EU

Negotiators have condemn the latest proposals for breaking the Brexit deadlock, says the Mail.

Brussels last night moved to rubbish Boris Johnson‘s Brexit  proposals before they have even got off the ground.
In what will be seen in Westminster as a hostile act, EU officials leaked a withering assessment of new British proposals to replace the controversial Irish backstop.
UK sources last night dismissed the assessment. But the decision to leak the document, which was circulated to ambassadors from the other 27 EU countries, will be seen as an attempt by European Commission hardliners to undermine talks which have been gathering momentum.
The EU memo dismissed the UK’s latest proposals, saying they did not provide a ‘legally operational’ alternative.
It said the UK ‘confirmed that the proposed concepts do not amount to legally operational solutions and would have to be developed during the transition period’.

The Express claims the leak was a ‘blow’.

HOPES of a Brexit deal have been dealt a blow after a leaked European Commission memo suggested draft plans submitted by the UK Government fail to offer an acceptable alternative to the backstop plan for the Irish border.
However, a UK Government source has hit back, insisting its proposals were “serious and workable”, and taking a swipe at the EU by saying leaks from Brussels were “par for the course”. President Jean-Claude Juncker told Sky News’ Sophy Ridge on Friday he had been sent documents by Prime Minister Boris Johnson outlining ideas for a new deal. However, documents obtained by Sky suggested Mr Johnson’s ideas failed to offer “legally operational solutions” to the backstop issue and “fall short of satisfying all the objectives”.

And the Guardian claims the negotiations have been ruptured.

Downing Street’s secrecy over its Brexit proposals has caused a fresh rupture in the negotiations in Brussels, a leaked email reveals, as EU officials warned that the talks are “going backwards”.
The row was sparked by a British demand that the EU’s negotiating team treat a long-awaited cache of documents outlining the UK’s latest ideas as “Her Majesty’s government property”.
Whitehall told the European commission team that the three “confidential” papers should not be distributed to Brexit delegates representing the EU’s 27 other member states.

And the Times looks at whether or not any deal could be agreed in Parliament.

The European Union’s chief Brexit negotiator has held a meeting with pro-deal Labour MPs as Brussels seeks to establish whether any agreement it strikes with Boris Johnson can be passed by parliament.
Michel Barnier met Stephen Kinnock and Caroline Flint on Thursday amid fears that even if the EU makes further concessions it would still be rejected by MPs. Mr Kinnock and Ms Flint represent about a dozen Labour MPs who would vote for a withdrawal agreement in defiance of party policy.

The problem, it seems, is still with the Irish backstop.  The Independent says there won’t be a deal without the backstop.

The European Union has rejected a request from the British government for a Brexit deal without an Irish backstop.
Brexit secretary Stephen Barclay on Thursday said the UK should be given until the end of 2020 to come up with a replacement for the policy – instead of the end-of-September deadline set by EU leaders.
The minister travelled to Brussels on Friday to meet with Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief negotiator – but was told that the EU could not consider a deal that did not include a backstop or replacement.

The Telegraph says the PM’s efforts are in jeopardy.

The EU appeared to jeopardise Boris Johnson’s efforts to secure a Brexit deal on Friday night, after leaking a memo critical of the UK’s new proposals for an alternative to the backstop.
The document emerged from Brussels on the eve of the Prime Minister’s trip to New York to meet EU leaders, just hours after the two sides appeared to be making progress in talks.
The memo, shared with the EU 27, said the proposals “fall short” of what was needed to remove the backstop.

‘Not good enough’ is the EU’s response, according to Sky News.

A leaked European Commission memo has said the latest draft proposals for a new Brexit deal “fall short of satisfying all the objectives of the Irish backstop”.
But shortly after the leak, the UK government hit back, with a source telling Sky News the ideas are “serious and workable” and that “leaks from Brussels on Twitter are par for the course – you can set your watch by them”.
Yesterday, in a UK exclusive interview with Sky’s Sophy Ridge, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker confirmed he had been sent documents by Prime Minister Boris Johnson  outlining the ideas for a new deal.

