Today’s papers have a diverse range of top stories.
Reuters is one of those which reports on the growing tensions between Holyrood and Westminster.
Scotland may try to wrest control over migration as part of a new enhanced devolution deal once Britain leaves the European Union, Scotland’s minister for EU negotiations said on Friday.
Britain’s vote in June to quit the EU has put renewed strain on the 309-year union between England and Scotland, barely two years after a referendum in which Scots rejected independence.
Scotland voted in the June 23 referendum to stay in the EU, while England voted to leave, partly due to concerns over large-scale immigration from other EU countries. British Prime Minister Theresa May has promised to launch the two-year legal process of Brexit by the end of March 2017.
Sky News reports that the SNP leader is working towards staying in the EU.
Nicola Sturgeon will say Scotland intends to remain at the “very heart” of Europe as she unveils a four-point plan aimed at increasing trade and exports in the wake of the Brexit vote.
The SNP leader will make clear that “Scotland is open for business” and say the Brexit vote makes efforts to boost Scotland’s economy “even more important”.
The First Minister is expected to say during her closing speech to the SNP conference: “Make no mistake, the growth of our economy right now is threatened not just by the prospect of losing our place in the single market – disastrous though that would be.
And BBC News has a similar story.
Nicola Sturgeon is to declare Scotland “open for business” in the post-Brexit era by setting out new trading structures.
The SNP leader is to bring down the curtain on her party’s conference in Glasgow with a speech proclaiming a “new political era” in the UK.
She plans to set up a trade hub in Berlin, along with new trade staff in a bid to boost exports across Europe.
The first minister will also speak about her domestic policy priorities.
Many speakers at the SNP conference at the SECC in Glasgow have sought to illustrate policy differences between the Scottish and UK governments.
Ms Sturgeon is to underline this with her keynote speech, while criticising “utterly shameful” rhetoric from the Conservatives on immigration.
And the Telegraph reports a Scottish rebellion in the House of Commons.
Scottish National Party MPs are threatening to refuse to agree to a new code of conduct in the House of Commons that forces them to work in the best interests of the United Kingdom, despite the party’s policy to break it up.
A new draft code of conduct that governs the work of MPs has changed one of the key duties of MPs to require them to “have a duty to act in the interests of the United Kingdom as a whole”.
The previous code, which only came into force last year, required MPs merely to have “a general duty to act in the interests of the nation as a whole”.
Some SNP MPs – whose founding aim is to create an independent Scotland – are now threatening to vote against the code of conduct unless it is changed by Kathryn Hudson, the standards commissioner.
The Sun claims Miss Sturgeon will fight grammar school plans.
NICOLA Sturgeon’s SNP sparked outrage yesterday by vowing to block Theresa May’s schools revolution – saying they were “fundamentally opposed” to grammar schools.
Tory backbencher Andrew Bridgen accused the Nationalists of trying to sow even greater divisions between Scotland and England.
The SNP’s spokeswoman Carol Monaghan said they would be putting the plans under the microscope – despite education being a devolved matter.
Scotland is exempt from Theresa May’s education overhaul and grammar schools were phased out of the country decades ago.
But Ms Monaghan said yesterday any changes to pay or conditions in England could affect teachers pay north of the border.
Theresa May already has a battle on her hands to get the plans through parliament with a slim majority, Labour opposition and many Tory backbenchers voicing concerns.
Breitbart has a story along the lines that migrants are lying to the police in order to stay in the country.
Tens of thousands of illegal migrants were allowed to stay in the country after telling police that they were British or EU citizens, a report has found. In response, MPs have accused the police of “taking their eye off the ball” on immigration.
The report , by the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration found that in some areas across the country, police officers were taking migrants at their word regarding their right to remain in the country, rather than referring them to the Home Office for checks on their eligibility to stay in the UK as protocol demands.
According to police figures, between 185,000 and 193,000 foreign nationals were arrested by police forces in the UK between 1 April 2014 and 31 March 2015, of whom about a third were arrested by the Metropolitan Police Force, which covers London.
