You’ve got me today!

Article 16

Express
LIZ TRUSS’S refusal to trigger Article 16 amounts to Brexit “capitulation”, former MEP Ben Habib has claimed.
And Mr Habib, who was one of 29 Brexit Party candidates elected to the European Parliament in 2019, fears the Foreign Secretary is poised to accept the European Court of Justice’s role in Northern Ireland – something completely unacceptable to him and many other stalwarts. Ms Truss was handed the role of Brexit negotiator last month after the resignation of Lord David Frost.
Since then, the Tory MP for South West Norfolk has talked of “picking up the pace” in Brexit negotiations with Brussels, and is hosting Ireland’s Foreign Minister Simon Coveney on Thursday.

Omicron

ITV News
Troops are being deployed in London to support the NHS amid growing staff shortages due to Covid-19, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has said.
Some 200 armed forces personnel are being made available to hospitals across the capital, which has been the epicentre of the Omicron outbreak with a huge upsurge in cases.
The announcement comes after Boris Johnson said this week ministers hoped to “ride out” the latest wave without the need for further restrictions in England.
The MoD said the deployment includes 40 military medics and 160 general duty personnel to help fill gaps caused by absences due to NHS staff unable to work because they are ill or having to self-isolate.

Sky News
Some 200 Armed Forces personnel are being deployed to support the NHS in London as hospitals grapple with staff shortages.
Military medics will assist NHS doctors and nurses with patient care, while general duty personnel will help fill gaps caused by other absences.
The Royal College of Nursing has said the deployment means the government can no longer deny there is a “staffing crisis” within the NHS.
Patricia Marquis, the RCN’s director for England, said: “The prime minister and others can no longer be dismissive of questions about the ability of NHS staff to deliver safe care.
“Once the military has been brought in, where does the government turn next in a bid to ‘ride out’ the wave rather than deal with it?”

Mail
Omicron ‘should be welcomed’ because the ultra-infectious variant could consign the days of Britain recording thousands of Covid deaths each day to history, according to experts who say mortality rates had already dipped 20-fold before the strain had really took off.
Despite cases skyrocketing to pandemic highs of over 200,000 because of the super-mutant strain — which has driven out deadlier rival variants — fatalities have stayed flat at around 110 since early December.
MailOnline analysis shows the UK’s case fatality rate — the proportion of confirmed infections that end in death — was dropping even before the variant took off. And intensive care admissions have yet to spiral, despite soaring hospital admissions.
Just 0.15 per cent of cases led to a death towards the end of December, compared to highs of over three per cent during the darkest days of last year’s second wave when the Alpha variant was in full motion and the NHS had yet to embark on its vaccination drive.

Telegraph
Coronavirus cases fell for the second day in a row in Britain on Thursday, with daily figures now lower than a week ago – leading to hopes the omicron wave is slowing.
A further 179,756 cases were added to official figures, down from 189,213 on December 30 – a four per cent drop.
Cases are continuing to fall in London and there is evidence that steep rises are beginning to tail off in the North West, the South East, the East Midlands and the East of England.
There were also 269 fewer people admitted to hospital in England on January 4, the most recent date for which figures are available, compared to the previous week.

Mail
The average length of a hospital stay for Covid patients over the age of 80 in the UK has more than halved in a major boost for the NHS, figures suggest.
During the third wave, from May 1 last year, over 80s were usually hospitalised for 11 days.
But since December 1 – and the onset of the Omicron wave – they have typically required a bed for around just five days.
It is a similar story for those in the 50 to 69 and the 70 to 79 categories. During the third wave, those aged 70 to 79 required a hospital bed for eight days and those aged 50 to 69 for seven days. Now they too are on five days.

Sun
BORIS Johnson has declared “we will get through this wave” as stats revealed a triple whammy of Covid good news.
In early signs the Omicron storm may be subsiding, UK Covid cases fell for the second day in a row.
The number of people being taken to hospital with Covid in London — Omicron ground zero — also tumbled.
And the number of people with the virus and on ventilation in hospitals in England also fell for the second day on the trot.
Hopes are growing inside Downing Street that all Plan B curbs will be ditched by the end of the month and Britain can get back on the road to normality.
All holiday tests are also expected to be axed at the end of the month in a huge boost for sun-thirsty Brits, The Sun has learned.
Eager Tory MPs urged Mr Johnson to go even further and become the first world leader to scrap all Covid legal restrictions.

