The Prime Minister’s Chequers plan seems to have prompted rebellion in her party, says the Express.
UP TO 100 Tory MPs are preparing to rebel against Theresa May unless she scraps her controversial Chequers plan for Brexit.
As the Government steps up its moves to sell the Prime Minister’s deal to Brussels this week, Brexiteers have demanded she instead study an alternative plan they say will deliver the Brexit that Britain voted for.
MPs led by Jacob Rees-Mogg are drawing up the alternative proposal, to be published in the next fortnight, and one – who quit the Government last month – warned that there was “just one month left to save Brexit”.
Number 10 is standing firm against the demands and there were signs last night that Brussels is willing to compromise to reach a deal.
Huffington Post claims there’s a battle looming.
Moderate Conservatives have been warned to get ready to “battle” for control of the Tory party, as MPs position themselves to replace Theresa May as leader.
Nicky Morgan, the former education secretary, told HuffPost UK that “now is the time for liberal Conservative voters to sign up and become members” of the party.
Her call came as Leave.EU, the campaign group founded by former Ukip donor Arron Banks, urged hard Brexiteers to join the Tories to “take back control of the party”.
The group has branded May’s Chequers Brexit plan “a complete sell out” and pro-Remain Tory MPs “faux-conservative traitors”.
Boris Johnson is currently the grassroots favourite to takeover as Tory leader after he quit the government in protest at May’s plan being too soft.
‘Get on with it’ is the message in the Sun.
FED-UP voters today send a clear Brexit message to politicians — get on with it.
Nearly half of Brits think we should leave the EU on March 29 with or without a deal, a Sun on Sunday poll reveals.
They are sick of Brussels bullying and resistant MPs stalling — and simply want ministers to deliver.
The mood of the nation is hardening after two years of bitter rows and fruitless negotiations since the historic referendum result.
An overwhelming 62 per cent say they have not changed their minds. Those who have are mostly Remainers who would now vote Leave.
Many people are deeply sceptical about the tedious stumbling blocks that have bogged down the process.
Prepare for battle! It seems the campaign for a new vote has been given a financial boost, says the Independent.
The businessman behind the Superdry fashion label is donating £1m to the People’s Vote campaign for a new referendum on Brexit.
Self-made entrepreneur Julian Dunkerton said he was giving the money because there is “no vision for Brexit” being offered by the government.
It will be used to launch one of the biggest polling operations ever undertaken in UK politics, to bolster the campaign for a new public vote.
The Guardian also has the story.
The campaign for a referendum on the final Brexit deal has been boosted by a record £1m donation, amid growing public concern that Britain will leave the EU without any agreement.
The multimillionaire Julian Dunkerton, who co-founded the Superdry fashion label, said he was making the donation to the People’s Vote campaign because he saw a “genuine chance to turn this around”. He claimed that, if Brexit had happened 20 years earlier, his brand would never have been a success.
The donation will fund a polling blitz that organisers hope will inject critical momentum into their campaign. Those backing a new public vote face a race against time before Britain ceases to be an EU member after March next year.
The long-awaited Brexit technical notes will start to be published soon, says the Independent.
The government is to begin publishing its Brexit technical notices, setting out the consequences of crashing out of the EU without a deal, on Thursday, the prime minister’s office has said.
The first of the explanatory documents are expected from the Department for Exiting the European Union (DExEU) within days and are designed to inform citizens and businesses how to cope with a no-deal scenario.
All 84 of the notices are due to be published before the end of September. Some are thought to be broad in scope, covering issues like financial services, company law and climate change, while others will focus on specific problems including travelling abroad with pets.
BBC News news also covers the announcement.
The government will on Thursday publish the first in a series of technical notices designed to prepare the UK for the possibility of a no-deal Brexit.
The notices will include advice for businesses, citizens and public bodies.
Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab said securing a deal was still “the most likely outcome” – but added making alternative arrangements was the “responsible” thing to do.
The European Union has already produced 68 technical notices of its own.
Between late August and the end of September, government departments are expected to publish around 70 technical notices.
Mr Raab – who travels to Brussels this week to continue negotiations with the EU – said the advice was necessary to “mitigate the risks and make sure the UK is ready to make a success of Brexit”.
The Telegraph warns that we may have to follow the bloc’s rules even if we leave without a deal.
Britain will recognise some EU regulations in the event of a no-deal Brexit to ensure that the country does not grind to a halt, The Telegraph has learned.
Government papers setting out what will happen if the UK leaves without a deal make clear that Britain will adopt a “flexible” approach to ensure EU medicines, car parts and chemicals are still available in the UK.
One industry source, who has seen several of the papers that are due to be published on Thursday, said the “permissive” nature of the plans suggest they are “project ‘no fear’”.
Concerns have been raised that the M20 will be turned into a giant lorry park because of huge disruption to cross-channel trade.
Our former leader’s claims on ‘Project Fear’ are criticised in the Independent.
