Will we get the Brexit we voted for last year? The Telegraph claims we might not.
Tories who voted to stay in the European Union are planning to dilute Brexit by inflicting a series of damaging parliamentary defeats on their own Government.
The Sunday Telegraph has been told by influential Tory MPs that they plan to work with Labour backbenchers to force the Government into Brexit changes.
They plan to target Theresa May’s insistence that “no deal is better than a bad deal” and make the Government prioritise protecting business than controlling immigration.
The Express claims pro-EU Tories are plotting.
CHUKA Umunna and a host of Tory MPs have allegedly been secretly plotting to force Theresa May into accepting a softened Brexit.
The Blairite and leading Tory Eurocentrics reportedly held the secret meetings last week.
According to the reports, the MPs are focused on amending the Great Repeal Bill in the hope that the UK will be able to stay in the customs union and the single market.
The Repeal Bill could be the subject of intense debate in the Commons almost immediately if Mrs May survives Thursday’s vote on the Queen’s Speech.
But the hung parliament means the Prime Minister’s Brexit strategy is subject to intense scrutiny in the Commons by an overwhelming amount of soft Brexit supporters, 176 of whom are Tory MPs and 262 are Labour supporters.
And Breitbart claims a leading LibDem is involved in the talks.
Liberal Democrat leadership hopeful Sir Vince Cable has revealed he is holding informal talks with Tory Remainers to force the Government into a so-called ‘Soft Brexit’.
The 74-year-old was business secretary under the Cameron-Clegg coalition administration but lost his seat in Parliament when the Tories won their small, upset majority in 2015.
He reclaimed it in the June 2017 snap election as former leader Nick Clegg lost his in Sheffield, setting the stage for an unlikely comeback when Clegg’s successor Tim Farron stepped down, citing the incompatibility of the party’s left wing dogma with Christian values.
The Independent claims a soft-Brexiteer could be heading for a top job.
Cross-party moves are afoot to ensure one of the most vocal opponents of hard Brexit is installed in a key position of influence in the House of Commons.
Labour MPs have signalled they will back former Education Secretary Nicky Morgan to be chair of the Treasury Select Committee, amid fears it could instead go to arch-Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg.
The Independent revealed on Saturday how MPs from different parties are also threatening to join forces to defeat Theresa May‘s hard Brexit plans in Commons votes.
The committee chair has a high-profile role scrutinising government economic strategy, with the ability to demand ministers give evidence in public hearings.
The Mail claims a church leader is also piling on the pressure for a soft Brexit.
The Archbishop of Canterbury today adds to the mounting political pressure on embattled Prime Minister Theresa May by calling for her to appoint a cross-party commission to advise her on the Brexit negotiations.
In an article for today’s Mail on Sunday, Justin Welby puts Brexit on a par with the two world wars – when Britain was run by coalitions – and suggests the same spirit of consensual government should be applied to negotiations with Brussels to ‘draw much of the poison from the debate’.
The Church of England’s most senior cleric contrasts the inspiring ‘spirit of Grenfell Tower’ with the divisive ‘zero-sum, winner takes all’ Brexit arguments in Westminster. ‘We need the politicians to find a way of neutralising the temptation to take minor advantage domestically from these great events,’ he writes.
But BBC News claims that even if we have a full Brexit, many free-trade deals will continue.
Free trade deals with developing countries will continue post-Brexit, the government has said.
The UK will maintain an EU deal, which provides 48 countries with duty-free access to Britain for imports.
It means British firms do not pay import tariffs on goods bought from countries such as Bangladesh and Haiti.
International Trade Secretary Liam Fox said Brexit gave the country an opportunity “to step up our commitments to the rest of the world”.
Several of the media report an attack on MPs’ e-mail accounts. The Mail warns of blackmail:
Cyber security experts fear MPs could be blackmailed after Parliament was hit with a ‘sustained and determined cyber attack’.
A foreign state is thought to be responsible for the ‘brute force’ assault on the secure computer system with senior Whitehall sources warning it is ‘inevitable’ that information has been stolen.
It comes amid claims that security was so lax that even a worker in a McDonald’s branch across the road knew the password for Parliament’s WiFi network.
Concerns have also been raised over the management of the system with digital director Rob Greig taking 10 hours to warn MPs of the potential breach.
BBC News also carries the story.
Parliament has been hit by a cyber attack, officials at Westminster say.
The “sustained” hack began on Friday night, prompting officials to disable remote access to the emails of MPs, peers and their staff as a safeguard.
The parliamentary authorities said hackers had mounted a “determined attack” on all user accounts “in an attempt to identify weak passwords”.
Government sources say it appeared the attack has been contained but it will “remain vigilant”.
A parliamentary spokeswoman said they were investigating the attack and liaising with the National Cyber Security Centre.
The Independent claims Lords have also been targeted.
Hackers have targeted Parliament’s email system in an attempt to access the accounts of hundreds of MPs, Lords, aides and staff.
Security services are to shut down access for anyone not in Westminster as part of efforts to secure the network after the allegedly state-sponsored attack.