Mirror
A new set of symptoms has officially overtaken a temperature and a cough as the most common sign of Covid-19, fresh studies have shown.
Covid cases have been growing exponentially for the past two weeks, with 218,705 cases being confirmed on a single day on Tuesday.
In the last seven days 1,281,588 people have been confirmed to have the virus, and concerns are growing about how the workforce can function with so many people needing to isolate.
For almost two years the most common signs of Covid have been a high temperature and a cough, but now it appears a different set of symptoms are reigning supreme with the outbreak of the Omicron variant.

Education

Telegraph
Schoolchildren are refusing to wear face masks in the classroom, a union official said as the Government’s own study does not justify the policy.
Just five per cent of pupils at one school agreed to take a lateral flow test at the start of the term and wear a mask, according to Damien McNulty, a national executive member of the National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers (NASUWT).
“Sadly, we have had reports in the last 24 hours of at least six secondary schools in the north-west of England where children, in huge numbers, are refusing to take lateral flow tests or to wear masks,” Mr McNulty told the BBC.
“We’ve got one school in Lancashire where only 67 children out of 1,300 are prepared to have a lateral flow test and wear masks. This is a public health emergency.”

Mail
Officials have admitted they do not definitely know whether face masks are effective in preventing the spread of Covid in schools.
The Government yesterday said evidence is not ‘conclusive’ although studies show they may help reduce transmission.
The revelation comes despite all secondary school pupils being asked to wear a mask in class from this week.
On Wednesday, Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi said masks in school will ‘help reduce transmission at a time when rates of infection are high’.
He highlighted data from a sample of 123 schools which suggested ‘there was a greater reduction in Covid absence’ among schools using coverings.

Sun
TEACHERS are being told to IGNORE government guidance and enforce tougher Covid rules in schools.
Gloomy union bosses have urged staff to stagger start times, reintroduce bubbles, avoid mixing classes if there are absences and continue using PCR tests.
The advice from the National Education Union contradicts that of ministers, who have dubbed “keeping schools open” their absolute priority as cases of the Omicron variant surge.
Government insiders have said there are no plans to toughen Covid rules as a string of hugely positive studies show Omicron IS milder than other strains.

Guardian
Schools in England are “teetering on the edge” with more than a third (36%) struggling with staff absence rates in excess of 10%, according to a snap poll by a headteachers’ union.
Almost one in 10 heads (9%) who took part in the survey said more than 20% of their teaching staff were absent on the first day of term for Covid-related reasons.
The staffing situation is already so critical in some schools that 4% of heads have had to send classes or year groups home for online learning, while almost 7% have combined classes or year groups in response to teacher absence.
Half of school leaders said they were already dependent on supply teachers to cover classes, and more than a third (37%) were unable to source the supply staff they need, even via agencies – almost certainly because of high demand.

Times
A study used to justify the introduction of masks in English schools implied they had at best a marginal effect, according to documents released by the Department for Education.
From this term pupils in England will join those in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland in wearing masks in secondary schools, in an attempt to combat the spread of Omicron.
However, the documents show the government’s own research failed to find they had a significant effect in lowering transmission.
Despite this, other scientists said that the broader evidence on the use of masks remained strong.

iNews
The number of schools sending classes and year groups home because of teacher absences is set to rise rapidly in the weeks ahead, the Government has been warned.
Just a few days into the term, more than a third of schools are already reporting that one in 10 staff are off sick – with one school leader saying that 20 per cent will be the crucial threshold at which many schools cease being able to function as normal.
According to a poll of 2,000 school leaders in England by the National Association of Head Teachers, 36 per cent said they had more than 10 per cent of their total staff absent on the first day of term due to Covid-related reasons.
Ninety-five per cent had pupils absent because of Covid, with 29 per cent saying they had more than one in 10 pupils absent.
With 37 per cent of schools struggling to source supply teachers to cover gaps, the NAHT said schools were “teetering on the edge”.

BBC News
Some older pupils in England are refusing to take lateral flow tests and wear face coverings in classrooms as they head back to school, parents and other pupils say.
Charities say they are worried about the effects on vulnerable students of this advice being ignored.
However, other parents say masks impact on their children’s learning.
The government says schools “can decide how best to encourage” pupils to take tests and wear masks.
The Department for Education (DfE) stressed that pupils should not be “denied education” on the basis of whether or not they wear a mask.
It has previously said it is determined to keep schools open, despite more staff absences being expected.
Pupils in England have been asked to take in-school Covid tests before heading back into class this week, and to wear face coverings in lessons.
However, these are recommendations and are not mandatory.

