Wages are rising at the fastest rate for 20 months following the UK’s historic Brexit vote, apparently thanks to a combination of some EU nationals returning home and a fall in the number of job applicants. New figures from the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) show the starting salary for permanent workers is increasing. REC Chief Executive Kevin Green said: “Starting salaries are also still rising, so for workers who want to boost their earnings now is a good time to consider moving job.” He went on: “It’s clear that employers are having to work even harder to fill jobs as vacancies rise and candidate availability shrinks.”
THE idea that Britain should pay Brussels tens of billions of pounds in a “divorce bill” to get out of the European Union was branded “barmy” by a senior Conservative MP. Brexit-backing former Environment Secretary Owen Paterson added that he could see a case for the EU returning some of Britain’s cash given over the last 40 years. His comments follow claims Theresa May would be ready to pay up to £36 billion over the next few years in exchange for a comprehensive free trade deal with Brussels. Downing Street has played down that speculation. The Daily Express revealed the Government is considering handing over a sum nearer to £10billion as a “goodwill” payment to plug a hole the EU would otherwise have in its budget for the year following Britain’s expected departure from the bloc in 2019.
A LEADING Leave campaigner has called the £36billion Brexit divorce bill “frankly barmy” and said there is a very good case for the EU to give Britain money back when we leave. The former environment secretary Owen Paterson said he would be “most surprised” if the UK ended up handing over tens of billions of pounds to Brussels. Reports on Sunday suggested Theresa May was willing to sign a cheque for €40billion in order to strike a free trade agreement with Brussels. It sparked anger amongst Brexiteers, who rejected the bill and insisted we should not pay anything. But So far Downing Street has sought to play down speculation the Prime Minister would be prepared to pay such a figure, calling it “inaccurate speculation”.
Westmonster (by David Kurten)
That Europhiles in the Tory government are trying to give a payment of £36 billion to the EU in order to start negotiations is virtually criminal, and it is preposterous for the EU to demand it. This amount is equivalent to 1.5 million annual salaries of hard working British people. No one has right to treat the British people with such contempt and throw our hard-earned money down the drain. In fact, there is no need for the UK to pay any bill at all to leave the EU. The UK is leaving a burgeoning superstate and taking back control of our sovereignty. It is not a divorce as is often cited by opponents of Brexit in order to justify a payment.
Theresa May will mark her return to Downing Street next week by stepping up her Brexit efforts, amid criticism that the UK is woefully underprepared for talks with the EU. The Government is to start publishing a series of Brexit position papers ahead to the next round of talks at the end of August in a bid to show she is “getting on with the job” and unify her divided Cabinet around a collective position. Senior Government sources have told Sky News that a number of position papers have been sent to Cabinet ministers for sign off as No 10 prepares to publish the documents outlining its stance on some of the most pressing Brexit matters.
The European Union’s most senior judge has proposed using the European Free Trade Association (Efta) court in a Norway-style sovereignty compromise after Brexit. The court oversees access and membership to the single market for non-EU members Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland within the framework of EU rulings and European law. In a move to broker a compromise for Brexit talks this summer, Koen Lenaerts, the Belgian president of the European Court of Justice (ECJ), has suggested that the Efta court could be a model for Britain when it leaves the EU. “We don’t need to reinvent everything; like the wheel, it exists.
GREEK politicians are angling for the Elgin Marbles to be returned to Athens as part of Brexit talks. MEP Stelios Kouloglou, a part of the governing Syriza party, is demanding that negotiators bring up the issue as part of discussions. The marbles, or Parthenon Sculptures, which are currently held in the British museum, have a long and complex history. They were built nearly 2,500 years ago as a temple dedicated to the Greek goddess Athena, but suffered destruction and damage at multiple dates in its history. In the 1800s the British ambassador, under apparent agreement with the Ottoman authorities, removed around half of the sculptures from the ruins and took them to Britain, but many in Greece have accused them of being stolen.
The possibility of releasing new powers to Holyrood after Brexit will be discussed in talks between the UK and Scottish ministers later. First Secretary of State Damian Green will meet Deputy First Minister John Swinney and Scotland’s Brexit Minister Michael Russell in Edinburgh. The Scottish government has warned of a Westminster “power grab” over fishing, farming and the environment. UK ministers insist many new powers will be given to Scotland. Scottish Secretary David Mundell, who will also attend the talks, has previously spoken of a powers “bonanza” for Holyrood. Under the UK government’s Repeal Bill, EU law repatriated from Brussels would go to Westminster in the first instance. Ahead of Wednesday’s talks, Mr Green said a common UK-wide approach would be necessary in some areas.
Britain’s most senior judge has warned ministers that they must provide much clearer guidance on interpreting European legislation after Brexit or risk judges “making the law” for them. In a tacit attack on the government’s plans to incorporate EU legislation into UK law, the president of the Supreme Court, Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury, said it was still unclear what weight rulings by the European Court of Justice would have after Brexit. He added that unless ministers clarified the situation judges would just have to “do their best” and it would be “unfair” to blame them for taking decisions that the government disagreed with.
