Labour leadership

Following the re-election of Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader, several of the media cover the various aspects of the election.

Breitbart reports:

Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn has seen off his opponent in a leadership contest, increasing his share of the vote to 61.8 per cent.
The hard-left parliamentarian and long-time back bencher-turned party leader defeated Owen Smith who took 193,229 votes from Labour party members, to the victor’s 313,209.
67 year old Mr. Corbyn became Labour party leader last year with 59.5 per cent, a surprise result given Mr. Corbyn’s starting position as an outsider with no history of front-bench politics. Opponents of Mr. Corbyn’s hard-left political platform mounted an attempted coup, triggering a fresh leadership race less than a year after Corbyn first won.

BBC News points out that Corbyn gained more votes than previously.

So Jeremy Corbyn has been re-elected as Labour’s leader with a larger mandate than a year ago.
There was plenty of talk from the leader and his supporters ahead of the result of “coming together” after a second bruising campaign.
He even provided proof on BBC TV that he was growing a diminutive olive tree outside his office – the presumed purpose of which is to break off a branch and proffer it to his internal opponents.
But some of the MPs who voted for a motion of no confidence in him believe that those around the leader will only sue for peace on their terms.
Jeremy Corbyn – with a strong interest in the politics of the Middle East – will be familiar with the speech of the late PLO leader Yasser Arafaf to the UN general assembly in 1974 when he said he came bearing an olive branch in one hand and a freedom fighter’s gun in the other.

Sky News calls it a ‘landslide’ but reports a possible split in the party.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has warned of a Labour party split following Jeremy Corbyn’s landslide win in the leadership election.
Speaking as Labour’s annual conference opened in Liverpool, Mr Khan told The Sunday Times: “We know from history – the Gang of Four in the 1980s – that when the Labour Party splits we are out of power for a generation.
“Now it is more serious than that.
“If the Labour Party splits, it could be the end of the Labour Party.”
As Mr Corbyn sought to reach out to disaffected backbenchers following his re-election, one route by which it had been thought that senior moderates could return to his shadow cabinet seemed to be running into the sand.

And the Express claims a Labour MP has called for unity in the party.

A SENIOR Labour MP today made a desperate plea for members to stay in the party following the re-election of Jeremy Corbyn as leader – but it was already too late for some.
A series of disgruntled members this afternoon announced they were ditching Labour after Mr Corbyn and his hard-left allies strengthened their stranglehold on the party’s leadership.
Earlier, it was announced Mr Corbyn had defeated the leadership challenge of Pontypridd MP Owen Smith and even increased his support among Labour’s membership from his initial election victory 12 months ago.
Feltham and Heston MP Seema Malhotra, who quit Labour’s shadow cabinet earlier this year as part of a bid to topple Mr Corbyn, urged members to stay with Labour in spite of her leader’s re-election.

The Mirror concentrates on the voting pattern.

Women overwhelmingly chose Jeremy Corbyn over Owen Smith in the Labour leadership election, an exit poll says.
Far more women (64%) than men (53%) chose Mr Corbyn after Mr Smith made a series of “sexist” gaffes on the campaign trail.
The Pontypridd MP said he wanted to “smash” Theresa May “back on her heels” and was forced to deny making a joke about having a 29-inch penis.
The result comes in an online poll by YouGov for Election Data, which asked just over 1,000 Labour backers how they had actually voted.
It was released today minutes after Mr Corbyn triumphed in a landslide 62% victory – a bigger mandate than he won last year.
In total, 490 women and 529 men were questioned. YouGov guidelines say results from a subset of more than 50 people can be reported.

The Independent reports on a meeting of the party’s executive.

A meeting of Labour’s ruling executive has failed to agree on proposals allowing MPs to elect members of Jeremy’s Corbyn shadow cabinet.
The plan had been touted by some MPs as a potential way for the leader to repair relations within the party, but after the National Executive Committee put them on hold one senior Labour figure said “it doesn’t look good for them”.
Others claimed there could still be hope for the proposals, which leading moderate MPs urged Mr Corbyn to adopt after his convincing leadership contest victory.
The plan, proposed by deputy leader Tom Watson, would have seen MPs given a say on who from among their ranks would sit with Mr Corbyn in the shadow cabinet.

 

Brexit

Once again, the former chancellor has warned the Prime Minister about her Brexit negotiations, says the Guardian.

