EU owes UK billions? Tusk says no, claims the Express.
A SENIOR Eurocrat rejected a suggestion from Theresa May the EU could owe Britain billions of pounds.
EU Council President Donald Tusk dismissed the idea that Brussels should repay some of the cash from UK taxpayers invested in the bloc’s projects such as the European Investment Bank.
And he claimed that the issue of a possible Brexit bill was not being pushed because the EU wanted cash but rather to settle existing obligations.
His remarks, at the G7 Summit in Sicily, came as the Prime Minister insisted talks on a new UK-EU trade deal should not be held up by the row over the size of the divorce payment.
Asked at the summit whether the EU could owe Britain cash because of past payments into existing assets, Mr Tusk said: “No, we have to respect our obligations and I think it’s not about money, it’s about rules and also it’s about a good basis for our future relations.
France’s new president has had talks with Theresa May, reports the Times.
Theresa May used her first meeting with Emmanuel Macron since his election as French president to press him to allow Brexit trade and divorce talks to take place at the same time.
At the G7 summit in Sicily yesterday the pair spoke mainly about the response to the Manchester terrorist attack.
With Brexit talks due to begin two weeks after the election on June 8, Mrs May pushed Mr Macron on the structure of the negotiations with the rest of the EU insisting that Britain must settle its bill before discussions could begin on a new trade agreement.
The Express calls the PM ‘bullish’ in the talks.
A BULLISH Theresa May has told Emmanuel Macron she wants talks to begin on a new EU deal for without waiting for agreement on the Brexit “divorce” bill.
The Prime Minister used her first one-to-one meeting with new French President Mr Macron since he took office earlier this month – held in the margins of the G7 summit in Taormina, Sicily – to press him on the forthcoming Brexit negotiations.
During the French elections, Mr Macron took a tough line on Brexit, backing the stance of EU negotiators who are insisting there must be progress on settling the terms of the UK’s departure – including the financial settlement – before talks on a new deal can start.
Following their discussions, Downing Street said Mrs May had also raised the issue of the future rights of EU nationals living in Britain and British nationals living in the EU after Brexit with Mr Macron.
And Breitbart claims Macron refused Mrs May’s request for trade talks.
French President Emmanuel Macron on Friday brushed off Theresa May’s request for early talks on a trade deal with the EU after Brexit.
As the two held their first official talks on the sidelines of the G7 summit, British Prime Minister May repeated that she would like to start talks on trade at the start of the negotiations, rather than waiting until after the thorny issues of Britain’s financial settlement and expatriate rights are resolved.
“The prime minister reaffirmed her wish for early clarity on the position of EU citizens in the UK and vice versa,” a Downing Street spokesman said.
“She also made clear that Britain and the 27 EU member states should be discussing our future relationship with the EU at the same time as discussing the terms of our withdrawal.”
However, a source in the French delegation said Macron had repeated the EU?s position that the terms of the divorce must be first.
The Labour leader has refused to reduce the numbers coming into the UK, says the Sun.
JEREMY CORBYN has said he will make “no promises” to slash migration if he becomes Prime Minister next month.
The Labour leader would only say he was in favour of “managed migration” when we quit the European Union.
In an embarrassing interview with the BBC’s Andrew Neil this evening he also grilled over his links to the IRA, and his earlier speech where he linked the Manchester bombing to Britain’s own foreign policy.
He refused to commit to cutting immigration this evening.
Mr Corbyn said: “We’ve had Theresa May promising in three elections to make cuts to immigration.
“I’m making no promises on that. We are in favour of managed immigration when the free movement ends when we leave the European Union.”
The Express has a similar story.
JEREMY CORBYN has said he will make “no promises” to lower immigration during an interview with the BBC’s Andrew Neil.
The Labour Party leader was next in line to face the veteran BBC host and said he would not follow Theresa May down the road of pledging to lower immigration figures.
Mrs May, twice as Home Secretary and once as Prime Minister, has said she would lower net migration to the tens of thousands, something Mr Corbyn refused to match.