“The Houses of Parliament have discovered unauthorised attempts to access parliamentary user accounts,” a parliamentary spokesperson told The Independent.
And staff members’ accounts have also been targetted, says the Guardian.
Parliament has been hit by a “sustained and determined” cyber-attack by hackers attempting to gain access to MPs’ and their staffers’ email accounts. Both houses of parliament were targeted on Friday in an attack that sought to gain access to accounts protected by weak passwords.
MPs said they were unable to access their emails after the attack began and cited blackmail as a possible motive. The estate’s digital services team said they had made changes to accounts to block out the hackers, and that the changes could mean staff were unable to access their emails.
MPs can’t now get into their accounts from outside the Houses of Parliament, says the Express.
Parliament has been hit by a “sustained and determined” cyber security attack aimed at gaining access to MPs and staffers email accounts.
Liberal Democrat peer Baron Rennard warned the situation meant parliamentary emails may not be accessed outside Westminster.
He tweeted: “Cyber security attack on Westminster, Parliamentary e.mails may not work remotely [sic].”
The attack follows reports that passwords for MPs and officials were being sold online by hackers.
Some Members of Parliament have used social media to send out warnings, says the Star.
THE Houses of Parliament have reportedly been targeted in a cyber attack designed to give hackers access to MPs’ email accounts.
Officials confirmed hackers had targeted Parliament and they are now working with the National Cyber Security Centre.
Several MPs and Lords – including Liberal Democrat peer Baron Rennard – have taken to social media to raise the alarm.
Dudley MP Ian Austin also posted about his parliamentary emails not working.
ITV News says constituents need to be confident that messages sent to their MPs are secure.
Parliament has been hit by a cyber-security attack in which hackers have tried to access email accounts.
MPs and Lords have been left unable to access their emails remotely as a result of measures taken to stave off the attack.
Tory MP Andrew Bridgen suggested an attack like this could “absolutely” leave some people open to blackmail.
He said it was understandable that “constituents want to know the information they send to us is completely secure.”
Sky News points out that the hackers must have private e-mail addresses available to them.
A cyberattack on MPs and Peers’ emails has prompted Parliament’s security team to shut down external access to its systems.
An email sent to parliamentarians on Friday and shown to Sky News said: “Earlier this morning we discovered unusual activity and evidence of an attempted cyberattack on our computer network.”
It claimed that “hackers were carrying out a sustained and determined attack on all parliamentary user accounts in an attempt to identify weak passwords”.
An attack on all parliamentary user accounts rather than just the publicly listed ones would suggest the attacker had considerable resources to allow them to know the private email addresses used by civil servants.
The repercussions following the terrible fire at Grenfell Towers continue to reverberate.
ITV News claims the number of potentially dangerous high-rise blocks is soaring.
The number of high-rise tower blocks known to be a fire risk rose to 34 last night as the Government revealed every single sample of cladding tested so far has failed the safety checks.
Communities Secretary Sajid Javid announced the latest rise in a statement that added “all samples so far have failed the tests”.
A spokesman for the Government said they had only received a few dozen samples so far – but they were thought to be among the most concerning in terms of fire safety.
However, with some 600 tower blocks thought to be fitted with cladding, it suggests that the number of blocks at a fire risk will rise further in the coming days.
And Fox News added that every block tested had been found wanting.
Britain’s fire-safety crisis expanded substantially Saturday as authorities said 34 high-rise apartment blocks across the country had cladding that failed fire safety tests. London officials scrambled to evacuate four public housing towers after experts found them “not safe for people to sleep in overnight.”
Hundreds of residents hastily packed their bags and sought emergency shelter, with many angry and confused about the chaotic situation. Some refused to leave their high-rise apartments. Scores of evacuees slept on inflatable beds in a gym while officials sought better accommodations for them.
Camden Council leader Georgia Gould said it decided to evacuate four blocks in north London’s Chalcots Estate late Friday after fire inspectors uncovered problems with “gas insulation and door stops,” which, combined with the presence of flammable cladding encasing the buildings, meant residents had to leave immediately.
The Guardian reports that proposals to reduce the standards of fire safety in schools are to be scrapped.
Controversial government proposals to relax fire safety standards for new school buildings as a cost-cutting measure are to be dropped by ministers in a major policy U-turn following the Grenfell Tower fire.
The move is evidence of a dramatic change of approach across government, from a previous preoccupation with deregulation and cost-saving to a safety-first attitude, in the aftermath of the west London tower block tragedy.
After thousands of people were evacuated amid chaotic scenes from five tower blocks in Camden, London, late on Friday night, Theresa May said the priorities were to find temporary accommodation for those affected and make the buildings safe before people could return.
The Guardian has the story of one family in a tower block.
Ever since the horror of the Grenfell Tower fire less than five miles away, Artan Moallim has barely slept a wink in the 16th-floor, one-bedroom Camden apartment he, his wife and three young daughters call home.
Yet they were still unprepared for the knock on their door at 2am on Saturday morning ahead of the evacuation of thousands of people from five high-rise tower blocks on north London’s Chalcots Estate, and like many others he was still asking questions later in the day outside the community centre where households were being told to register.
