Labour leadership

Sky News reports the backing for Jeremy Corbyn from numerous economists

Dozens of UK economists – including a former Bank of England adviser – have indicated they are publicly backing the policies of Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn.

In a significant boost to Mr Corbyn’s campaign, more than 40 economists have reportedly added their signatures to a letter in the Observer dismissing claims the Islington North MP is “extreme”.

Instead, they argue that Mr Corbyn’s opposition to austerity is “actually mainstream economics”.

Danny Blanchflower, a former member of the monetary policy committee, is said to be among the signatories.

The Guardian has a similar story.

Jeremy Corbyn’s economic policies have received the backing of more than 40 leading economists.

More than 40 leading economists, including a former adviser to the Bank of England, have made public their support for Jeremy Corbyn’s policies, dismissing claims that they are extreme, in a major boost to the leftwinger’s campaign to be leader.

The intervention comes as the Corbyn campaign reveals that a Labour government led by the MP for Islington North would reserve the right torenationalise Royal Bank of Scotland and other public assets, “with either no compensation or with any undervaluation deducted from any compensation for renationalisation” if they are sold at a knockdown price over the next five years.

The leftwinger’s economic policies – dubbed Corbynomics – have come under sustained attack in recent days, including by members of his own party, withAndy Burnham warning his party in an interview with this paper not to forget the lessons of the general election about the importance of economic credibility.

But with just under three weeks until Ed Miliband’s replacement is announced, Corbyn’s credibility receives a welcome endorsement as 41 economists make public a letter defending his positions.

Sky also reports and urgent Labour meeting over ‘infiltration’ from Conservatives.

Labour’s leadership contenders will reportedly meet senior party figures to demand infiltrators are weeded out ahead of next month’s vote.

At an emergency meeting on Tuesday, Jeremy Corbyn’s opponents are expected to call for better vetting following claims of “entryism” by political opponents paying £3 to become registered Labour supporters – giving them a vote in the poll.

More than 120,000 people have signed up as supporters, along with more than 189,000 members of unions and other affiliates, swelling the electorate to more than 600,000.

Andy Burnham’s campaign argues the process could leave the result open to legal challenge because thousands of Conservatives may have signed up to vote.

His campaign chief, Michael Dugher, has written to Labour general secretary Iain McNichol warning the party was “allowing the issue to drift, and potentially leaving insufficient time for the party to act”.

The Express quotes former Labour leader Ed Miliband’s claims Labour flopped because he ‘wasn’t leftie ENOUGH’

ED MILIBAND has reportedly claimed he was trounced in the General Election because he was not left-wing enough.

According to sources, the gaffe-prone ex-Labour leader wishes he had been “much bolder” – despite millions of voters rejecting his leftie policies in favour of the Conservatives.

The revelation comes after the rise of socialist firebrand Jeremy Corbyn, who is set to replace Mr Miliband as leader next month.

Mr Miliband, dubbed ‘Red Ed’, was recently snapped sporting a Corbyn-style beard on holiday in Australia but has not backed any candidate publicly.

Now he has apparently told senior Labour figures he would have probably become Prime Minister had the party shifted even further to the left.

One insider said said: “Ed’s convinced himself he could have won in May had we not kept steering him back to the centre ground.

“He believes that what’s happening with Jeremy proves his point – that he should have been more radical.

“However, he’s only kidding himself. We would have lost by an even bigger margin if he’d stood on that agenda.”

The Independent reports a comment from Andy Burnham who claims he will bring Ed Miliband into his team if elected leader

Ed Miliband could make a swift return to frontline politics if Andy Burnham wins the Labour leadership race, the shadow Health Secretary has revealed. Mr Burnham told The Independent on Sunday he would “certainly” talk to Mr Miliband about joining his shadow Cabinet, should he beat veteran left-winger Jeremy Corbyn next month.