George Osborne has warned Theresa May against pursuing a “hard Brexit” that would see the UK drifting away from cooperation with the rest of Europe. The former chancellor made the remarks at a speech in Chicago in a sign that he intends to continue to play a role in the political debate about leaving the EU.
Osborne, who campaigned strongly to remain, argued that it was unwise for politicians to claim the UK had a stronger hand in negotiations than the EU. “I find some of the take-it-or-leave-it bravado we hear from those who assume Europe has no option but to give us everything we want more than a little naive,” he told the Chicago Council on Global Affairs.
We need to be realistic that this is a two-way relationship – that Britain cannot expect to maintain all the benefits that came from EU membership without incurring any of the costs or the obligations.”

And several of the media report parts of a book written by the former Prime minister. BBC News says:

Former PM David Cameron felt “badly let down” by Theresa May during the EU referendum campaign, his former director of communications has said.
Sir Craig Oliver, a former key aide to Mr Cameron, said the then home secretary Mrs May failed to back the Remain campaign 13 times and was regarded by some as “an enemy agent”.
He also said Boris Johnson believed the Leave campaign would be “crushed”.
Neither Downing Street nor the foreign secretary have responded to the claims.
The claims are made in a new book – Unleashing Demons: The Inside Story Of Brexit – serialised in the Mail on Sunday.
Sir Craig said Mr Cameron briefly considered staying on as prime minister, despite losing the referendum.
However, he said he decided against it, saying he feared remaining in Downing Street would have left him “being prepared for the slaughterhouse”.

And the Mail reports:

Cameron considered clinging to power after losing the historic vote, but decided against it because it would leave him ‘being prepared for the slaughterhouse’.
He begged her to ‘come off the fence’ over Brexit – but she refused so often that one of Cameron’s allies questioned if she was secretly ‘an enemy agent’.
Another accused her of leaving Cameron to ‘fight alone’. No 10 became so fed up with her habit of disappearing when Cameron needed her that they nicknamed her ‘Submarine May’.
The bombshell disclosures come in a new book by Cameron’s Downing Street director of communications, Sir Craig Oliver. It reveals how Boris Johnson, now Foreign Secretary, reassured Cameron in a secret text that Brexit would be ‘crushed’ – nine minutes before putting himself at the head of the Leave campaign.
Twenty-four hours earlier, ‘depressed’ Johnson had sent another message which convinced Cameron he was about to ‘flip-flop’ and back the Remain camp.


Junior doctors

The doctors have ditched plans for further strikes, reports Reuters.

A union representing British doctors on Saturday called off a series of strikes scheduled for the next three months, citing concerns about patient safety.
The British Medical Association (BMA) had planned a full withdrawal of labour by junior doctors on Oct. 5-7 and 10-11, Nov. 14-18 and Dec. 5-9, which would have been the longest stoppages in the nearly 70-year history of the National Health Service.
Junior doctors – a term covering recent medical school graduates right through to doctors who have been working for well over a decade – have staged a series of walkouts over a new work contract the government plans to impose next month.
The BMA said its decision to suspend the action follows feedback from doctors, patients and the public, and discussions with NHS England about the ability of the NHS to maintain a safe service if industrial action were to go ahead.

ITV News also reports the doctors’ decision.

The British Medical Association (BMA) has suspended further junior doctor industrial action in England after concerns about patient safety.
The strikes had been scheduled for October 5, 6, 7, 10 and 11, November 14 to 18 and December 5 to 9.
The organisation said it reached the decision following feedback from doctors, patients and the public, and discussions with NHS England about the ability of the NHS to maintain a safe service if industrial action planned from October to December were to go ahead.
Dr Ellen McCourt, the chair of the BMA junior doctor committee, told ITV News that while junior doctors continued to reject the new contracts, concerns about patient safety had led them to cancel the planned strikes.

The Mail says the decision was made in the interests of patient safety.

Junior doctors have called off plans to hold a series of five-day strikes, after concerns about patient safety.
The British Medical Association (BMA) announced that it has suspended industrial action which had been planned for October, November and December, following ‘vigorous, passionate and thoughtful’ debate today.
News of the suspension was welcomed by the Department of Health, which urged the BMA to call off industrial action permanently in the interests of patients.
The strikes had been scheduled for October 5, 6, 7, 10 and 11, November 14 to 18 and December 5 to 9.
Dr Ellen McCourt, chair of the BMA junior doctors committee, said the decision had been taken ‘in light of feedback from doctors, patients and the public, and following a passionate, thoughtful and wide-ranging debate amongst junior doctors’.

 

UKIP

So which party is now the official opposition in Parliament? The Express reports the LibDem leader’s comments.