Breitbart quotes a top Irish politician.

Ireland’s deputy prime minister says the “mood music” over Brexit negotiations is improving but the sides remain far apart.
Simon Coveney told the BBC Friday there are still “serious problems” over how to handle the Irish border issue once Britain leaves the European Union.
He says British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has convinced Irish leaders he is serious about seeking a new deal but that realistic alternatives to the Irish backstop plan have not been made.

The Evening Standard says the deal is not fair.

Ireland today doused down the prospects of an imminent Brexit deal breakthrough, accusing the Government of not offering a “fair deal” to resolve the border backstop row.
Simon Coveney, Ireland’s deputy prime minister, said “we are not close to a deal right now” and reiterated that there remains a “wide gap” between London and Dublin over a new withdrawal agreement.

No deal

The Channel ports are ready, reports the Sun.

DOVER is “100 per cent” ready for a No Deal Brexit – the head of Britain’s busiest ferry port has declared.
Doug Bannister insisted that Britain’s most important terminal, ferry operators, Calais and Dunkirk were all fully prepared for whatever could happen on November 1.Seconds
The comments came as the Government shortlisted Brittany Ferries, P&O, Stena and Eurotunnel for £300million contract to ensure Britain doesn’t run out medicine or food after Brexit.

The Express has dismissed fears of holdups.

THE BOSS of one of the country’s busiest ports yesterday dismissed fears of miles-long queues of lorries at the British border following Brexit. Port of Dover chief executive Doug Bannister insisted that “each and every day the situation is improving” in the effort to prepare for the country’s scheduled departure from the EU on October 31.
In a media interview, he played down warnings of traffic gridlock in Kent as a “worst-case scenario” set out in a recently released Government document outlining no-deal Brexit contingency plans.
He said: “We are doing whatever we can to ensure that Britain continues to trade effectively in a post-Brexit scenario.

Speaker

Who might replace John Bercow?  The Mail reports on some of the front-runners.

Harriet Harman today vowed to push on with her bid to become the next Commons Speaker despite local activists threatening to oust her from her seat.
The former minister’s Camberwell and Peckham constituency party voted last night to express ‘disquiet’ at her run for the coveted post.
Members also hinted that she could face a rival Labour candidate at the next election if she becomes Speaker – flouting the convention of the main parties not fielding opponents to the presiding officer.

BBC News says she won’t pull out of the race.

Labour MP Harriet Harman says she will “not back down” in the race to replace John Bercow as Commons Speaker, despite objections from her local party.
Members in Camberwell and Peckham, London, voted to urge her to pull out, and hinted they could run a candidate against her at the next election.
But the ex-Labour deputy leader said her devotion to her constituency would be “unshakeable” if she became Speaker.

The Express reports on Ms Harman’s constituency.

HARRIET HARMAN yesterday refused to abandon her bid to become the next Commons Speaker despite a backlash from local Labour party activists. Members of Camberwell and Peckham Constituency Labour Party voted on Thursday night to express its “disquiet” at her decision to run as a successor to John Bercow, who is set to retire from the coveted role at the end of next month.
Some Labour insiders also hinted that the veteran MP could face a Labour candidate at the next general election if she gets the job, flouting the Westminster tradition that the main parties do not contest the Speaker’s seat. Miss Harman tweeted yesterday: “I will not back down”, while declaring her “unshakeable” commitment to her constituents.

The Labour leader has commented, says the Times.

Jeremy Corbyn faced criticism from within his party yesterday after declining to “interfere” as left-wing activists signalled that they could try to oust Harriet Harman.
The row erupted after Ms Harman’s constituency told her to quit the race to be Commons Speaker  or face a pro-Corbyn challenger at the next election.
Labour has a longstanding commitment not to run candidates against the Speaker. Tom Watson, the party’s deputy leader, criticised the threat. He said that it was “inconceivable” that they would field a candidate.

