Terror alert

Telegraph
Up to 5,000 soldiers will be deployed on the streets amid fears that the 
Manchester suicide bomber had accomplices preparing further attacks, Theresa May has announced. For the first time in 10 years, the Prime Minister said the terror threat had been raised to the highest possible level, from 
severe to critical, meaning an attack 
is “expected imminently”. Investigators fear that the British-born bomber Salman Abedi, a 22-year-old of Libyan descent, was part of a wider network of Isil-inspired terrorists, including a bomb-maker, who may still be at large. Special Forces were deployed to Manchester ready to engage in the hunt for accomplices of Abedi, who killed 22 concert-goers in Britain’s worst terrorist atrocity for 12 years.

Mail
Troops are to be deployed onto Britain’s streets amid fears a further terror attack ‘may be imminent’, the Prime Minister has announced. Theresa May revealed the move this evening, less than 24 hours after the bomb attack at a teen concert in Manchester, which left 22 dead and 59 injured. The Prime Minister confirmed the identity of the Manchester suicide bomber as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, a Mancunian of Libyan descent. But intelligence agencies fear he may not have acted alone – leaving open the possibility of an active Islamist terror cell on the loose. Britain’s Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre last night raised the terror threat level to ‘critical’, its highest level.  The threat level has only been raised to ‘critical’ twice since the system was introduced on August 1, 2006. 

Breitbart
British Prime Minister Theresa May said during the investigation into Monday’s Manchester terror attack the government has concluded another attack “may be imminent.” She added that was cause for the terrorism threat level to be raised to critical. May said, “I said that the joint terrorism analysis center, the independent organization responsible for setting the threat level on the basis of the intelligence available was keeping the threat level under constant review.” “It’s now concluded on the basis of today’s investigation that the threat level should be increased for the time being from severe to critical,” she continued. “This means that their assessment is not only that an attack remains highly likely but that a further attack may be imminent.”

Mail
Fears are growing of a follow-up terrorist attack in Britain after intelligence agencies raised concerns over an Islamist terror cell potentially being on the loose. Theresa May announced soldiers would be mobilised on UK streets in response to the atrocity last night, 24 hours after a suicide bomber killed 22 concert-goers, including a girl of eight. The Prime Minister confirmed the identity of the Manchester attacker as British-born Salman Abedi, 22.  The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre last night raised the attack threat to its highest level, critical – where an atrocity is ‘highly likely and may be imminent’. 

BBC News
The UK terror threat level has been raised to its highest level of “critical”, meaning further attacks may be imminent, Theresa May has said. Military personnel will now be deployed to protect key sites as a result of the new threat level. Meanwhile, the mother of Olivia Campbell said her daughter died in Monday night’s Manchester bombing, which killed 22 and injured 59. Writing on Facebook, she paid tribute to her “precious” daughter, aged 15. Olivia’s mother, Charlotte Campbell, had issued an emotional plea for information on her daughter’s whereabouts after the Ariana Grande concert. And according to Reuters, the Polish foreign minister has said that two Polish people who went missing after the attack are among those killed.

Star
SOLDIERS will patrol Britain’s streets – including famous landmarks – after Theresa May upped the terror threat to critical for the first time in years. The PM announced the chilling measure last night as she warned further terror attacks may be “imminent”. The military will be providing armed guards for key locations around London, including Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, the Palace of Westminster and embassies. Scotland Yard confirmed the drastic measures in the wake of the attack by suicide bomber Salam Abedi killing 22 at an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena. Mrs May said the “terrorists will not win” as she brought into force the military plan, Operation Temperer.

Breitbart
ISIS supporters celebrated the terrorist attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, on Monday night, issuing warnings that the attack was “only the beginning.” “Are you forget our threat? This is the just terror,” posted  one account on Twitter following the deadly attack that took 22 lives and left 119 wounded. “In the name of Allah the merciful.” “Kill Him everywhere,” posted another, with the Manchester hashtag and an ISIS picture, while an account under the name of Abdul Haqq tweeted: “It seems that bombs of the British Air Force over children of Mosul and Raqqa has just came back to #Manchester.”