LIBERAL DEMOCRAT leader Tim Farron has been mocked after he today claimed his anti-Brexit party are now the “real opposition” following Jeremy Corbyn’s re-election as Labour leader.
In the wake of Mr Corbyn’s overwhelming victory in the Labour leadership contest, Mr Farron was quick to condemn the “ineffectual” left-winger and called on disgruntled Labour members to join his party.
The Lib Dem leader, who has pledged to halt Brexit despite Britain’s historic vote to quit the EU, declared only his party could now represent a viable alternative to the Tory Government.
Mr Farron said: “This is a case of things can only get worse. Jeremy Corbyn has failed as opposition leader and failed to stand up for Britain’s place in Europe.
He is now not backing our membership of the single market despite the damage leaving would do to our economy and the threat it poses to jobs.

Refugees

Where will the thousands of so-called refugees now living in the Jungle in Calais be relocated? Breitbart reports the French president’s comments.

President Francois Hollande says he hopes authorities can relocate as many as 9,000 migrants massed in a squalid camp in Calais to reception centers across France in the coming weeks.
Hollande, visiting one of France’s 164 such reception centers in the city of Tours on Saturday, reiterated his pledge to shut the Calais camp, known as “the jungle.”
He said conditions there are “not acceptable,” especially for those fleeing war. The camp has become a symbol of his government’s failure to tackle Europe’s migrant crisis.
The reception centers will hold 40-50 people for up to four months, Hollande said, as their cases are examined. Migrants who don’t seek asylum will be deported. Many local conservative politicians have resisted the centers.
Hollande is scheduled to visit Calais on Monday.

And the Star claims they could come to the UK.

FRENCH President Francois Hollande has announced plans to tear down the Calais Jungle – sparking fears Britain could be hit by a massive supercamp in its place.
Hollande today set out detailed proposals to deal with the camp across the Channel – stating that migrants would be given up to four months before they will have to seek asylum or move elsewhere.
It will be shut “within weeks” and migrants moved to reception centres – which can hold 40 to 50 – for no more than four months.
He said: “There should be no camp in France.
“France is not a country where there should be camps of migrants.
“France is a country of law, rules the country, we must be firm on immigration issues.”
The Calais Jungle has become a poignant symbol of Europe’s failure to cope with the crisis unfolding from Africa and the Middle East.

The Mail also reports Hollande’s comments.

French president Francois Hollande has vowed to dismantle the ‘Jungle’ in Calais and relocate the 9,000 migrants to reception centres across the country.
Mr Hollande said conditions in the Calais camp were ‘not acceptable’ and ‘extremely difficult’, especially for those who fled war to get there.
Mr Hollande, who will visit the camp on Monday, insisted that ‘we cannot have such camps in France’.
He said his country must show it is ‘capable of being dignified, humane and responsible.’
The ‘Jungle’ has become a symbol of his government’s failure to tackle Europe’s migrant crisis, and a target of criticism from conservative and far-right rivals seeking to unseat him in France’s presidential election next year.
The reception centres will hold 40-50 people for up to four months while authorities study their cases individually, he said.
Migrants who do not seek asylum will be deported.

And Breitbart claims the Hungarian Prime Minister said a refugee camp should be set up in Libya.

The European Union should set up a “giant refugee city” on the Libyan coast and process asylum claims from refugees arriving from Africa there with the help of a new Libyan government, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban proposed on Saturday.
Speaking in Vienna after a summit of European and Balkans countries on the refugee crisis, Orban said the European Union’s external borders should be under “total control” – including the Mediterranean border, in which Libya is instrumental.
Libya’s unity should be preserved, the Western arms embargo against it cancelled, the “Libyan liberation army” supported and a new Libyan government set up and brought into a cooperation agreement by the time migration picks up again next spring in the Mediterranean, he said.

 

EU

Who will be next to leave the EU? Asks the Express.

AFTER the landmark Brexit victory, calls are mounting for Italy to hold its own EU referendum. Could Italy be next to leave?
Some anti-EU voices are campaigning for an Italian exit – or Italexit – as the country prepares for a historic referendum on constitutional reform .
The Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has promised to resign if the reforms do not go through, which could pave the way for the Eurosceptic Five Star Movement (M5S) to seize power.
Founded by radical comedian Beppe Grillo, the right-wing M5S party has rallied against the crumbling euro and has demanded a repeal of EU interference in Italy.
But despite being a harsh critic of the bloc, the party is not currently backing calls for a referendum on EU membership.
Instead, it is campaigning for Brussels drop its federalist aspirations and return to its original vision of a European community.
After the Brexit vote, M5S said: “We want a Europe which is a ‘community’ and not a union of banks and lobbies.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email