In an exclusive report, the Sun claims he won’t resign.
TORIES fear John Bercow is planning to renege on his pledge to stand down on October 31 and stay on to scupper Boris Johnson’s Brexit plans further.
Last month the pro-Remain Speaker finally announced he would quit the powerful job on Halloween – and step down as an MP at the election.
But Cabinet sources said they are concerned Mr Bercow will claim the fallout from a No Deal Brexit in November, the constitutional impact of a legal battle over the Benn Act or further rows over language will persuade him to stay on until Christmas by saying Parliament needs the stability.
But he can’t join a certain Wimbledon club, reports the Express.
JOHN Bercow’s bid to join the All England Croquet And Lawn Tennis club has been “quietly withdrawn” amid fears his application would not be looked upon favourably by some members, it has emerged.
The keen tennis player, who is often spotted in the Royal Box at Wimbledon, had hoped to become a member of the exclusive club. But insiders say his application has been withdrawn, the Daily Mail has reported. A source said: “Some members are so angry about his perceived anti-Brexit shenanigans it was made clear his application would not be looked on favourably.”
Will we? Won’t we? The Express explains how we could leave at the end of the month.
BORIS Johnson has defiantly announced the UK will leave the EU on October 31 – and he can do with without breaking the law thanks to a loophole in the controversial Benn Act.
A senior No10 source said the so-called Benn Act, which forces the Prime Minister to beg the bloc for a Brexit delay if Brussels does not accept his new deal, can be interpreted in different ways.
The unnamed source told the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg: “The Government will comply with the Benn Act, which only imposes a very specific narrow duty concerning Parliament’s letter requesting a delay.”
The Telegraph claims BoJo aims to get a friendly country to veto the plans.
Boris Johnson hopes Hungary will veto a Brexit extension as the Government said in court that he would comply with the law and request one.
The Benn Act requires the Prime Minister to send a letter to Brussels asking for an extension to Article 50 if he fails to agree a deal by Oct 19.
However, on Friday night, EU sources said senior ministers had reached out to the Hungarian government for assurances it would veto any request for a delay.
An Article 50 extension must be agreed by all 27 other EU leaders.
But the request for a delay could be handed to the courts, reports the Mail .
Boris Johnson has insisted the UK will leave the EU by Halloween with ‘no delay’ after a court was told the PM will ask Brussels for a Brexit extension if the two sides have not struck an agreement by October 19.
The Prime Minister has long maintained that he will stick to his ‘do or die’ pledge to deliver Brexit with or without a deal by October 31.
But he has also insisted that the government will abide by an anti-No Deal law passed by rebel MPs.
The Independent says the PM will write the letter.
Boris Johnson will send a letter to the EU asking for a Brexit delay if no divorce deal has been agreed by 19 October, according to government papers submitted to the Court of Session in Scotland.
It comes as European Union member states agree that the Government’s new Brexit proposals “do not provide a basis for concluding an agreement” in its first full account of Mr Johnson’s plan.
Another constitutional crisis? The Guardian says it’s on the cards.
Boris Johnson is careering towards a fresh constitutional crisis, after insisting there will be “no delay” to Brexit just hours after government lawyers promised in a court in Scotland that he would obey the law and request an extension if he failed to clinch a deal within a fortnight.
The prime minister tweeted that there must be “new deal or no deal – but no delay”, echoing the words he used in his party conference speech in Manchester on Wednesday.
The dramatic scenes in court came as Brexit negotiations all but ground to a halt after the EU rebuffed UK requests for them to intensify over the weekend. It now appears increasingly likely Johnson will fail to hit the deadline for a deal laid down in what he calls the “surrender act”.
The Sun insists we’ll leave on time.
BORIS Johnson insisted Britain will leave the EU by October 31 “without delay” despite bombshell court documents suggesting he might push back Brexit.
The PM stuck to the Halloween deadline despite Government papers released in Scotland this afternoon claiming he would send a letter to Brussels, seeking a third extension to Article 50.
This appears to contradict what Boris has said where he insisted he would not ask the EU for a delay.
Elsewhere within Brexit, the Times quotes an advisor.
Boris Johnson’s most senior adviser warned last night that Britain would leave the European Union without a deal if Brussels refused to compromise.
Dominic Cummings told government advisers that the prime minister would not repeat the mistakes of his predecessor and delay Brexit.
“Next week we are going to know how things turn out,” he said. “If the EU says no then we are not going to do what the last lot did and change our negotiating position. If we don’t get anything next week, we are gone.”
One of the top ferry companies is ready, says Breitbart.
The credibility of “Project Fear” threats of a “chaotic” no-deal Brexit have taken yet another blow as a top ferry company confirms it is “sufficiently prepared”.
Nigel Wonnacott, who leads on external communications at Brittany Ferries, suggested that claims up to 75 per cent of lorries arriving in Portsmouth could be turned away in a No Deal scenario were not credible, in comments to The News.
“We don’t want to set too many hares running and terrify people that it will be inevitable that there will be chaos in Portsmouth,” Mr Wonnacott told the local press outlet.
