UKIP’S FORMER deputy leader Paul Nuttall is understood to be preparing to declare his candidacy to replace Nigel Farage as leader. A close ally of Mr Nuttall, fellow MEP Jonathan Arnott, has dropped a hint that the North West MEP is planning running in the leadership contest in the wake of former favourite Stephen Woolfe pulling out and resigning the party. Mr Woolfe quit after allegations of a fight with fellow MEP Mike Hookem in the European Parliament in Strasbourg and following anger over the way he was controversially barred from running in the first contest. Mr Nuttall decided not to run when Mr Farage first stepped down after the EU referendum but has come under pressure to lead the party after the winner of the first contest Diane James quit after just 18 days. Asked whether Mr Nuttall had indicated to him whether he will stand for the leadership, North East MEP Jonathan Arnott told The Daily Express: “I think it’s pretty clear that 24 hours is now a long time in politics.” If he decides to run, the former deputy leader will be up against last year’s London Mayoral candidate Peter Whittle who last night was guest of honour at the party’s Dagenham branch launch in a key target seat.
Ukip’s deputy leader, Paul Nuttall, is emerging as the figure mostly likely to be able to fill the void created by leadership frontrunner Steven Woolfe’s sudden departure, senior figures within the party have told the Guardian. Nominations to take over from Diane James, who stepped down earlier this month after 18 days as leader, opened on Tuesday, with hopefuls having until 31 October to gather the required nominations before a members’ vote. Woolfe, a barrister-turned-MEP who missed out on the last leadership election after filing his nomination papers 17 minutes late, had been the favourite to replace James, but quit Ukip on Monday , saying the party was ungovernable and was in “a death spiral”.
UKIP leadership candidate Raheem Kassam has pledged to boost UKIP’s People’s Army if he’s elected to the post, promising to grow the party’s membership to 100,000. Appearing on Newsnight Monday evening, the Breitbart London editor-in-chief also revealed that as leader, he would appoint Nigel Farage as honorary president of the UK Independence Party (UKIP). Speaking with Evan Davis, Kassam explained that “there’s a lot of appetite within the party” for its popular former leader who led the country to Brexit, adding, “so I think it needs to retain him in some way, shape or form. UKIP is Nigel, Nigel is UKIP”.
THERESA MAY is facing calls to ensure the power of European judges to rule over Britain is ended immediately on the same day the country quits the EU, it can be revealed. The Prime Minister has vowed to return lawmaking powers from Brussels to Westminster and to cease the right of EU judges in Luxembourg to interpret British legislation on the UK’s exit from the bloc. But Express.co.uk has learned of a legal loophole which, if it isn’t closed, could allow judges sitting in the European Court of Justice (ECJ) to rule on UK laws for years after Brexit. There are fears judges in the Luxembourg-based Court could be entitled to argue they hold the power to continue meddling with British legislation even after the UK’s departure, if they are presented with cases referring to events that occurred prior to Brexit.
London’s High Court said on Tuesday it would rule “as quickly as possible” on whether British lawmakers, and not the government alone, must trigger the formal process of leaving the European Union, in a case closely watched by politicians and markets. Campaigners have taken legal action to argue Prime Minister Theresa May and her ministers do not have the authority to invoke Article 50 of the EU Lisbon Treaty, the mechanism by which a nation can leave the bloc, without the explicit backing of parliament. During three days of legal wrangling involving some of the country’s top lawyers, the High Court has heard from the government that a decision to trigger Article 50 could not be reversed and that it was “very likely” the final exit deal agreed with the EU would have to be ratified by parliament
Downing Street has said it is “very likely” MPs will be able to vote on the final Brexit agreement reached between the UK and the European Union. Number 10 confirmed the comment by a government lawyer in the High Court represented the “government’s view”. The vote would take place after negotiations have taken place and with Brexit already triggered using Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. Campaigners have been calling for a vote before Article 50 is triggered. Open Britain, formerly the Remain campaign, said the government’s comments were an “encouraging sign” but renewed calls for a debate and vote earlier in the process, before Article 50 begins two years of formal negotiations. The UK is expected to leave the European Union in 2019.
