Supreme Court

BBC News
The government has urged the Supreme Court to make a decision the “ordinary man and woman” would understand in the landmark legal challenge over Brexit. Government lawyer James Eadie QC said ministers could trigger Brexit and that there was no basis for Parliament to get the final say. He faced a grilling from the 11 Supreme Court justices as he set out his case. The government is appealing after last month’s High Court ruling that MPs must be consulted before triggering Brexit.

Express
UKIP LEADER Paul Nuttall has issued a direct threat to any MP who attempts to defy the will of the people and vote against Brexit. On Monday the Supreme Court will begin hearing arguments following the High Court ruling which ruled Parliament must vote before the Government activates Article 50. Mr Nuttall, who recently succeeded Nigel Farage as Ukip leader, has warned Ukip will fight to remove any MP who “plays around with the will of the British people”. Speaking to Susanne Reid and Piers Morgan on ITV’s Good Morning Britain, the 39-year-old condemned those attempting to delay Brexit. “What it [the court case] is is a group of people who don’t want to accept the result, they want to play around with it,” Mr Nuttall said.

The pound

Express
THE pound has hit a four-month high against the euro, as Italy’s referendum sparks panic over the future of the eurozone. Sterling rose above 1.2 against the single currency, before falling back slightly to 1.19, amid Italy’s Prime Minister Matteo Renzi’s resignation after a referendum over constitutional change went against him. The pound is now at its highest level against the euro since August, providing a welcome boost for families heading to the continent for a winter break. At the same time, Britain’s top stock index the FTSE 100 surged by almost one per cent. Markets in Germany and France were also up, as the loss of Austria’s Far Right and anti-EU candidate Norbert Hofer helped provided some calm.

EU

Express
EUROPE’S financial kingpin wants Brussels to have a say in every member state’s economic plans and pump their profits into the crumbling Eurozone. EU nations are being urged to merge their economic plans so the continent as a whole will benefit and produce a positive fiscal outlook despite rampant uncertainty and division across Europe. The devastating sovereign debt crisis made it clear more needs to be done by EU nations as a group to preserve stability. Finance ministers from across Europe are meeting in Brussels today to try and synchronise elements of their economy which they will then adopt as part of their financial plans and attempt to force through their own national parliaments.

Express
JEAN-CLAUDE Juncker today used the result of the Italian referendum to predict that the rise of anti-EU parties will spark World War Three. The Brussels chief said that the disintegration of the euro project would herald a return to the “tragic history” of a Europe at war. In a series of sensationalist remarks he said the continent was living through “dangerous times” due to a rise in opposition to the EU. His remarks mirror those of ex-prime minister David Cameron, who was widely mocked for predicting that Brexit would cause a global conflict. Mr Juncker is currently behind a concerted push by Brussels to acquire its own army which is being vigorously opposed by Britain.

Independent
Britain’s vote to leave the European Union has started the bloc’s “disintegration”, Italy’s minister for European affairs has said. Sandro Gozi, an ally of outgoing Italian prime minister Matteo Renzi, said his country was facing a “period of uncertainty” following the vote this weekend to reject a planned constitutional reform. The centre-left Democratic Party minister argued that the referendum defeat represented a missed opportunity to reform European institutions and save the EU from falling apart. “I think that the beginning of European disintegration has started with Brexit,” Mr Gozi told BBC Radio 4’s
Today programme. “It is up to the other 27 governments to re-launch Europe. That was our policy, that was our goal as the Renzi government. It is clear that now Europe loses a major political actor to its relaunch.”

Breitbart
The unelected executive arm of the European Union (EU) is threatening to escalate from “non-legislative” action if Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube do not censor what it considers “illegal” online speech within 24 hours. In May of this year, the U.S. tech giants signed a “code of conduct”, promising to work with the Commission and national law enforcement to “criminalize” and “sanction” “individual perpetrators” as well as committing to “promoting independent counter-narratives” that the EU favours. Speaking on Sunday, the EU’s justice commissioner added “fake news” to the list of what they want censored online. The “series of commitments to combat the spread of illegal hate speech online in Europe” developed “together with… the IT companies” included a promise to “review the majority” of flagged “hate speech” within 24 hours.