In a wide-ranging interview, the 45-year-old, who was the frontrunner until Mr Corbyn unexpectedly set the race alight, said:

  • His shadow Cabinet “would be as one” in campaigning to stay in the EU in the in/out referendum – which would almost certainly result in Mr Corbyn being excluded from his frontbench;

Brexit

The Telegraph claims a former Labour minister is advising Jean-Claude Juncker and his team on their communications strategy and an effort to stop Britain leaving the EU.

Peter Mandelson has secretly been advising the European Commission on how to stop Britain leaving the EU, documents obtained by the Telegraph have disclosed.

The Commission took up an offer by the former Labour minister to provide communications advice in the run-up to the referendum on Britain’s membership of the union.

Letters seen by this newspaper show the peer has been liaising with Martin Selmayr, the chief of staff for Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission.

In November 2014, two months after meeting Mr Selmayr in Brussels, Lord Mandelson wrote: “You mentioned you would welcome input from me as you develop the Commission’s communications capabilities, particularly (but not only) with the UK audience in mind.”

He said he would “of course be very happy to follow up on this”, both “personally” and as joint president of British Influence, a campaign founded last year to keep Britain in the EU.

Kids Company

The Express report the charity Kids Company splurged taxpayers’ cash to help migrants stay in Britain

CONTROVERSIAL charity Kids Company reportedly spent tens of thousands of pounds of taxpayers’ money to help immigrants stay in Britain.

The scandal-hit organisation helped 125 people with “immigration issues” between March 2011 and March 2013, it was revealed last night.

This help included paying legal bills and providing advice from the charity’s lawyers.

It can cost as much as £800 to submit immigration applications to the Home Office, which the charity admitted paying “on behalf of the family.

45 of the 125 migrants had “successfully” claimed legal status in Britain, according to a report published in 2013 to help justify the charity’s Goverment grant.

The other 80 were “working on this with our immigration specialist services”, the report added.

Over the same period the charity bought 184 passports for clients to help “improve access to employment”.

Kids Company also gave “ongoing help” to 100 others to help them obtain passports.

The Mail reports the same.

Kids Company spent tens of thousands of pounds of public money helping immigrants to remain in the country and claim benefits.

The scandal-hit charity also arranged for one of its clients to have private sex-change surgery, and has doled out more than £60,000 in ‘support’ to an Oxford University graduate over the past two years.

Our latest disclosures come as the Charity Commission announced an investigation into how Camila Batmanghelidjh’s organisation spent millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money.

The move follows weeks of revelations in this newspaper, including how Ms Batmanghelidjh had a ‘personal private swimming pool’ in a £5,000-a-month mansion paid for from the charity’s funds.

Details of its role in helping immigrants are contained in a private report, which the charity wrote to justify its activities to Ministers after receiving a £9.58million Government grant.

The 207-page report, written in 2013, states that between March 2011 and March 2013 the charity helped 125 people with ‘immigration issues’ by paying legal bills and providing advice from the charity’s lawyers. It stated: ‘Of these, 45 have successfully achieved a legal and satisfactory status with the help of Kids Company, while 80 are working on this with our immigration specialist services.’

The report explains Kids Company helped them because ‘young people over 18 without appropriate legal status are not only ineligible to apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance or housing benefit, but are also unable to work legally’.

It adds: ‘Our legal department tried to find the best route to secure an individual’s status. This can mean submitting applications to the Home Office (some of which cost as much as £800 per person), which we pay on behalf of the family.

‘Once an application has been submitted and accepted, then the individual, if they have young children, is eligible for local authority support.’

And Breitbart reports that the Charity Commission has opened a statutory inquiry into the charity

The inquiry will address concerns about the administration, governance and financial management of Kids Company and identify wider lessons for other charities and trustees.

A statement released on Friday night by the commission outlined the terms of the inquiry. It said, in part:

‘In light of the intense public scrutiny and speculation over the charity’s activities, and the increasing number of allegations in the public domain about its governance and financial management, the commission has now formalised its engagement in a statutory inquiry in order to investigate and put on the public record whether or not these allegations are found to be true. This is in line with the regulator’s duty to promote public trust and confidence in charities.’