Calais

Mail
British truckers have called for increased protection in Calais following the first serious attacks by migrants since the demolition of the ‘Jungle’ refugee camp. It is just over six months since the vast shantytown was torn to the ground, and some 8,000 UK-bound asylum seekers dispersed across France. Officially, they are all now banned from the Calais area, but a series of ‘extremely violent’ incidents on Sunday shows they are slowly returning. ‘They set up roadblocks using dustbins, and then tried to stop lorries heading for England so they could get aboard,’ said a local police source. ‘Two windscreens were smashed, while another lorry had its tyres punctured. One driver was taken to hospital with face injuries.’

Star
HUNDREDS of migrants threw rocks at trucks in a bid to get over the Channel into England. Up to 700 of them targeted lorries heading into the port of Calais in an attempt to force them to stop and let them on. They also used rubbish bins to block the entrance. One Czech driver was taken to hospital with minor injuries and police were called to disperse the crowds. The Freight Transport Association (FTA) is now urging the government to lobby French authorities to protect drivers in the area. The FTA’s Pauline Bastidon said: “The French and British governments need to work together to solve the migrant issue at Calais, both for the safety of our drivers and also for migrants who have returned to the area.

Immigration

Mail
More than six million asylum seekers are waiting to cross into Europe, a leaked intelligence report warns. There has been a huge increase in the number of migrants hoping to reach EU countries, it says – contradicting claims from Brussels that the situation is under control. The confidential report, leaked to German newspaper Bild, claims 6.6million migrants are waiting in countries around the Mediterranean sea to cross into Europe, including 2.5million in war-torn North Africa. This year has already seen record numbers of African migrants making the perilous journey across the Mediterranean, with Italy the frontline of the crisis.

Social care

Mail
The NHS is set to be overwhelmed by a surge in elderly disabled people over the next decade, experts warned last night. The number of over-65s in England and Wales requiring care will grow by 25 per cent by 2025, according to a study published in the Lancet Public Health journal. That will take the cared-for population in this age group to 2.8million, up 560,000 since 2015. Experts at the University of Liverpool, who made the predictions, said people need to start taking more responsibility for their health earlier in life to reduce this burden. 
They called for urgent disease prevention policies aimed at improving diet, reducing drinking, helping smokers to quit, and targeting high blood pressure and physical inactivity – and warned that without a major change the NHS is to come under severe pressure.

Guardian
The NHS and social care system in the UK is facing a staggering increase in the cost of looking after elderly people within the next few years, according to major new research which shows a 25% increase in those who will need care between 2015 and 2025. Within eight years, there will be 2.8 million people over 65 needing nursing and social care, unable to cope alone, says the research – largely because of the toll of dementia in a growing elderly population. The research, published by the respected Lancet Public Health medical journal, says cases of disability related to dementia will rise by 40% among people aged 65 to 84, with other forms of disability increasing by about 31%.

Express
THERESA May has done an astonishing U-turn on social care after the Conservative Party’s lead over Labour in the polls has slashed since the Tory manifesto launch. Here are live updates, the most recent polls and breaking news from the campaign trail. The latest polls show Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party is narrowing gap with the Conservatives after a backlash over Theresa May’s so-called ‘dementia tax’. The Prime Minister yesterday announced a U-turn on social care by proposing an ‘absolute limit’ on the amount that the elderly will be forced to pay to cover care costs.  Under the Tory manifesto, pensioners must pay for their own care – at home or in a care home – if they have combined savings and property valued at more than £100,000.