Express
TRILLIONS of Euros are going to continue to be pumped into the Eurozone in a last ditch attempt to ensure economic prosperity triumphs over political uncertainty. The European Central Bank is expected to maintain its policy of quantitative easing to try and paper over the cracks of Brexit and a tumultuous political climate in Italy – despite the fact its current approach has done little to bring stability to the continent. Quantitative easing, the process of injecting money into the economy to create a tranquil financial environment, will take place across Europe beyond the Central Bank’s original end date of 2017. The bank is expected to keep the size of its monthly bond purchases unchanged, maintaining it at a price of around €80 billion a month, according to a survey of 68 top economists. But 14 of the finance experts predict the ECB may cut its monthly cash injection by around €15 billion per month. The Central Bank has already bought €1.4 trillion worth of Euro-denominated bonds and has driven down borrowing costs to an all time low.

Brexit

Express
THE UK will scoop at least an extra £20 billion a year in tax revenues and investment when it quits the European single market a new report has revealed. The analysis by the Global Britain thinktank has sunk claims made by Remoaners that Britain needs to stay in the single market in what they have dubbed a “soft Brexit”. The boost to the UK’s finances would be on top of the net £10 billion a year contribution the UK will get back by leaving the EU as well as the new revenues generated by being free to negotiate new trade deals. It also reveals that leaving the single market will bring a renaissance in high paid jobs in Britain and force companies to start paying to train people in Britain.

ITV News
Theresa May has refused to rule out paying money to the EU after we leave, so that UK firms can still trade with the single market. The Prime Minister was asked if she would consider continuing making financial contributions even after Brexit. It’s an issue which has split senior members of the cabinet. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson believes millions of people were motivated to vote Leave in June in order to end payments to Brussels. But last week, the Secretary for Exiting the EU, David Davis, told MPs the UK might have to pay money to the EU so firms can still enjoy tariff free access to the single market. Speaking on the plane on her way to Bahrain where she will meet a number of heads of state from the Gulf region, Theresa May said she was focussed on what she called the UK’s ‘new relationship with the EU.’

Express
THERESA May tonight refused to rule out Britain continuing to pay into Brussels coffers after Brexit. The Prime Minister confirmed suggestions from senior Cabinet ministers Boris Johnson and David Davis that some contributions to the EU may carry on in order to get favourable access to the Single Market. 
Her remarks are likely to be seized on by Brexit campaigners who fear the Government could dilute the EU departure pledge. Speaking on a flight to an official visit to Bahrain, the Prime Minister said: “When the people voted on June 23, they voted for us to take control of our borders, they voted for us to take control of our laws and take control of our money and how we spend our money.

Farage

BBC News
Nigel Farage has been shortlisted for the title of Time magazine’s person of the year, along with Russian President Vladimir Putin and singer Beyonce. The former UKIP leader is one of 11 contenders named by the US publication, which cites his role in helping bring about Brexit. Others on its list include US President-elect Donald Trump and his defeated opponent Hillary Clinton. Time announces the winner of the accolade next Wednesday. Revealing the shortlist, which is chosen by Time editors, the magazine said: “As head of the UK Independence Party, Farage was a face of the successful campaign for Britain to leave the European Union, positioning the referendum as the start of a global populist wave against the political establishment.”

Sky News
Nigel Farage is on the shortlist for Time magazine’s prestigious person of the year award. The former UKIP leader features alongside the likes of US President-elect Donald Trump, Russian President Vladimir Putin, scientists who have developed technology to edit DNA and Beyonce among the finalists. The American news magazine appeared to give Mr Farage much of the credit for Brexit. Announcing the 11-strong shortlist, which was chosen by the magazine’s editors, the publication said: “As head of the UK Independence Party, Farage was a face of the successful campaign for Britain to leave the European Union, positioning the referendum as the start of a global populist wave against the political establishment.” The winner will be announced on Wednesday.

International trade

Breitbart
Britain is beginning work on becoming an independent member of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) after Brexit, using the EU’s current terms as the template, International Trade Secretary Liam Fox said Monday. Britain is currently represented in the 164-member body through its membership of the European Union, but when it leaves the bloc it will need to establish its own terms, or schedules. “In order to minimise disruption to global trade as we leave the EU, over the coming period the government will prepare the necessary draft schedules which replicate as far as possible our current obligations,” Fox said in a written statement to parliament. “The government will undertake this process in dialogue with the WTO membership. “This work is a necessary part of our leaving the EU. It does not prejudge the outcome of the eventual UK-EU trading arrangements.”