British doctors have hit back at Nigel Farage’s claims that they are scaremongering, arguing that they have a duty to be honest with the people about the “real dangers” of a no-deal Brexit.
The British Medical association also repeated its warning that the consequences of leaving the EU without a deal would be “potentially catastrophic” for the NHS, after Mr Farage attacked them in a newspaper article.
He announced on Saturday that he will once again begin actively campaigning in British politics against Theresa May’s “fraudulent” plans for Brexit, due to the “deceit and treachery” of politicians and senior figures in British society.
In particular he singled out an exclusive report in The Independent on warnings from the BMA that a no-deal Brexit would be a “catastrophe” for the NHS, dismissing it as “Project Fear”.
Over in France, it seems the president is backing a campaign for a cross-party coalition of anti-Brexiteers, says the Mail.
Emmanuel Macron is backing a controversial move by Tory and Labour MPs to join forces to counter the risk of Brexit fuelling a rise in UK extremism.
The French President has endorsed a bid by Theresa May‘s former No 10 policy chief to forge a new cross-party ‘coalition’ of MPs opposed to a ‘no-deal Brexit’.
Tory MP George Freeman says the UK faces a ‘Black Monday’ economic meltdown if, as an increasing number of politicians predict, it withdraws from the EU without an agreement in March.
Mr Macron has sent a letter of support to a ‘Big Tent’ political rally being hosted by Mr Freeman in Cambridge next month.
The EU is going to be in financial trouble when we leave, warns Westmonster.
Greece has warned the EU if they refuse to give the UK a Brexit deal it will create “increased financial and political instability” due to the huge blackhole Britain will leave in EU finances.
Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab has said that leaving with No Deal would mean the EU would no receive the £40bn Brexit bill.
A document produced by the Greek Government suggests there will be a £10bn-a-year deficit if the UK leaves on WTO rules.
This is a stark warning to Brussels who have so far attempted to punish the UK in the negotiations which could mean Britain leaving without a deal.
Poorer countries who rely on EU handouts are worried that they will lose out after Brexit.
And it seems the European police will also be hit, reports the Sun.
POLICE forces across Europe will be badly hampered if Britain leaves the EU without a deal, a report reveals today.
They will find it TEN TIMES harder to track down criminals unless we agree a new security partnership.
Official figures show how the 27 other member states benefit far more from using the European Arrest Warrant to extradite fleeing suspects.
For every fugitive arrested abroad on a UK-issued warrant, our cops nab ten on behalf of EU colleagues.
British police have held and handed over 12,267 people wanted by other European forces since 2009 – in return for just 1,250 of our suspects caught abroad.
The Labour leader is under pressure again, says the Telegraph.
Jeremy Corbyn enjoyed a string of foreign visits without declaring them officially in Parliament prompting claims that he could have breached rules and be suspended as an MP.
The Telegraph can disclose a list of at least nine overseas visits by the future Labour leader between 2007 and 2014, none of which was declared in the register for members’ interests.
Mr Corbyn is already facing an investigation for failing to declare his separate trip to Tunisia in October 2014 when he was accused of holding a wreath close by the graves of the terrorists who massacred 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
It seems the former foreign secretary’s Facebook page is under investigation, reports the Times.
Boris Johnson is at the centre of a new row over racism after an investigation into online abuse revealed his official Facebook page hosts hundreds of Islamophobic messages.
Under entries that publicise Johnson’s articles and speeches, the MP’s followers left comments including calls to ban Islam and deport Muslims, as well as vile attacks on the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan.
Among the remarks on the former foreign secretary’s official Facebook page are calls for “no Muslims in government, police or army”.
One post reads: “That’s crazy to trust them. They are just waiting for the Jihad signal to turn on us. #islamophobicandproud.”
ITV News also covers the story.
Boris Johnson’s official Facebook page is host to hundreds of Islamophobic messages, it has been reported.
The Sunday Times said an investigation it carried out into online abuse had uncovered calls to ban Islam, deport Muslims and “vile” attacks on London mayor Sadiq Khan.
A source close to the former foreign secretary said he “totally condemns” the “hateful” views posted by a small minority of respondents.
Mr Johnson is currently facing an internal Conservative Party investigation for an article he wrote for The Daily Telegraph likening women who wear the Muslim full face veil to “bank robbers” and “letterboxes”.
With exams being dumbed down, the Times reports on proposals for the country’s elite students.
A tiny group of about 1,000 brilliant teenagers will be crowned the nation’s academic high-flyers when more than half a million youngsters get their GCSE results this week.
The elite band, making up 0.2% of candidates, is expected to score the highest grade of 9 across a clean sweep of eight of this summer’s new tough GCSEs, according to a report to be published tomorrow.
This is about one-tenth of those who were awarded eight A* grades under the old system in 2015. The grade of 9 on the new 9-1 scale has been called an “A**” by some commentators.
Faulty equipment may be to blame for deaths, says the Times.
In an attempt to cut costs the NHS knowingly put thousands of patients’ lives at risk for at least eight years by using syringe pumps that failed to meet internationally recognised minimum safety standards.