The most senior judge in the UK has warned of confusion in the courts because of a lack of clarity over how they should treat EU law after Brexit. Lord Neuberger said the Government must give greater certainty over how judges should treat rulings from the European Court of Justice. The President of the Supreme Court said ministers risk creating a situation in which judges are blamed for “making up the law” because Parliament failed to. It comes as Theresa May is expected to set out a series of positioning papers over the summer, with the first expected as early as next week on future customs arrangements. Ministers have made clear that the ECJ’s jurisdiction will end after Brexit, but have also said UK judges should continue to interpret the European Court’s case law.
The government must provide clarity on whether it wants UK courts to take into account rulings of the European court of justice after Brexit, one of Britain’s most senior judges has said. Judges have been told they will no longer be forced to do so, but can if they think it appropriate. However, the president of the supreme court, Lord Neuberger, called on the government to state its position explicitly. “If [the government] doesn’t express clearly what the judges should do about decisions of the ECJ after Brexit, or indeed any other topic after Brexit, then the judges will simply have to do their best,” he told the BBC. “But to blame the judges for making the law when parliament has failed to do so would be unfair.”
Britain’s top judge has indicated the Government is in a muddle on Brexit and warned courts need clarity about where they stand after we leave the EU. Lord Neuberger, the head of the Supreme Court, urged Ministers to “be clear” about the role of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) after Brexit. “If (the Government) doesn’t express clearly what the judges should do about decisions of the ECJ after Brexit, then the judges will simply have to do their best,” he warned. His outspoken comments were backed by the Tories’ former Attorney General Dominic Grieve, who said: “He is absolutely right. “The legislation for our withdrawal from the EU leaves very unclear what the relationship between European courts and our own courts should be.”
BRUSSELS is facing a bill of up to £10 million for severance payments due to British staff it will have to sack when it moves two London-based EU agencies to the continent. Eurocrats will have to lay off around 72 UK nationals working at the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and the European Banking Authority (EBA) because it can only employ people from member states. It is estimated that, thanks to the highly generous contract terms doled about by EU officials, doing so could eventually cost the bloc anywhere between £4.5 million and £10 million. However, controversially it is only British employees who will receive the severance payments with their EU colleagues having to go without if they choose to quit their jobs and remain in London.
REMAIN campaigners are preparing a fresh legal challenge over Theresa May’s ability to take Britain out of the Single Market without a vote in parliament, according to reports. The europhile drive to keep the UK inside the European Economic Area (EEA) has been handed a substantial boost as it emerged ministers are unclear over the exact procedure for leaving the economic pact. A letter by the former Brexit minister George Bridges, which was written in April but only published last week, shows confusion within Whitehall over whether or not Britain needs to formally terminate its membership. Its contents will provide cheer to Remain campaigners who are preparing to argue in court that Mrs May does not have the legal authority to quit the EEA – possibly by triggering Article 127 – without consulting MPs.
Brexit Secretary David Davis has said he will allow British judges to overrule extradition requests from European countries, in a move that will directly impede on the power of British courts to bring terrorists and other criminals who have committed crimes in Britain back to the UK to face justice. Brexiteers in the Conservative Party are concerned over the possibility of the UK seeking to maintain membership of the European Arrest Warrant (EAW) scheme, the legislation which allowed failed 21/7 London bomber Hussain Osman to be brought back to the UK from Italy to face trial. He is now serving a 40 year minimum sentence in the UK. But the EAW is overseen by the European Court of Justice, the jurisdiction of which both Mr Davis and Theresa May have made clear must come to an end when the UK leaves the EU.
The Government will allow UK judges to overrule extradition requests by European Union nations after Brexit, according to a report. Brexit Secretary David Davis plans to give judges the power to block the extradition of British citizens made under the European Arrest Warrant system, the Daily Telegraph said. The move is aimed at addressing concerns by eurosceptic backbenchers in the Conservative Party, it said. The arrest warrant is valid across the bloc and requires a member state to apprehend and extradite a suspect sought by another member state, in a system overseen by the European Court of Justice.
Migrants have made 30,000 attempts to reach Britain from Calais this year despite costly security measures. The French interior ministry logged 17,867 efforts to break into the fortified zone around the port and Channel Tunnel. Asylum seekers also tried 12,349 times to stow away on UK-bound lorries. The figures come nearly a year after the closure of the notorious Jungle migrant camp in Calais – raising fears of another shantytown springing up there. The French insist only around 350 migrants are in the Calais area yet charities say the true figure is at least twice that. Small groups are sleeping rough in woodland a few hundred yards from the Jungle camp that was once home to 10,000 people.