The announcement came just hours after a separate investigation revealed Kids Company, founded by Camila Batmanghelidjh, hugely exaggerated the number of high-risk young people it was helping. The failed charity publicly claimed to be helping 16,000 high-risk people, but new claims reveal the number may be lower than 500.

Chilcot

The Mail claims the White House has failed to hand over files needed by the enquiry over Iraq.

One grieving father, already angered by the failure of Sir John Chilcot to publish his report into the Iraq War more than six years after starting his inquiry, said the Americans should lift the ‘veil of secrecy’ to expose how ‘we were led to war based on lies and deceit’.

Last night, a Chilcot Inquiry source refused to confirm or deny whether Sir John had studied the newly classified US documents, except to say his report ‘only covered the UK Government’s involvement’.

Sir John is coming under increasing pressure to publish his findings, which are not likely to be completed until next year at the earliest. After David Cameron said on Friday that he found the delay ‘frustrating’, inquiry sources indicated Sir John would break his silence this week to tell the dead soldiers’ families that he understands their ‘anguish’.

Immigration

Breitbart reports that fears over the level of immigration in Britain have hit their highest ever level.

Voter concern has been revealed in a damning new survey that also highlights unfettered immigration levels overtaking the NHS and the economy as the major issue for 33 per cent of voters.

In total, almost half of all those polled cited immigration as among the most important issues facing Britain.  That is the highest recorded score for any issue in over two years, since 51 per cent mentioned the economy in July 2013, according to the latest Economist Ipsos MORI issues index.

As Breitbart London has reported, thousands of migrants have travelled across Europe to Calais from North Africa this summer before attempting to storm vehicles bound for Britain. Their sheer numbers have put unprecedented stress on support networks across Europe. All this despite the UK government’s expensive security measures to help ease the carnage in the port town.

Natacha Bouchart, the Calais mayor, recently blamed the UK’s lax asylum system for the migrant crisis. She sees an ‘uninterested’ Britain as a ‘soft touch’ for illegal immigrants who are drawn to a benefits culture of almost limitless capacity.

The Mail claims border officials now have the power to force migrants to give their fingerprints.

Ministers have backed the use of force to take fingerprints from migrants to stop them arriving in poor European countries then trying to claim asylum in richer ones.

The Home Office agrees ‘coercion’ can be used by border officials trying to track refugees crossing the Mediterranean.

Britain is supporting the tough line proposed by the EU because growing numbers of migrants are refusing to be fingerprinted when they arrive in Greece and Italy.

They know that if their details are taken and later checked while they are trying to reach Britain, they can be returned to the country where they landed to claim asylum there.

It is hoped that fewer migrants will be able to gather in the makeshift camp in Calais if more of their fingerprints are stored on the Europe-wide database, known as Eurodac.

Immigration Minister James Brokenshire wrote in a recent letter to Parliaments’ EU committees: ‘Over the last year it became apparent that certain nationalities (Syrians and Eritreans) were refusing to comply with fingerprinting procedures.

‘This cannot go unchallenged: we agree with the [European] Commission that individuals must be given the opportunity to understand that non-compliance will have consequences.’

And Breitbart claims Germans want more refugees to come, according to a new social attitudes survey.

The so-called political barometer, commissioned by Der Tagespiegel, reveals the scale of popular support for Angela Merkel’s government policy of opening the borders of Germany to all. The nation is already the largest importer of human beings in Europe, and despiteoverwhelmed public services and rising violence around immigrant communities many Germans want more.

The survey is well timed, having come just days after the federal government made the shock announcement they were revising their immigrant estimates for 2015, as significantly more people flooded into the country than expected. That 60 per cent of Germans thought the country could take more asylum seekers as the official estimate for the year rose from 450,000 to 800,000 shows the strength of conviction.