Brexit

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister will head to the States tomorrow to talk to European leaders, reports the Express.

BORIS JOHNSON will make an early dash to a New York summit tomorrow for urgent talks with European leaders amid growing hopes of a Brexit deal.
The Prime Minister yesterday rushed forward his flight to the US for the United Nations General Assembly by a day to give more time for face-to-face meetings with the EU’s top powerbrokers on the margins of the gathering.
In a sign efforts to clinch a deal are being stepped up, he is to meet French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel together on Monday to discuss details of his proposals for replacing the “backstop” border measure.

But Labour are threatening to stymie a deal, reports the Mirror.

John McDonnell dealt a blow to Boris Johnson’s hopes of getting a Brexit deal through Parliament today – if the Prime Minister eventually thrashes one out with the EU.
The shadow chancellor suggested the Tory deal would fall short of Labour demands and claimed he could not be trusted to safeguard key issues like workers and environmental rights.
He warned that the Opposition would be wary about Mr Johnson then “selling out the country” to Donald Trump in a trade deal with the US.

But another shadow minister says in the Express that the party could support Boris’ plan …

SHADOW FOREIGN SECRETARY Emily Thornberry has suggested Labour could agree to back a Brexit deal negotiated by Boris Johnson and the Tories on the condition that a second referendum is held.
The comments were made as the party gears up for its conference in Brighton. Speaking to The Guardian she said: “I think it’s something we would have to consider. “We would have to consider it seriously.
“We would.”

… as long as they get a second referendum, says the Independent.

Labour MPs are to make a fresh bid to force a second referendum on any Brexit deal secured by Boris Johnson.
Peter Kyle and Philip Wilson believe that their amendment – which won 280 votes and was defeated by a majority of just 12 in April – could be passed by MPs at a second attempt, now that the prime minister has lost his majority in the Commons and Labour is unequivocally committed to a people’s vote on any Brexit outcome.

Labour Party

The knives are out for the deputy leader, claims the Mail.

Tom Watson has survived a bid to oust him as deputy leader, but could still face the boot when the party’s ruling body meets tomorrow.
At a meeting of Labour’s National Executive Committee last night, Jon Lansman proposed a motion to abolish the post of deputy leader, currently held by Tom Watson, citing his disloyalty over Brexit, according to two party officials.
The chair of the committee ruled the motion should be thrown out. Members voted 17 to 10 to overturn that decision but did not reach the two thirds majority required for it to pass, the officials said.

The plot is to be debated, says Sky News.

The Labour Party’s ruling body is to consider abolishing the post of deputy leader.
According to two party officials, Momentum founder Jon Lansman, a key ally of leader Jeremy Corbyn, brought the motion – citing deputy leader Tom Watson’s disloyalty over Brexit.
The chair of Labour’s National Executive Committee ruled the motion should be thrown out, but it is likely to go back before the committee today.

And Huffington Post claims the party is in a civil war.

Labour’s civil war has dramatically reignited after a shock move to abolish Tom Watson’s post as deputy leader of the party.
At a meeting of the National Executive Committee on Friday night, Momentum founder Jon Lansman proposed a motion to scrap the post, citing Watson’s disloyalty over Brexit.
The chair of the NEC ruled the motion out of order before members voted 17 to 10 hear it.
Without a required two thirds majority, the motion was not discussed but it will be on the agenda on Saturday – and is expected to pass.

ITV News claims the plan is controversial.

Moves to oust Tom Watson as Labour’s deputy leader have provoked controversy.
Labour’s National Executive Committee (NEC) is to vote on whether to abolish the position of deputy leader on Saturday.
Mr Watson has publicly clashed with Jeremy Corbyn on a number of occasions.
He recently called for a new Brexit referendum to be held before a general election.
Labour’s NEC is to consider abolishing the post of deputy party leader on Saturday after a bid to get rid of the post failed at a meeting on Friday.

The Guardian reports that Momentum is at the heart of the plot.