Mr Corbyn has previously said a Labour government would deliver a “fair” immigration policy and recognised it will “probably be lower”, adding he did not want to make predictions.
Neil insisted Mr Corbyn and Labour were not the party to fulfil some voters demands to lower the migration number.
There is confusion in the opinion polls. The Independent says the Tory lead has reduced.
Labour has slashed the Conservatives’ lead in the polls to just five points, the latest YouGov/Times results show.
The party has made consistent gains in recent weeks as leader Jeremy Corbyn claimed his message was finally getting through to voters.
The results show a four point change since last week when the Tories were leading by nine percentage points – the first time Labour had narrowed the gap to single figures since Theresa May called the snap election on 18 April.
The Mirror claims the election is heading Labour’s way.
Labour deputy leader Tom Watson has ridiculed Theresa May as “weak and unstable” as the Conservative leader’s engulfed by a doorstep backlash.
With opinion polls moving dramatically Labour’s way the veteran campaigner said he’s picking up huge public concern over Tory raids on the elderly’s winter fuel allowances and social care price hikes.
Watson returned to the campaign trail in his West Bromwich backyard yesterday after the three-day national suspension following the Manchester terror attack.
He vowed to hammer home the harm the Conservatives would inflict on working families in a race against time before the election.
The Morning Star claims the Conservatives’ decision not to restart their campaign was because of their poll ratings.
THE TORIES cancelled their re-election campaign yesterday soon after it was revealed their opinion poll lead has shrunk to five points.
The party declined to give the reason for further suspension of their campaign.
All parties’ campaigns were paused for three days as a mark of respect for the 22 people killed in the Manchester bombing, and Jeremy Corbyn relaunched Labour’s with a speech on foreign policy and tackling terrorism.
But after Tory ratings plummeted following campaign disasters – such as the U-turn on the dementia tax and declaring plans to replace universal free primary school lunches with breakfasts costing 7p per child – Brexit Secretary David Davis suddenly pulled out of a planned event in central London on Friday.
But the Sun claims the result will be a large Conservative majority.
THE TORIES are on course to win a hugely increased majority because voters massively prefer Theresa May to Jeremy Corbyn, a new poll finds.
The exclusive survey shows the Conservatives leading Labour by eight points – suggesting they will win a majority of around 60.
That would be a large gain on the party’s previous majority of just ten, but fall short of predictions that Mrs May could win a historic landslide.
The poll – carried out for The Sun after the Manchester bombing – comes as the Tories appear to have slipped back following the row over their election manifesto.
But Mrs May will take comfort from the finding that 59 per cent of voters would like to see her stay as PM, with just 37 per cent preferring Mr Corbyn.
The Express has found that Labour is gaining ground.
JEREMY Corbyn’s Labour Party has surged ahead in the latest polls and has all-but closed the gap with Theresa May’s Conservative Party. But can Labour win the general election?
Jeremy Corbyn has resumed campaigning today with a speech which laid out his anti-terror and defence plans in the wake of the Manchester bomb attack.
The Labour Party leader said: There is no question about the seriousness of what we face. Over recent years, the threat of terrorism has continued to grow.
“You deserve to know what a Labour Government will do to keep you and your family safe. Our approach will involve change at home and change abroad.”
The threat of terrorism still reverberates around the media. The Sun reports on a court case.
THREE men appeared in court charged over an alleged “mass murder” plot to detonate a car bomb in central London.
The suspected scheme, said to have been foiled by police and MI5, was allegedly inspired by Westminster killer Khalid Masood.
Police fear possible targets included Parliament, Tower Bridge, Westfield shopping centre, Heathrow Airport, the MI5 and MI6 buildings and the BBC.
Gay nightclubs, the Queen’s Guards, embassies including the Russian, US and Chinese missions, plus City banks and a Freemasons’ Lodge were also thought to be at risk.
The Mail claims security over the bank holiday will be high.