The results may come as a surprise to some though, as opposition and support for the mass immigration agenda appears to be divided less by social class or education, but by locality. East German states like Saxony and cities like Berlin, Leipzig and Dresden are emerging as the least open to immigration and this political barometer bears out these perceptions.

The research found those in East Germany were most likely to oppose the idea of taking more asylum seekers, with roughly half saying there were already too many. Easterners were also more likely to think that Germany didn’t need to import more humans to ensure the nation remained viable.

‘Jihadi John’

The Express reports the British killer saying he will come back to the UK and kill here.

ISLAMIC State murderer Jihadi John has reportedly vowed to return to Britain with the terror group’s leader – and continue his shocking killing spree.

Newly released footage shows a man believed to be the notorious fanatic, who was unmasked as Londoner Mohammed Emwazi in February.

In the chilling one-minute video, he turns to the camera and warns: “I will carry on cutting heads.”

And sources have revealed that Emwazi plans to return to Britain and continue his sick killing spree by beheading non-believers.

It was apparently filmed on a mobile phone earlier this summer in Deir Ezzor, an ISIS-held town in south-east Syria.

Jihadi John is believed to have brutually beheaded at least seven hostages in Syria, including two Britons.

He was reportedly filmed killing David Haines and Alan Henning, both aid workers, last September and last October.

The 26-year-old last appeared in a sickening ISIS propaganda video in February – apparently beheading Japanese journalist Kenji Goto.

The Mail has a similar story.

Swaggering in the desert and glowering menacingly at the camera, this is believed to be notorious Islamic State murderer Jihadi John – filmed unmasked in Syria for the first time.

In a one-minute 17-second video, the knife-wielding fanatic, who has taken part in the gruesome beheadings of at least seven hostages in Syria, including two Britons, vows to continue ‘cutting heads’.

He then promises a triumphant return to Britain with the terror group’s self-styled leader.

The Mail on Sunday has obtained the first footage of the killer to emerge from Syria since he was identified in February as 27-year-old Londoner Mohammed Emwazi.

He was last seen in a sickening IS video at the end of January, beheading Japanese hostage Kenji Goto.

We understand the latest film was shot on a mobile phone about two months ago near the IS-held town of Deir Ezzor in south-east Syria.

In an eight-second excerpt obtained by this newspaper the camera pans away from a flatbed truck upon which a grenade-launcher is mounted, to reveal a hooded Emwazi in profile.

Swathed in black and wearing a cap under his hood, he then turns and stares directly into the lens before looking away to scan the desert.

British beaches

The Express reports meddling EU bureaucrats will brand popular British beaches ‘UNFIT for swimming’.

SOME of Britain’s best-loved beaches are set to be branded unfit for swimming by meddling Brussels bureaucrats.

Up to 25 beaches identified as ‘at risk’ earlier this year could be blacklisted by European Union officials – even though standards are higher than ever.

Coastal towns which fail to meet the new pass mark will be forced to put up signs advising swimmers to stay out of the water.

It is feared the signs – which have to be “rapidly and easily identifiable” under the EU’s diktak – will harm tourism around the country.

Officials are making last-ditch efforts to raise standards before EU officials carry out tests.

But these efforts could fail because the new regulations judge water quality on a four year-average.

Just two beaches failed to meet the current bathing rules last year, compared to a third of beaches in 1998.

But a further 23 beaches are set to be blacklisted under the stricter new standards.

Malcolm Bell of Visit Cornwall slammed the move, saying warning signs would “give the impression things have got worse when they haven’t – they’ve got better”.

He added: “Next year if people go to a beach and there’s an advisory notice there, the problem is they will think the standard’s gone down.”

The beaches at risk in Cornwall include Porthluney, Porth and Seaton.

A spokesman for the Department for Environment said: “Water quality at our beaches, rivers and lakes is better than it has ever been.

“With more and more families visiting our seaside we are doing everything we can to keep our water cleaner and prepare for tougher new EU targets.

“The new signs will give people the information they need about bathing water quality to help them to make an informed decision about entering the water.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email