Labour has been plunged into a fresh civil war on the eve of its annual conference, as allies of Jeremy Corbyn launched a bid to abolish Tom Watson’s post of deputy leader.
Jon Lansman, founder of the pro-Corbyn campaign group Momentum, tabled a last-minute motion at the party’s ruling national executive committee (NEC) on Friday night calling for Watson’s job to be scrapped.

Is this about Brexit?  The Telegraph seems to think so.

Labour’s Brexit civil war spilled out into the open on Friday night, as Momentum founder Jon Lansman ambushed Tom Watson and put forward proposals to abolish the role of deputy leader.
In a drastic move on the eve of the party’s annual conference, Mr Lansman put forward plans to abolish Mr Watson’s position in an apparent act of revenge for his lack of lack of loyalty towards Jeremy Corbyn.
Lashing out at Mr Watson’s refusal to toe the line over Brexit, the Momentum chief put forward a motion to Labour’s national executive committee calling for the deputy role to be wound up.

And the Times says it’s because the deputy leader was disloyal.

A senior ally of Jeremy Corbyn mounted an extraordinary attempt last night to remove Tom Watson as Labour’s deputy leader for his “disloyalty” over Brexit.
Jon Lansman, the head of Momentum, tabled a motion at a meeting of the party’s ruling body calling for the post of deputy leader to be abolished. The chairman of the body ruled it out of order because there was no advance notice of the motion. Mr Lansman tried to overturn that ruling, winning by 17 votes to ten, one vote short of the two-thirds majority required.
The motion will be on the agenda at the national executive committee this morning, where it will need only a simple majority to be put forward at  the party conference this weekend.

The Labour leader is unpopular, says the Mail.

Jeremy Corbyn is the most unpopular Opposition leader ever, according to a new poll, as the Labour leader prepares to face an all-out Remainer rebellion at his party’s annual conference.
The veteran left-winger’s net rating of minus 60 is below that of his hero Michael Foot who led Labour to disaster in the early 1980s and whose hard-left 1983 general election manifesto was described as the ‘longest suicide note in history’.

UKIP

The party’s leader will not attend this weekend’s conference, says BBC News.

UKIP’s party conference has opened in Newport despite its newly-elected leader refusing to attend the event.
Earlier this week, Richard Braine said he would not be coming due to “low ticket sales”, after calling for the event to be cancelled.
Party chair Kirstan Herriot said it was “an insult” for him not to turn up.
UKIP’s leader in Wales, Neil Hamilton, told BBC Wales it was “absurd” that Mr Braine would miss the event for what Mr Hamilton called a “spurious reason”.

Grooming gang

There are still repercussions over girls being groomed in Rotherham.  The Mail reports another man has been jailed.

A member of a Rotherham grooming gang has been jailed for 18 years for indecently assaulting three girls between 1999 and 2001.
Mohammed Ahsan, 35, had previously pleaded guilty to abusing the three girls at Sheffield Crown Court.
Ahsan is the 20th person to be convicted as part of Operation Stovewood which is being run by the National Crime Agency.

Wind power

Offshore wind plans could be progressing, says the Telegraph.

Wind has won the argument. The auction prices for offshore projects announced today have blown away the competition.
Four projects on the Dogger Bank – more than 60 miles out into the North Sea, and invisible even to the most outraged Nimby armed with a telescope – will have five gigawatts (GW) of capacity at a strike price ranging from £39.65 to £41.61 per megawatt/hour (MWh) from 2023 to 2024.
A further project off Scotland will come in at similar price levels.
This is 30pc below the amazing figures achieved in the 2017 auction (£57.50) that stunned the power industry, which in turn were a fraction of the Treasury’s previous estimates.

Thomas Cook

The troubled holiday company has asked for government help, reports the Times.

Thomas Cook is on the brink of collapse with the government poised to reject a last-ditch appeal for a bailout. Up to 150,000 Britons could be stranded abroad.
The world’s oldest travel company turned to ministers yesterday to request £200 million in emergency funding after lenders threatened to pull out of a rescue.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email