EU

Express
DONALD Trump’s reported pick for EU ambassador has warned France and Germany against plans to pursue a “United States of Europe” with a centralised budget, saying the US will fiercely oppose such a move. In a fiery speech Dr Ted Malloch insisted the creation of a Brussels superstate runs counter to American interests and will lead to a further deterioration in ties with Washington.  The Republican academic blasted the rest of Europe as “ungrateful” for the massive US support in rebuilding the continent after the war and said it was riven with “anti-Americanism”.  But in contrast he heaped praise on Britain, which is leaving the club, saying it shared the strongest ties with America and would be front of the queue for a trade deal.

Independent
EU member states have agreed a plan for Brexit talks, which its chief negotiator says will commence “very quickly after the election”. Michel Barnier said he would sit down for talks on 19 June, before briefing EU leaders later that week at a summit exactly a year after the June 23 Brexit vote. “From the day the UK decided to leave, the EU had gone through an intense preparatory process,” Mr Barnier told journalists. “We are ready and well-prepared.” He insisted Britain’s exit from the bloc would happen in an orderly fashion. Britain’s Brexit Secretary David Davis said at the weekend that Prime Minister Theresa May’s government was ready to walk out without a deal. But Mr Barnier told reporters: “That’s not my option.”

Express
BRITAIN retains enormous influence in Europe with other member states highly likely to agree with us on swathes of EU policy making, a shock survey of top officials reveals today. London is on the same wavelength as most other European capitals on the future direction of the bloc and is one of their first ports of call when consulting over major decision making, according to the surprise poll.  It shows that the UK’s influence on the continent has not been significantly diminished by Brexit and indicates it will continue to be a key player even after it has left the club.  The survey, compiled by the European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR), also suggests that Britain is not as isolated within the EU as is usually perceived. London has been habitually characterised as a black sheep of the European family, prone to kicking up trouble and blocking other member states who want to progress towards ever-closer union. 

Express
BRUSSELS has become blighted by infighting between its three biggest member states as an increasingly bitter battle to secure a slice of Britain’s lucrative financial services sector heats up. Germany, France and Italy have got the knives out in a vicious scrap to secure control over the multi-trillion pound euro clearing industry after the UK leaves the EU.  Currently the City of London acts as the main clearing base for transactions carried out using the single currency, an industry estimated to be worth £736 billion a day. But EU chiefs have said that base must now move to a member state to ensure the stability of the euro and eurocrats want their central bank, the ECB, to take ultimate control over the massive operation. However the three biggest remaining member states of Germany, France and Italy are all fighting back and want to retain member state oversight, whilst simultaneously trying to secure the lucrative business for themselves.

New Labour Party

Mail
Some of Labour’s biggest donors have threatened to bankroll a new centre-left rival party. Sir David Garrard, the multi-millionaire property tycoon, said he would back a new party if Labour moderates decided to break away after the General Election. His intervention comes after months of speculation that Labour MPs will resign the whip in a bid to force their left-wing leader Jeremy Corbyn out. Sir David, who has given Labour £1.6 million. said that he would ‘willingly support’ a new party. He told The Times: ‘You ask if I would support a new party and I can only say to you that if the majority of the parliamentary Labour party, including those many members of Parliament for whom I have respect and like, decided to go in that direction, then I would willingly support such an endeavour as I have always supported the party, to which I have given so much time and commitment.’

Marilyn Monroe

Sun
A BIZARRE new conspiracy claims that Marilyn Monroe was murdered after threatening to leak classified information on the existence of aliens. Despite almost 55 years passing since the 36-year-old actress was found dead at her Los Angeles home, mystery still surrounds the cause of her death. Whilst a 1962 inquest ruled Marilyn had overdosed in a probable suicide, there are many who still believe the Hollywood star was murdered in an elaborate cover-up. A new UFO documentary, Unacknowledged, is the latest to put forward such a conspiracy theory – suggesting the star was killed by the US government after threatening to reveal top-secret information on extraterrestrials. The film follows ufologist Dr Steven Greer, as he explores what he claims is a well-documented history of the United States hiding evidence of alien life.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email