And ITV News claims there are problems identifying children who have the right to come to the UK.
There are hundreds of unaccompanied children in the Calais jungle migrant camp, but ITV News has discovered the extent of the struggle in identifying those eligible to be re-homed in the UK.
Charities believe 378 of them have a right to live in Britain.
The Home Secretary Amber Rudd said on Monday that a delay by French officials in establishing who those children are would end this week.
She told the Commons the government would move with “urgency” to bring them to the UK before the camp is closed by French authorities, which they say will happen by the end of this month.
On Friday, the Home Office arrived at the camp to begin processing the children.
Child Refugee Advocate Sue Clayton has also travelled there to help.
BBC News has a similar story.
British and French officials have begun registering unaccompanied children in the Calais “Jungle” who are hoping to join relatives in Britain.
A significant number of child refugees will arrive in the UK from the migrant camp within days, the BBC understands.
Officials have been focusing first on unaccompanied minors who have the right to join relatives under EU legislation.
A separate registration process will take place for vulnerable children who do not have family in the UK.
Under EU-wide regulation, asylum claims must be made in the first safe country a person reaches, but children can have their claim transferred to another country if they have family members living there.
The Dubs Amendment to the Immigration Act, originally put forward by Labour peer Lord Dubs, also requires the government to arrange for the transfer to the UK and support of unaccompanied refugee children from Europe.
And the Mail claims education is suffering as a result of a migrant baby boom.
More than half of England’s secondary schools are now oversubscribed as they are ‘crippled’ by a baby boom fuelled by high migration, new figures show.
The proportion of secondaries with more applications than pupil places rose to 50 per cent this year for the first time in a generation, according to research by the FindASchool website.
And the rate – which stood at just 43 per cent two years ago – is expected to get worse still, due to the bulge in secondary pupil numbers over the next five years.
Headteachers are already complaining of the ‘struggle’ that schools face because of oversubscription.
The future of energy in our country is addressed by Reuters.
Britain should support large-scale electricity storage schemes to help make intermittent renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power available around the clock, a parliamentary committee report said on Saturday.
“Energy storage is vital in building a clean electricity system … It will mean we won’t have to wait for the sun to shine or the wind to blow to get our energy from renewables,” said Angus MacNeil, chair of the cross-party Energy and Climate Change Committee.
It was the committee’s last report ahead of its dissolution on Monday as part of a departmental merger that will create the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
Does Labour support nuclear weapons or not? The Express says the answer is not clear.
LABOUR has been thrown into more chaos after the woman Jeremy Corbyn put in charge of defence policy defied him and said the party needs to back nuclear weapons.
Mr Corbyn, who has been dubbed a “peacenik” and wants to unilaterally scrap Trident, was humiliated by shadow defence secretary Nia Griffith who said the party needs to accept the nuclear weapons defence system has to be replaced not scrapped.
Ironically, the hard Left Labour leader had given her the job after demoting his former close ally Clive Lewis from the role because he had made a speech at the recent party conference in Liverpool making the same message.
The latest blow to the Labour leader’s authority follows one of Jeremy Corbyn‘s chief cheerleaders was recorded plotting his downfall.
Once again, the EU budget has not been signed off by independent auditors, reports the Express
THE European Commission has denied that Brussels has a problem with fraud after the EU’s auditors refused to sign off its accounts for the 21st year running.
The 141.5 billion euro budget for 2015 – including £20 billion from Britain – has been blasted by the Court of Auditors for being “materially affected by error”.
The court has issued an “adverse opinion” – reserved for serious accountancy failures – on the legality and regularity of the payments underlying the accounts.
The report highlights dubious areas of spending, including a bid for a monorail for olive farmers in Italy.
The European Union misspent £4.9billion last year, according to its annual audit.
It also discovered a 152 million euro overpayment to Romania for animal welfare and 325 cases of non-compliance with Single Market rules.
The service has been ordered to be more efficient rather than have more money thrown at it, reports the Guardian.