Theresa May has U-turned by agreeing MPs could vote on the final Brexit deal. The Government said it was “highly likely” Parliament would approve any agreement. The move leaves the open the possibility that the Commons could defy the referendum result and block a “hard Brexit ” – one that left the UK outside the single market and paying higher export tariffs. The shift in position was revealed by the Government’s lawyer in the high court hearing on whether MPs should have a say on the triggering of Article 50 . This is the legal mechanism that starts the two-year process of Britain leaving the EU. Mrs May has said she will invoke Article 50 before the end of March next year and argues that MPs should not have a say on the timing.
The High Court has heard the final arguments in a historic case challenging Theresa May’s right to trigger Article 50 to start the move to leave the EU. A number of campaigners have mounted legal challenges against the Prime Minister’s strategy for Brexit in what has been described as one of the most important constitutional cases in generations. The applicants are asking top judges in London to rule that she is in danger of undermining the sovereignty of Parliament. The judges said they would be taking time to consider the submissions and said a decision would be made “as quickly as possible”.
Parliament has the right to reject the final Brexit deal, No.10 has indicated for the first time – raising the possibility that Britain’s EU exit could yet be halted. Downing Street agreed it is “very likely” that MPs and peers will be given a vote once the withdrawal negotiations are finished, after the issue arose in the High Court. The statement – after the Prime Minister repeatedly refused to give ground on demands for Parliament to have a say on Brexit – immediately triggered furious debate about the possible consequences.
Polygamy is “commonplace” within Muslim communities in Britain, with husbands fathering as many as 20 children by four wives, a Peer has said. She has called for a change in the law so that Muslim women know their rights under British law not to be discriminated against. Although it has long been recognised that polygamy occurs in Muslim communities, it is typically seen as very rare. But in a statement delivered to a conference on Islam in the UK on Sunday, Baroness Cox, a cross-bench member of the house of Lords, told the audience that polygamy in some communities is “commonplace” and that, as the marriages are Islamic ceremonies which have no legal status in British law, women who find themselves in polygamous marriages are being left without any rights. Furthermore, the situation is being enabled by the acceptance of sharia councils in the UK, which Baroness Cox called a “parallel legal system”.
Britain will make a long-awaited decision next week on where to allow airport expansion near London, Prime Minister Theresa May’s spokeswoman said on Tuesday, with ministers who oppose it given the rare opportunity to publicly voice their dissent. The decision will be subject to public consultation before it is put to parliament for its backing late 2017 or early 2018. The government will either support plans for a new runway west of London at Heathrow, the busiest airport in both Britain and Europe, or at Gatwick to the south. The decision has been debated for more than 25 years. May’s cabinet discussed the options for more than an hour on Tuesday, her spokeswoman said, but the decision will be made by a smaller group of ministers. “It was not for cabinet to take a decision today. That will be taken by the cabinet sub-committee on airports, which is due to meet next week and will select a preferred option,” the spokeswoman told reporters.
Theresa May will let Cabinet ministers openly disagree with Heathrow expansion when the Government makes its decision next week. The move means Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, who has long opposed a third runway at the airport, will be able to speak publicly against the plans if the Government decides to give expansion the nod, as is expected. London’s former mayor, who is MP for Uxbridge, once said he was prepared to lie down “in front of the bulldozers” if the plans were approved.
A final decision on expanding Heathrow or Gatwick will only be put to MPs in a YEAR – after yet another public consultation, it emerged today. A Cabinet sub-committee will finally decide next week which airport should get a new runway in an issue that has dogged Westminster for years. But the final decision will only be put to the House of Commons to form a National Policy Statement – part of the planning process – in “winter 2017/18”. And that will only come after a “full and fair public consultation” on the government’s preferred scheme. Theresa May made the confession today in a letter to ministers confirming they can oppose the government without getting sacked.
MPs called for dental tests of child migrants last night as fresh doubts grew over their ages. Fourteen more arrived yesterday — but the oldest had crow’s feet and looked closer to 40. Tory MP David Davies demanded checks on their teeth, which immigration lawyers said was the “strongest proof of age”. Amar Ali, of London law firm Reiss Edwards, said a simple X-ray procedure should be undertaken “if somebody clearly looks older than they claim”. Officials said the latest arrivals from the Calais Jungle camp, all said to be aged 13 to 17, had probably been “toughened up” by war . The oldest-looking was yesterday fast-tracked after continually insisting in interviews that he was a minor. But Tory MP Alec Shelbrooke said he was expecting to see “children who look like children”, adding: “It makes a mockery of the situation.”