A Sunday Times investigation has identified up to nine patient deaths that occurred because Britain carried on using the equipment despite its potential dangers after other countries had chosen to stop using them.
Experts believe the true number of fatalities linked to the pumps may be many times higher and has gone unrecorded because of an institutional indifference to elderly patients in their final days.
The Times has a personal account of a problem.
For readers casually flicking through the personal notices of the Great Yarmouth Mercury newspaper earlier this month, one message stood out in its searing, tragic honesty.
Addressed to Michael Shuckford and accompanied by a picture of a single red rose, it said: “My darling husband, the face I loved is now laid low . . . I often sit and think of him when I am all alone; for memory is the only thing that grief can call its own.”
The message was signed off with kisses: “Still heartbroken — wife Evelyn.”
Shuckford, 79, died seven years ago in August 2011 after receiving an opiate overdose at the James Paget University Hospital in Norfolk.
And the Mail has another.
A heartbroken husband has condemned a hospital after a series of blunders during a routine test left his wife dead.
Stewart Jones is furious that the Princess Alexandra in Essex has still not apologised for the loss of his wife Kate, a devoted mother of four.
Mrs Jones, 35, visited the hospital in Harlow in 2013 for an angiogram to check for narrowing of her arteries. But errors by medical staff triggered two heart attacks, the second of which proved fatal.
‘I took my wife to hospital for a test that we thought was perfectly safe and I went home a widower,’ said Mr Jones, 48. Although the hospital later reached a £700,000 out-of-court settlement with the family, Mr Jones said the lack of apology had ‘made everything so much worse’.
It seems the police are under increasing pressure, says the Telegraph.
Police are relying on an increasing number of civilians to investigate major crimes including homicides and sexual assault, prompting fears that public safety could be put at risk.
Figures obtained by The Sunday Telegraph under Freedom of Information legislation from 10 police forces reveal hundreds of civilian staff have been trained to work on serious investigations including child abuse and terrorism offences.
The Metropolitan Police and Merseyside Police admitted hiring retired detectives to solve crimes in an echo of the BBC TV series New Tricks in which former police officers are brought back to solve difficult cases.
And as if the police aren’t stretched enough, motorists could be targeted, reports the Mail.
Motorists could be fined for driving just 1mph over the speed limit under a zero-tolerance crackdown being considered by police chiefs.
An official review is now under way into the ‘buffer zone’ that currently protects drivers from punishment if they go slightly too fast.
And the MoS can reveal that the national roads policing chief is strongly in favour of the tougher approach, as he believes the existing leeway gives out the wrong signal and could be contributing to increasing injuries on the roads.
The Times claims the police’s security vetting checks have failed.
Up to 20,000 people have been cleared to work with children and vulnerable adults without going through full security checks after Scotland Yard secretly relaxed its vetting system.
Leaked documents reveal that senior Metropolitan police officers decided temporarily to stop vetting members of the public against intelligence databases after being criticised for delays in their approval of people to work with children.
Last night critics said the Met’s decision had risked allowing another Ian Huntley, the Soham murderer, to slip through the net.
The documents, seen by The Sunday Times, show senior Scotland Yard officers decided to relax the system secretly in the last six months of 2016.
The Telegraph has a report on a potential answer to the social care crisis.
The Government is considering launching a “Care Isa” which would be exempt from inheritance tax, in an effort to solve the country’s social care crisis.
At present, Isas are taxed at death, so people are incentivised to spend their savings as opposed to keeping them to fund their care, which is often needed at the very end of their life.
The Treasury has been reviewing proposals to include the Care Isa in the Government’s upcoming social care Green Paper, The Telegraph can reveal.
Under the proposals, Care Isas would be capped to reflect care costs and any amount unspent could be passed on to the holder’s family when they die.
It seems Chinese pirates are plundering war graves, says the Mail.
Ten British ships sunk during the Second World War and designated as war graves have been plundered for scrap metal by Chinese pirates, an investigation by The Mail on Sunday has found.
Vessels that provide the final resting place for more than 1,000 sailors have been smashed to pieces and looted by greedy salvagers. Last night Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson demanded an immediate investigation. ‘The UK Government absolutely condemns the unauthorised disturbance of any wreck containing human remains, and always has done,’ he said.
‘A military wreck should remain undisturbed and those who lost their lives on board should be allowed to rest in peace.’
Do you have a water meter? If you’re thinking of getting one think again, says the Times.
Families with water meters can pay at least 60% more for their supply than those with unmetered provision despite using less of it, research by the government’s money adviser suggests.
A report by the Money Advice Service found that a family of five in a metered home uses 182,000 litres of water a year. Southern Water, cited by the report, would charge such a household £726 annually for water and sewerage.
However, a similar family living in a four-bedroom home with no meter in the Thames Water area would, according to the report, typically pay just £379. Those in unmetered homes often use far more: each person uses 162 litres a day, according to the industry body Water UK.