“There’s sufficient planning in place to make sure that doesn’t happen.”
Negotiators in continental Europe don’t see an answer in the PM’s plans, says the Express.
EU member states have rejected Boris Johnson’s Brexit proposals, saying they “do not provide a basis for concluding an agreement”, hours after he vowed not to back down in the face of pressure to request a delay.
The prime minister said he had no intention of delaying the UK’s exit from the EU beyond October 31 after a Brexit Party MEP warned it would mean the end of his political career.
He took to Twitter to offer reassurance to the 17.4 million Britons who voted Leave after the Government stated in a court document that they are prepared to request more time from Brussels. In a short but bold message, Mr Johnson said: “New deal or no deal – but no delay. #GetBrexitDone #LeaveOct31.”
The Independent is also sceptical about an agreement.
European Union member states have agreed that the government’s new Brexit proposals “do not provide a basis for concluding an agreement”, a European Commission spokesman has said.
A representative for the body said that the UK would be given another chance to present its proposals – however the EU27 were in agreement that the plans laid out by Boris Johnson were not enough to secure the makings of an initial deal.
In a statement a spokesman for the body said: “We have completed discussions with the UK for today.
Sky News says there’ll be no more talks this weekend.
Talks between the UK and European Union will not take place this weekend as anticipated after the European Commission said Boris Johnson’s new Brexit proposals “do not provide a basis for concluding an agreement”.
EU Commission spokeswoman Natasha Bertaud said discussions on the prime minister’s plan to replace the Irish backstop would not take place this weekend, but that the UK would be given “another opportunity to present its proposals in detail” on Monday.
She said: “Michel Barnier debriefed (officials) yesterday, where member states agreed that the UK proposals do not provide a basis for concluding an agreement.”
ITV News agrees.
Discussions between the UK and European Union will not take place this weekend as anticipated as Brussels dealt a heavy blow to Boris Johnson’s new Brexit proposals.
Talks between the two sides were thought likely to continue on Saturday after the Prime Minister set out his plan to replace the controversial Irish backstop.
But the European Commission said EU member states had agreed the proposals “do not provide a basis for concluding an agreement”.
A spokesman said discussions between the two sides would not take place this weekend and instead the UK would be given “another opportunity to present its proposals in detail” on Monday.
And the decision not to talk is a snub to the PM, claims the Express.
BRUSSELS last night snubbed Boris Johnson’s top Brexit adviser after he offered to continue talks to break the deadlock throughout the weekend.
David Frost met European Union negotiators yesterday to discuss the new proposals put forward by the Prime Minister. EU officials said that “every day counts” but rebuffed the chance to talk today and tomorrow, saying Mr Frost must first prove the Government is ready to change its Northern Ireland backstop proposals. Sources in Brussels said there was “nothing useful that could be done this weekend”.
Boris has been told to compromise even further, reports iNews.
EU leaders have told Boris Johnson to produce a new Brexit compromise on Monday or risk talks collapsing entirely.
The Prime Minister will next week tour European capitals to lobby leaders including Leo Varadkar in person as he fights to get a new Withdrawal Agreement within 10 days.
But in a blow to Mr Johnson’s plans, EU ambassadors warned that the proposals tabled this week “do not provide a basis for concluding an agreement”.
He had hoped to spend the weekend ramping up negotiations but has been told to send his officials back to Brussels with a revised set of proposals. The Prime Minister’s aides are now drawing up plans for him to travel around Europe speaking to leaders individually over the course of next week.
The Mail says his plans are disintegrating.
Boris Johnson’s plans appear to be falling apart after the EU said his offer does not provide a basis for a deal – just a week before he tours European capitals in a last ditch bid to avoid crashing out of Europe.
The PM’s chief negotiator, David Frost, and his team of Downing Street officials failed to convince their EU counterparts in Brussels on Friday amid concerns over flaws in the government’s proposals.
But the negotiators will get a second chance next week to explain Mr Johnson’s proposals in more detail after the EU side was left with many questions following Friday’s session.
The Guardian concurs.
Boris Johnson’s Brexit plans look to be falling apart as the European commission said there are no grounds to accept a request from the UK for intensive weekend negotiations two weeks before an EU summit.
EU sources said there was no basis for such discussions, given the British prime minister’s insistence on there being a customs border on the island of Ireland.
Johnson’s chief negotiator, David Frost, along with a team of a dozen British officials, failed to convince their EU counterparts in Brussels on Friday that he had a mandate from Downing Street to compromise on what the EU sees as major flaws in the UK government’s proposals.
The Irish boss says the plans to date are no good, says the Independent.
Boris Johnson’s government has said the EU must enter 10 days of “intensive discussions” by the weekend, as the PM seeks backing for his Brexit proposal. But European Parliament’s Brexit steering group and the Irish government labelled them unacceptable.
Jean-Claude Juncker spoke to Leo Varadkar about Mr Johnson’s latest Brexit proposals on Thursday, and a European Commission statement later reiterated yesterday’s immediate response to their release – thanks for this, but it needs work.