Concerns over the age of child refugees from Calais intensified yesterday, as a second group arrived in London. One migrant in particular, wearing a blue hoodie with stubble on his chin, was rated by a facial recognition program as having the features of a 38-year-old. He was one of 14 to be bussed to Croydon from the notorious Jungle camp shanty town before it is demolished by the French authorities. They followed 14 who arrived on Monday, as Britain works to reunite unaccompanied youngsters from war-torn countries with family members in the UK. But it has emerged the Home Office has no way of verifying the migrants’ ages before they come to Britain, stoking concerns about adults posing as children to take advantage of the scheme.
Nearly two-thirds of “child” refugees who officials questioned about their real age were found to be adults, Home Office documents show. Figures show that in the year to September 2015, 65 per cent of the child refugees who had their age disputed were found to be over 18. It comes after Conservative MPs raised questions about the ages of 14 refugees who were brought to the UK this week from the “Jungle” migrant camp in Calais. The Home Office has no way of independently verifying the age of child refugees being brought to the UK. Home Office documents show that if a refugee does not have a birth certificate, a Home Office screening officer can certify them as a child based on their “physical appearance” or “demeanour”.
A Tory MP who called for child migrants arriving in the UK from Calais to have their teeth tested to verify their ages has been condemned by dentists. A number of unaccompanied children from the “Jungle” camp have arrived to join relatives in the UK – amid suggestions they could be adults trying to get in. David Davies, MP for Monmouth, said mandatory teeth checks would reassure people the UK was not being exploited. But the British Dental Association said such checks would be unethical. The BDA, which represents dentists and dental students in the UK, also disputed claims that dental radiographs can accurately determine whether someone is under the age of 18 or not. British and French officials have begun registering unaccompanied children in Calais, with the first children with links to the UK having arrived this week.
British Prime Minister Theresa May has tasked a team of ministers with cutting immigration, including through a “targeted visa system”, according to a government document published on Tuesday. The immigration taskforce, chaired by May and featuring 12 other ministers including the three leading Brexit campaigners Boris Johnson, David Davis and Liam Fox, has been asked to deliver annual net migration in the tens of thousands. That was a target set by May’s predecessor David Cameron, but which the government has failed to meet. Net migration is currently running at more than three times that level. Setting out the terms of reference for the taskforce, the government said the target would be delivered by “implementing domestic measures to control migration; ensuring an efficient and targeted visa system and making it harder for illegal immigrants to stay in the country”.
Aid workers in Calais have warned the most vulnerable children face being stranded in the Jungle camp because adults are lying about their age to gain entry to Britain. Volunteers working in the migrant camp said the process for registering those with family members was ‘chaotic’ and warned vulnerable children are being left behind. Critics have claimed that migrants arriving into Britain over the last two days appear to look older than the 14 to 17 years the Government claims they are. The Home Office has come under fire for not carrying out routine tests such as dental checks to determine their age because they are deemed ‘too intrusive’.
CONFIDENTIAL UK government reports into UFOs have been delayed in their release because the files needed extra censoring. The reports, dubbed the “British X-Files”, were due to be released but have been recalled from the National Archives by the Ministry of Defence. A National Archives spokesman said the files contained “information which is covered by FOI exemption”. This has fuelled conspiracy theories that the top-secret documents hold sensitive information on the UK’s dealings with alien life. Alien hunters believe the reports, which have been held by the MoD for more than 30 years, could contain information on the infamous Rendlesham UFO case and other mysterious sightings. The British X-Files were due to be released in March, but have met with repeated delays. A spokesman for the Information Department of the National Archives in London spoke to German paranormal and science newsblog Grenzwissenschaft-Aktuell. They wrote in an email: “Unfortunately, following the transfer of files to The National Archives (TNA) in June, additional information which is covered by FOI exemption was identified, resulting in the files being returned to MoD in August.