MIGRANTS have tried to reach Britain 30,000 times from Calais since January, despite The Jungle being cleared almost a year ago. There were 17,867 attempts to break into the fortified zone around the port and Channel Tunnel. A total of 12,349 efforts were also made to stow away on British-bound lorries, French government figures showed. It compares with an estimated 25,000 to 28,000 attempts to breach border security around Calais in the same period last year. The French insist there are only about 350 migrants left in the area but charities say the true figure is double that. Small groups are sleeping rough in woodland a few hundred yards from the site of the now-levelled Jungle camp, which housed 10,000.
Illegal migrants in and around Calais, France, have made at least 17,000 attempts to board lorries or trains or breach the Channel Tunnel in 2017, according to French statistics. The Interior Ministry figures show “that the demolition and closure of the ‘Jungle’ camp in Calais last October has failed in its attempt to stem the flow of migrants”, according to a report by Sky News correspondent Mark Stone. “The migrants haven’t all gone,” notes Stone, who spent four days near the site where the notorious, crime-ridden Calais Jungle used to stand. “[T]hey have just moved into the woods where they quite literally live like animals.”
Over a thousand extra doctors will be trained as part of the “biggest ever” expansion to the NHS’s medical workforce in England, health officials have said. An extra 1,500 doctors a year will be trained in the NHS by 2020 – boosting the current student doctor numbers of 6,000 by 25%, the Department of Health said. An additional 10,000 additional training places for nurses, midwives and allied health professionals are also planned, Health Minister Philip Dunne also confirmed. The extra places will be targeted at under-represented social groups such as lower income students, a Department of Health spokeswoman said. It is hoped that the additional places will also help to address shortages of medics in coastal and rural locations as well as fill gaps in the fields of psychiatry and general practice.
North Korea said it is ‘carefully examining’ a plan to strike the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam with missiles, just hours after President Donald Trump told the country that any threat to the U.S. would be met with ‘fire and fury.’ A spokesman for the Korean People’s Army, in a statement carried by the North’s state-run KCNA news agency, said Wednesday the strike plan will be ‘put into practice in a multi-current and consecutive way any moment’ once leader Kim Jong Un makes a decision. Guam, which is roughly 2,128 miles from North Korea, is home to both Andersen Air Force Base and Naval Base Guam housing thousands of American service members and their families.
Donald Trump has threatened North Korea with “fire and fury like the world has never seen” if the secretive state continues its threats to the US. The US President dramatically ramped up his verbal assault amid claims North Korea has produced a mini nuclear warhead to fit inside its missiles. Arms folded angrily, President Trump said: “North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. “They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen. “He has been very threatening beyond a normal statement. “And as I said, they will be met with fire, fury and frankly power the likes of which this world has never seen before. Thank you.”
North Korea has said it is considering carrying out missile strikes on the US Pacific territory of Guam. It comes hours after President Donald Trump threatened North Korea with “fire and fury like the world has never seen” if it escalates its nuclear threat. The Korean People’s Army said the strike on Guam could be delivered “at any moment” once Kim Jong-Un gives it the go ahead. It is considering firing medium to long-range ballistic missiles to create an “enveloping fire” to contain US air bases on the island. Guam is home to America’s Andersen Air Force Base and seen by North Korea as a “beachhead” for a potential US invasion.
DONALD Trump launched supersonic B-1B bombers from Guam airbase and warned “America WILL be defended” as North Korea threatened to attack the US naval outpost. In a blatant show of strength two US Air Force B-1B fighter jets took off from the US base alongside bombers from Japan and South Korea on Tuesday. The military drills came before the secretive state announced it is “carefully examining” a plan to target the West Pacific outpost. The rogue state had made the terrifying revelation just hours after US President Donald Trump vowed to meet any threats against America with “fire and fury the likes of which the world has never seen”. As the war of words escalated, the US warned that it was “ready to fight Kim tonight”.
Donald Trump threatened North Korea with “fire and fury like the world has never seen” after American intelligence concluded that the pariah state had produced a nuclear warhead small enough to fit inside a ballistic missile. The assessment from the Defence Intelligence Agency suggested that Kim Jong-un’s quest for his country to become a fully fledged nuclear power had been accelerated by several years. “North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States,” President Trump said last night in New Jersey. “He [Kim] has been very threatening beyond a normal state and . . . they will be met with fire, fury and frankly power the likes of which this world has never seen.”
President Donald Trump said North Korea will be met with “fire and fury like the world has never seen” after US intelligence concluded the rogue state has produced a miniaturised nuclear warhead that can fit inside an intercontinental ballistic missile. Kim Jong-un reached the watershed moment much quicker than expected and he now also now has up to 60 nuclear warheads, significantly more than previously thought. Mr Trump said: “He has been very threatening, beyond a normal statement. North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. “They will be met with fire and fury and frankly power, the likes of which the world has never seen before.”