Theresa May has told the head of the NHS that it will get no extra money despite rapidly escalating problems that led to warnings this week that hospitals are close to breaking point.
The prime minister dashed any hopes of a cash boost in next month’s autumn statement when she met Simon Stevens, the chief executive of NHS England, senior NHS sources have told the Guardian. Instead she told him last month that the NHS should urgently focus on making efficiencies to fill the £22bn hole in its finances and not publicly seek more than the “£10bn extra” that ministers insist they have already pledged to provide during this parliament .
She told him the NHS could learn from the painful cuts to the Home Office and Ministry of Defence budgets that she and Philip Hammond, the chancellor, had overseen when they were in charge of those departments, according to senior figures in the NHS who were given an account of the discussion.
And the Sun has a similar report.
PRIME Minister Theresa May has told the head of the NHS that it will get no extra money despite warnings this week that hospitals are close to breaking point.
Senior sources say Mrs May dashed any hopes of increased funding on a meeting with Simon Stevens, the chief executive of NHS England last month.
Instead she told him that the NHS should urgently focus on making savings to fill the £22bn hole .
She told him to learn from cuts to the Home Office and Ministry of Defence budgets that she and Philip Hammond had overseen when they were in charge of those departments, senior figures in the NHS told the Guardian.
Health experts warned that the NHS would have to ration treatment, shut hospital units and cut staff if it gets no extra money soon .
The question of a new Heathrow runway is addressed by ITV News
The Prime Minister could clash with members of her cabinet if she backs a new runway at Heathrow Airport, a senior MP has warned.
Zac Goldsmith said that Theresa May will have to offer her party a free vote on the subject or give leave for cabinet members Boris Johnson and Justine Greening to be absent from the Commons.
Goldsmith, who failed in his bid to become London Mayor this year, said the Foreign Secretary and Education Secretary would not back expansion of Britain’s largest airport under any circumstances.
The PM is expected to make a decision on whether to back a new runway at Heathrow or Gatwick, or both, next week.
And the Guardian reports on an unlikely alliance.
An alliance of MPs opposed to the expansion of Heathrow, including the shadow chancellor, John McDonnell , and the Conservative MP Zac Goldsmith, are plotting to undermine the anticipated government approval of a third runway.
They are set to argue that the “real decision” will only come next year, when parliament votes on a national planning statement to expand the west London airport.
Gatwick’s hopes of getting permission to increase capacity alongside Heathrow were further dented on Friday as the owner of Stansted, Manchester Airports Group (MAG), promised to mount a legal challenge if more than one runway were approved.
ITV News reports on a deal to restrict the use of greenhouse gases.
A global deal to limit the use of greenhouse gases between 150 nations has been agreed, marking a major landmark in the effort to fight climate change.
About 150 nations meeting in Rwanda agreed the deal to reduce greenhouse gases used in refrigerators and air conditioners, a Rwandan minister announced to loud cheers on Saturday.
The deal, which followed all-night negotiations, caps and reduces the use of factory-made hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) gases in a gradual process.
The deal, agreed by US Secretary of State John Kerry, will see developing countries, including those in Europe, reducing their use of the gas by 10% in 2019.
Once again, the Star has an exclusive story, this time on the unstable Asian country.
KIM Jong-un has demanded Britain “immediately” cancels a joint air operation in South Korea next month.
The UK is scheduled to carry out its first joint air operations with the US and South Korea amid escalating tensions between Pyongyang and Seoul.
Britain is set to send four Eurofighter Typhoon combat jets, Voyager tanker aircraft and C-17 Globemaster transport aircraft to the exercise.
They will be joining F-15K and KF-16 fighters from South Korea and F-16 fighters from the US.
But the fearsome dictaror has warned the UK not to go forward with the operation, condemning it as a hostile act.
A spokesman for state-owned Korean Central News (KCNA) agency said: “This is a never-to-be pardoned serious challenge to peace and security.”
The spokesman also said Britain should “immediately withdraw its decision to take part in the military drills for aggression”.