Times
Britain will use EU tariff levels as a starting point in its trade negotiations with the rest of the world, the government said. The move risks angering Brexit-backers pushing for a clean break with the status quo. Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, told parliament yesterday that his department had begun preparing the draft schedule of tariffs that it will submit to the World Trade Organisation. This will set out the maximum duties the UK will charge on imports. Britain would be free to apply tariffs below the maximum it submitted for the approval of the WTO’s 163 members.

Express
THERESA MAY is pushing a £30 billion trade deal agenda as she visits the Gulf. Attending the Gulf Co-operation Council summit in Bahrain, the Prime Minister is moving to free up business transactions between the UK and Middle East. Mrs May is only the third Western leader, and first woman, to be invited to the gathering. Speaking ahead of the visit, the Prime Minister said: “The Gulf is already our largest investor and our second biggest non-European export market and I think there is huge potential to expand this relationship in the years ahead.

Guardian
Britain is seeking an “ambitious” new Brexit trade deal to benefit both the UK and European countries, rather than mimicking terms of its current arrangement, Theresa May has said. Speaking to reporters onboard RAF Voyager en route to Bahrain, the prime minister insisted she wants to see “a strong European Union” even after the UK’s departure, in the wake of the Italian referendum which saw the resignation of the country’s prime minister Matteo Renzi. “I’ve always said I want us to have a strong relationship with the EU, with the 27 members,” she said. “I think it’s in UK interests to have a strong EU and have a relationship with a strong EU.”

NHS

Times
NHS inspectors are ignoring thousands of warnings a year from staff raising safety fears, an alliance of whistleblowers has claimed. Those who speak out are “fired, gagged and blacklisted” while regulators do little to help, according to the group of doctors, inspectors and patients who exposed some of the biggest health scandals of the past two decades. Tens of thousands of NHS staff have contacted the Care Quality Commission (CQC) about unsafe care yet inspectors acted slowly or not at all, leaving patients at risk, the group claims in a letter to The Times. They are calling for a US-style body to investigate on behalf of whistleblowers rather than leaving them to face the system alone.

Times
Potentially fatal security flaws in ten models of pacemaker widely used in the UK have been found by researchers. A team from the universities of Birmingham and Leuven, Belgium, used techniques easily within the abilities of basic hackers to take control of the implants, which use electrical impulses to regulate the beating of the patient’s heart. They said that hackers could disable them directly, force them to send data in order to run the battery down, or apply electric shocks. The devices involved are market-leading and used by the NHS. The researchers will not name the manufacturer for ethical reasons but said that the company had been notified and had taken measures to address the flaws.

Rail

ITV News

Network Rail could lose complete control of England’s railway tracks under plans to be set out by the Government. Transport Secretary Chris Grayling believes Network Rail, which is publicly owned, should share the responsibility with private train operating companies. Network Rail welcomed the plans, saying they would strengthen its existing alliances with operators. Mr Grayling will use a speech on Tuesday to explain that the relationship between the tracks and the trains needs to change because the lack of a coordinated approach can “make things much worse” when disruption occurs. He will say: “In my experience, passengers don’t understand the division between the two. They just want someone to be in charge. They want their train to work. I agree with them. “I intend to start bringing back together the operation of track and train on our railways…I believe it will mean they run better on a day-to-day basis…our railway is much better-run by one joined-up team of people.

Sky News
Network Rail is to be stripped of its complete control of England’s railway tracks under Government plans. Transport Secretary Chris Grayling wants the publicly owned company to share its responsibility for running the tracks with private train operators. Mr Grayling thinks the major change will lead to more reliable services and help “transform the passenger experience”. Network Rail said it welcomed the changes as they will strengthen its existing alliances with operators. In a speech at the Policy Exchange think-tank in London, Mr Grayling will say the relationship between the tracks and the trains needs to change, because the lack of a coordinated approach can “make things much worse” when disruption happens.

Steel

ITV News
A plan to secure the future of Port Talbot steelworks in south Wales will be unveiled to staff on Wednesday, ITV News understands. A union meeting is scheduled at which the deal agreed between union bosses and
Tata Steel will be put to workers. With a guarantee to keep both blast furnaces operational, it will be sold as a means to save thousands of jobs at the site that was previously earmarked by the Indian company for closure. In March, the company said it be would putting its entire UK business – including the Port Talbot plant – up for sale, threatening thousands of jobs. But in July, the sale of the loss-making Port Talbot site was unexpectedly halted following talks with potential bidders. ITV News Wales Correspondent Rupert Evelyn said the outcome is “extraordinary”.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email