“Why did the council leave things so late here? When they knew that there could be a problem, why didn’t they work to make alternative arrangements for people to live if it came to this?” asked Moallim, who had returned in the early hours of Saturday morning from a late shift as a bus driver to find that his family were being asked to leave.
Can Theresa May hang on as Prime Minister or is she fatally weakened by the result of the General Election? The Express reports on a possible successor.
DAVID Davis has reportedly been encouraged to stand for Prime Minister by a host of Tory MPs and a secret meeting in the wake of Theresa May’s election disaster.
After the Prime Minister failed to hold onto the Conservatives’ parliamentary majority, the Brexit Secretary has been widely touted as a possible replacement for Mrs May amid rumours of a secret leadership battle.
Now, sources have told the Mail on Sunday that Tory MP Sir Desmond Swayne was applauded by colleagues when he said Mr Davis should succeed Mrs May as Prime Minister, claiming he “could not think of a better leader” than the Brexit Secretary.
And the Express also claims another name is being touted.
PHILIP Hammond is facing mounting pressure from fellow MPs to replace Theresa May as Prime Minister and steer Britain through Brexit talks, according to reports.
MPs have reportedly said the Chancellor should take over as Prime Minister before the Tory party conference in October, but only as a caretaker leader.
The ministers will reportedly ensure he only assumes the role for two years, so someone else can lead the party into the next election.
A former cabinet colleague told the Sunday Times that the Chancellor himself believes he is equipped to do the job.
The Independent has a warning on hospital staffing.
Nurses are warning Theresa May that dire staffing shortages have left the NHS on the brink of another Mid Staffs hospital scandal, putting hundreds of lives at risk.
Royal College of Nursing chief executive Janet Davies said the Government has failed to respond to clear and alarming signals that the tragedy she called “inevitable” is about to happen again.
In an exclusive interview with The Independent, Ms Davies pointed to a perfect storm of collapsing foreign arrivals in the profession due to Brexit, plummeting domestic applications, and chronic low pay and high stress pushing people out.
It seems foreign terrorists are using human rights laws to avoid deportation, says the Telegraph.
More than 40 foreign terrorists have used human rights laws to remain in the UK, according to an unpublished report delayed by the Home Office.
The study highlights the near insurmountable problem for the Government in deporting dangerous jihadists and follows a series of Islamic State-inspired attacks in the UK.
In the court cases, lawyers – typically funded through legal aid – have successfully prevented foreign-born terror suspects from being sent back to their home countries.
Pictures of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn at Glastonbury prompted the Express to report he snubbed Armed Forces Day.
JEREMY Corbyn snubbed war veterans to grandstand at Glastonbury yesterday, despite receiving a personal invitation from a former soldier to mark Armed Forces Day.
While Prime Minister Theresa May was praising the “tremendous” work of the military at a special event in Liverpool, the Labour leader chose to attend the music festival in Somerset where he proudly declared his support for the “peace movement”.
Former Army officer James Heappey, Tory MP for Wells, had invited 68-year-old Mr Corbyn to a military parade at Burnham-on-Sea just 15 miles from the 900-acre site in Pilton, Somerset, but he failed to turn up.
Breitbart has the same story.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has chosen to miss Armed Forces Day Celebrations so he can appear at Glastonbury Music Festival.
On Friday night, ahead of the far-left leader’s appearance on the main stage at 4:30 pm on Saturday, crowds at the largely middle-class event in the Somerset countryside spontaneous burst out into pro-Corbyn chants.
During the headline set by band Radiohead, tens of thousands of revelers chanted “Oh, Jeremy Corbyn!” to the tune of the song Seven Nation Army by the band The White Stripes.
And Reuters claims his reception was like a ‘rock star’.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn got a rock star reception at Glastonbury Festival on Saturday, telling a headliner-sized crowd that millions of young people who voted for him would not be silenced or sidelined.
Dismissed as a left-wing no-hoper before elections on June 8, Corbyn attracted a surge of support from 18-24 year-olds that helped his Labour Party deny Prime Minister Theresa May a parliamentary majority.
The 68-year old’s popularity at Worthy Farm in south-west England could be measured by the number of pro-Corbyn banners on display and Corbyn T-shirts.
With the end of Ramadan this weekend, the Star reports a warning by ISIS that it hasn’t finished trying to kill us yet.
ISIS has fired Brits a chilling warning to “expect us” this weekend as it vows to “go out in a blaze of glory” and end Ramadan with a terror spectacular.
The terror group’s hijacking of the holy month has left at least 300 people dead in a 30-day slaughtering rampage across the globe.
But as Ramadan draws to a close today, ISIS has warned it plans to mark its close with calls for a ‘final push’ of terror attacks across the West to “liquify blood”.
And with high profile events across Britain this weekend including Glastonbury Festival, Royal Ascot and Armed Forces Day, cops are on high alert. In a chilling message to ISIS ‘fighters and lone wolves’ posted just last night, pro-Islamic State Nashir News Agency warned: “O crusaders, your governments are the cause of your bleeding.