Britain faces an unprecedented bank holiday terror lockdown.
Amid fears that members of the Manchester bomb cell are on the loose, hundreds of armed officers will patrol major sporting, cultural and even community occasions.
Security at more than 1,300 events this weekend – including the FA cup final, premiership rugby final and Hay literary festival – has been dramatically reviewed.
Police marksmen will also be sent to theme parks, beaches and resorts. Senior officers believe the key players behind Monday’s carnage are in custody but have warned of further arrests in their sprawling inquiry.
ITV News reports further arrests.
Police have made two further arrests in the investigation into the Manchester bombing, as a vast security operation gets under way and armed police move to protect events over the Bank Holiday weekend.
Police raided an address in the Cheetham Hill area of Manchester in the early hours of Saturday morning, arrested two men aged 20 and 22 on suspicion of terror offences.
That brings the total number of people arrested in the ongoing investigation up to 13 – of which 11 remain in custody.
Greater Manchester Police said they carried out a controlled explosion to gain entry to the house in Cheetham Hill, north of the city centre.
And the Star claims medics have been put on alert.
HOSPITALS across England have been warned to prepare for a potential terror attack this Bank Holiday weekend.
NHS England has sent a message to its 27 Major Trauma Units across the country to start preparation in case a deadly blast takes place.
The move is not in response to any fresh intelligence, it says, but comes amid the UK’s heightened terror threat to critical.
It follows the Manchester Arena attack on Monday night in which a deadly nail bomb killed 22 people, including many children.
There are even terror alerts abroad, reports the Sun.
LAS Vegas is on alert after police deemed an ISIS video that warns of attack on sin city a “credible threat”.
The footage calls for lone wolf knife and truck attacks on the West and features clips of the city’s iconic Boulevard, including Caesar’s Palace and the Bellagio Hotel.
The chilling 44-minute video, which was released last week but understood to have been recorded in 2015, comes in the wake of the Manchester terror attack and ahead of Memorial Day celebrations this weekend.
Capt. Christopher Darcy, who heads up counter terrorism, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal: “I think anytime somebody goes on the internet and makes a threat that they’re going to conduct a lone-wolf or any type of attack, it’s our responsibility to view it as a credible threat.
The Tories’ plan to allow a vote on hunting with foxes is not supported, says the Independent.
Only one in 10 people supports Theresa May’s plan to bring back fox hunting, according to a poll for The Independent.
The survey of voters, conducted by ORB, found that 64 per cent disagree with the statement that the ban on fox hunting should be reversed, and a very high proportion (46 per cent) say they “disagree strongly”. Just 11 per cent agree with the policy, and a quarter (25 per cent) neither agree nor disagree.
The Tory manifesto, published on 18 May, promised a free vote in Parliament on a bill to “decide the future of the Hunting Act”. That legislation, passed in 2004 by Labour under Tony Blair, outlawed the hunting with dogs of foxes and other wild mammals.
Our own party’s fisheries spokesman has warned that our fishing rights could be negotiated away, says UKIP’s own website.
UKIP fisheries spokesman, Mike Hookem MEP, has blasted the Conservatives for trying to “double cross” fishing communities with “weasel-worded” manifesto pledges after it emerged the Tories believed the future of the UK fishing industry lay in “processing fish from Iceland and Norway”, rather than reclaiming our seas.
Pressed by Mike Hookem into revealing Tory plans for the fishing industry post-Brexit, Great Grimsby Conservative candidate, Jo Gideon, said; “what I’m saying is the fishing industry as it exists now, and as it’s likely to exist in the future, is about processing fish from Iceland and Norway.” Ms Gideon later said she’d had a “very productive meeting” with DEFRA minister, Andrea Leadsom on the matter.
The admission came only days after fishermen slammed the Conservative manifesto which only promised to “reclaim our traditional fishing grounds”, saying this meant the Conservatives would only enforce the twelve-mile limit rather than the two-hundred-mile limit that is the UK’s right under international law.