“The Withdrawal Agreement must have a legally operational solution now, and cannot be based on untried arrangements that would be left to negotiation during the transition period,” the statement added.
Could Stormont reconvene to block the arrangements? The Guardian reports:
The right of one party to veto Brexit arrangements in Northern Ireland may be eliminated for the purpose of the UK’s departure from the EU, the Northern Ireland secretary has suggested.
Asked if he thought reform of the veto mechanism in Stormont, known as the “petition of concern” could address concerns over the Brexit deal, Julian Smith said: “That could be helpful.”
Concerns have been raised by the Irish taoiseach and a number of parties in Northern Ireland that the mechanism could effectively hand the Democratic Unionist party a veto on post-Brexit arrangements.
Boris Johnson’s proposals for Brexit centre on a Northern Ireland-only backstop arrangement, under which the country would stay aligned to the EU’s single market, but not its customs union, for five years.
The Express calls it sabotage.
IRELAND’S Leo Varadkar was accused of attempting to sabotage Brexit by claiming the UK wants to remain in the European Union.
The Irish Taoiseach was last night accused of deliberating trying to “derail” Boris Johnson’s Brexit withdrawal agreement by claiming remaining part of the EU is “what the British people actually want”. Mr Varadkar, a Fine Gael politician, said: “All the polls since Prime Minister Johnson became prime minister suggest that’s what the British people actually want, but their political system isn’t able to give them that choice.”
Ireland won’t accept the proposed compromise, says Breitbart.
The Irish government has said it “cannot possibly” accept Boris Johnson’s proposed Brexit compromise, with the Irish prime minister claiming the British want another referendum.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson had put forward a repackaged version of Theresa May’s withdrawal treaty with the European Union, which would have seen the British hand over an estimated £39 billion in exit fees, enter a years-long, extendable “transition” period in which Britain would remain an EU member-state in all but name — minus its representation in EU institutions — and agree to fall into a so-called “backstop” trading relationship if a free trade agreement was not agreed by the end of that period.
The question of the fish around our island is raised again in the Express.
FISHERMEN in the UK are demanding sovereignty over the UK’s coastal waters so they can end their suffering under the severe imbalance of the EU’s quota system.
European vessels are free to sail into UK waters every day and scoop up 80 percent of the overall catch but British boats heading into EU seas are restricted to just 11 percent of what is on offer. If Boris Johnson’s proposals are rejected by Brussels and he refuses to seek a delay – as he claims he will – he will attempt to take the UK out of the bloc on October 31 without a deal. A hard exit would mean the UK fisheries would adopt international law and could pave way for an Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of 200 nautical miles, which foreign boats would be banned from entering.
Claims made by the paedophile fantasist ‘Nick’ have raised demands in the Times.
Demands were growing last night for a criminal inquiry into alleged misconduct by senior police officers after a report laid bare the scale of the failures in Scotland Yard’s investigation into a non-existent Westminster paedophile ring.
Sir Richard Henriques’s long-awaited review concluded that officers had unlawfully misled a judge to obtain warrants to search the homes of public figures falsely accused of child murder, rape and torture.
Labour’s deputy leader is involved, reports the Sun.
LABOUR’s Tom Watson was urged to quit politics last night after being accused by a judge of putting pressure on cops to investigate VIP’s over bogus sex abuse claims.
A damning report by Judge Sir Richard Henriques also accused the police of “institutional stupidity” in the scandal.
Sir Richard Henriques’s report also said Labour deputy leader Mr Watson panicked cops into pursuing a baseless rape claim against former Tory minister Lord Brittan.
The Mail concentrates on the senior police officer.
Steve Rodhouse is one of the highest-ranking police officers in the country. As Director General (Operations) of the National Crime Agency, he is second in command of Britain’s equivalent to America’s FBI.
He enjoys a pay package of up to £245,000 a year and a pension pot worth almost £2million. On his drive is a sporty Audi TT.
But does he really deserve to be where he is?
Surely there can’t be many, even in the police, who believe he does – not today, in the light of what we have now found out about him in his previous role at Scotland Yard when as deputy assistant commissioner he was in charge of the catastrophic Operation Midland investigation into the non-existent ‘VIP paedophile ring.’
And the Met police chief is also embroiled, says the Guardian.
The Metropolitan police commissioner, Cressida Dick, has been urged to consider her position after a damning report laid bare a series of failings in the force’s disastrous multimillion-pound investigation into an alleged VIP paedophile ring.
The scathing report, which piles pressure on Britain’s biggest police force, reveals that senior officers agreed to publicly say they believed accuser Carl Beech – leading a detective to infamously declare at the outset of the inquiry that his claims were “credible and true”.
We could be taken for a ride by those companies that offer insurance, says the Times.
Car and household insurers face being blocked from imposing annual price rises on loyal customers unless they come up with reforms of their own in the next six weeks, under a crackdown proposed by the City regulator.
In a challenge to the insurance industry as part of its assault on the unfair treatment of motorists, the Financial Conduct Authority said that it also could restrict price rises for policyholders who renewed each year, or may force providers to automatically switch customers to an equivalent but cheaper deal.