, but has accepted he would be “bound” by any decision made at the conference.

Independent
Labour’s Shadow International Trade Secretary Barry Gardiner has described Labour’s own plan of forcing a general election over Brexit as “Looney Tunes territory.” Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell and other senior figures in the party have used countless opportunities throughout the party’s annual conference to call on Theresa May to call a general election. But, speaking to a conference fringe event in Liverpool, Mr Gardiner said he wanted to “inject some realism” into the debate, and said the idea Theresa May was going to call a general election as “Looney Tunes territory.”

Immigration

Telegraph
EU migrants will not be given preferential treatment after Brexit and the number coming to the UK will fall significantly under Government plans. Sajid Javid, the Home Secretary, on Monday unveiled plans at Cabinet for a crackdown on the number of low-skilled migrants coming to the UK after Britain leaves the EU. The Cabinet reached a consensus on the plans despite objections from Philip Hammond, the Chancellor, and Greg Clarke, the Business Secretary.

Independent
Theresa May has signed off plans for a post-Brexit immigration
system that accepts the need for low-skilled workers to come into the UK after it leaves the EU. Under plans set out at cabinet by home secretary  Sajid Javid the new system would create a specific route for low-skilled workers to come into the country and work in sectors like agriculture, social care and hospitality. The presentation given by Mr Javid also appeared to confirm that he had won a reported tussle with chancellor Philip Hammond, over the home secretary’s intention not to give EU citizens preferential treatment in a future system.

Mail
Theresa May‘s cabinet yesterday agreed a post-Brexit  visa system based on the skills and wealth of migrants – but with no preferential access for EU nationals. Ministers backed a plan put forward by Sajid Javid, the home secretary, which is now expected to be among the key announcements at next week’s Conservative Party conference.  Skilled workers will be favoured over unskilled ones, as will those from countries that have struck a free trade deal with the UK.

Guardian
Theresa May’s cabinet has agreed a post-Brexit immigration system that will offer visas to immigrants in a tiered system based on skills and wealth, a flagship policy that is expected to be one of her key announcements to the Conservative party conference next week. Downing Street hopes the migration policy will appeal to party members concerned about May’s leadership and the Brexit  negotiations, which last week appeared to have reached an impasse at Salzburg when EU leaders declared her Chequers proposals would not work.

NHS

Times
Millions of people are at a higher risk of superbugs because they have been wrongly told that they are allergic to penicillin. More than nine in ten people who believe that they have such allergies actually do not and are 69 per cent more likely to get MRSA, according to the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice). Antibiotic-resistant infections are also being fuelled because notes about allergies are left in people’s medical records for decades as a result of minor childhood incidents, Nice says.

Times
NHS England could face a legal challenge that would attempt to force clinics to offer transgender patients the right to freeze their eggs or sperm before gender reassignment treatment. The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) argues that it is discriminatory that the NHS has no central policy requiring patients who undergo treatment for gender dysphoria to be offered the service, known as gamete extraction and storage, as a standard procedure. Instead such decisions are left to individual clinical commissioning groups, many of which do not offer fertility services to transgender people.

Child sex grooming

Sun
COPS probing a male grooming gang in Bolton have today urged victims to come forward after a teenage girl was raped for two years. Greater Manchester Police confirmed they received a report earlier this year which suggested a teenage girl had been groomed by a gang of men in Bolton. Several men started sexually assaulting the girl in March 2016 and six men, aged between 18 and 29 and a 17-year-old boy were arrested on suspicion of rape. All of the suspects were today released under investigation but cops are still interviewing witnesses and are urging other potential victims to get in touch.

Energy

Express
ENERGY company Total has announced a major gas discovery off Shetland, with initial tests at a site on the Glendronach prospect indicating there could be about one trillion cubic feet of gas ready for extraction. Total’s Arnaud Breuillac said the discovery could be commercialised by using the current Laggan-Tormore infrastructure. Total has a 60 per cent stake in the site. Energy company SSE and chemicals firm Ineos each have a 20 per cent interest. Mr Breuillac, Total’s president of exploration and production, said the gas was a “significant discovery”.

Recycling

Times
More than 50,000 homes will have their bins emptied only once every four weeks under a local authority plan to save money and increase recycling. Conwy county borough council in north Wales has become the first in England and Wales to cut collections of waste destined for landfill or incineration to once in four weeks. Many other councils are considering reducing the frequency of collections, with less than a quarter of English councils still collecting residual waste once a week.

Mail
A monthly bin collection is being rolled out in a Welsh county despite fears it will attract rats, seagulls and flies. Rubbish bags will now only be collected once a month in Conwy county, following a new trial. The decision has sparked outrage among residents who claim the move will attract pests. They said the rubbish builds up and causes a bad smell, breeds maggots and flies, and attracts mice, rats and seagulls. Some residents have even admitted to burning their waste to get rid the enormous build of rubbish bags.

Sun
A COUNCIL sparked rat and fly-tipping fears today by starting the first monthly bin collections in England and Wales. There has previously been anger and environmental concerns at Conwy County Borough Council’s four-weekly collection plan. Now after a trial, despite claims of increased vermin and people burning their waste, the North Wales council officially rolled out the scheme on Monday. From now on, waste destined for landfill will only be collected once a month, saving the authority £390,000 a year.

Star
MONTHLY bin collections have been rolled out for the first time. Despite claims that a trial encouraged more rats, seagulls and flies, a council has decided to make the scheme permanent. Conwy council, in Clwyd, reckons it can save £390,000 a year by the move, but residents in the county borough are furious. The year-long trial caused a stink from the outset. Many residents have admitted to burning their own waste in a bid to stop their bins from overflowing. One local said: “It’s the length of time that’s the problem, not the quantity.

Food waste

Mail
British supermarkets, food manufacturers, restaurant chains, pubs and hotels are pledging to halve food waste. Each year Britons throw out some 10.2 million tonnes of good food, with an estimated 60 per cent of the waste avoidable. This equates to some £20billion – £300 per person – of perfectly edible fruit, vegetables, bread, salads, ready-made sandwiches and other items. Now the food giants have agreed to take steps such as scrapping ‘best before’ labels on fresh food, giving more to food banks and charities plus selling more ‘wonky’ produce at discount prices or diverting it to ready meals and soup.

Times
Food companies will be permitted to keep the amount of food they waste secret under a government-backed plan to cut the amount thrown away by two million tonnes a year by 2030. The plan acknowledges that greater transparency would drive action to cut waste but leaves it up to companies to decide whether to publish their figures. It ignores the Commons environment select committee, which last year said the government should “require food businesses over a particular size to publicly report data on food waste”.

Whisky

Times
From Bannockburn to Culloden, Hampden to Murrayfield, rivalry between England and Scotland has been played out on many a battlefield. Now the English have opened an audacious new front: almost two dozen English distilleries have started making whisky. For more than a century nowhere south of the border distilled the spirit, but that changed in 2003 when a small Cornish brewery teamed up with a cider farm to start their own brand. Since then 20 English whisky distilleries have opened, with more expected to follow buoyed by the “craft gin” revolution.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email