Dementia

Mail
Dementia cases will triple by 2050 unless people adopt healthier lifestyles and education improves, a major study suggests.
Experts warn of a potential dementia time bomb, with 153million living with the condition worldwide within decades.
This is up from 57million in 2019, with the soaring numbers fuelled by growing and ageing populations as well as poor diets and a lack of exercise.
Researchers are now calling for ‘more aggressive prevention efforts’ to limit the disease.
This includes improvements to education, diet and physical activity, better access to health and social care and reduced rates of smoking. More funding is also needed to discover effective drugs, according to the Global Burden of Disease study.

Times
More than one in 50 people in Britain will be living with dementia by 2050, scientists have warned, with the global toll set to triple within 30 years.
In 2019, an estimated 907,000 people in Britain had dementia, about one in 74 people. By 2050, this number is projected to increase by 75 per cent to 1.6 million people, or about one in 46 people.
The population is predicted to increase by just 10 per cent to 74 million over the same period.
Globally, the number of cases is projected to rise from 57.4 million to 152.8 million cases by 2050, or from one in 138 people to one in 64 people.

Express
DEMENTIA cases are set to almost triple globally in a shocking new report by the Global Burden of Disease, with the UK alone set to see a 75 percent rise in cases by 2050.
The number of adults living with dementia worldwide is expected to nearly triple, from an estimated 57 million in 2019 to 153 million in 2050, according to a study. Researchers suggest this is due to population growth and population ageing. They looked at four risk factors for dementia – smoking, obesity, high blood sugar, and low education – and the impact they will have on future trends. For example, improvements in global education access are projected to reduce global dementia prevalence by 6.2 million cases by 2050.
But this will be countered by anticipated trends in obesity, high blood sugar, and smoking, which are expected to result in an additional 6.8 million dementia cases.
Dementia cases will rise in every country, with the smallest estimated increases in the high-income Asia Pacific (53 percent) and western Europe (74 percent), the study suggests.

Sun
DEMENTIA cases worldwide are set to triple by 2050, researchers warn.
The devastating illness could impact 153 million people in 2050, against the 57 million in 2019.
In the UK, the number of dementia cases is projected to increase by 75 per cent, from just over 907,000 in 2019 to almost 1.6 million in 2050.
But this is relatively small compared to places with the largest growth estimates, of 367 per cent in north Africa and the Middle East and 357 per cent in eastern sub-Saharan Africa.
The study, published in The Lancet Public Health, should be a “wake-up call”, charities said.
Dementia is an umbrella term for the deterioration of mental ability so severe that it impacts daily life, causing problems with memory, behaviour and coordination, to name a few.
There are several types, with Alzheimer’s being the most common and accounting for up to 80 per cent of all dementia cases.

Blair

Express
SIR TONY Blair has been savaged for “creating ISIS” as a petition calling for the former Prime Minister to have his knighthood withdrawn surpasses 900,000 signatures.
Iraqis who grew up in the shadow of the war are outraged at the British Government’s decision to award a knighthood to former Prime Minister Sir Tony Blair. They are not alone in their fury as a petition calling for the former Labour leader to have the honour withdrawn is edging closer to a million signatures, with 934,529 at the time of writing. The petition denounces Sir Tony as the “least deserving person of any public honour” and calls for him to be held accountable for “war crimes”.
The ex-Labour Party leader may have won more elections than any other Labour leader and been a force for good over national minimum wage and gay rights. But his support for George Bush’s 2003 invasion tarnished his legacy and made him synonymous with the thousands of lives lost as a result of the war.

Mail
Victims of IRA atrocities condemned Tony Blair‘s knighthood yesterday over his secret deal to provide ‘get out of jail free’ cards to almost 200 suspected terrorists.
Families torn apart by Republican attacks hit out at the former prime minister for ‘providing an effective amnesty to murderers and bombers’ as part of the 1998 Northern Ireland peace deal.
Tory grandee Lord Tebbit, who was severely injured in an IRA bomb attack during the 1984 Conservative Party conference, said Sir Tony’s agreement to release terrorists early and provide immunity to others should ‘demerit him from any honours’.