FREE COVID TESTS FOR ALL SAYS BORIS

The Daily Mail reports that Boris Johnson will today urge everybody to take two Covid tests a week to help safeguard the unlocking of the country. Today he will unveil a multi-billion-pound scheme inviting everyone in England to take two free Covid tests per week. Mr Johnson last night said the huge testing programme was needed to ensure that the sacrifices made in recent months are not wasted and Health Secretary Matt Hancock said it was vital that people take up the testing offer, adding: The vaccine programme has been a shot in the arm for the whole country, but reclaiming our lost freedoms and getting back to normal hinges on us all getting tested regularly. The fast-turnaround tests, which produce results in just half an hour, do not require lab analysis and will be available for use at home.

NO PASS NO PINT PLAN SCRAPPED BY BORIS

The Daily Mail reports that Boris Johnson has scrapped plans to force drinkers and families out for a meal to show a coronavirus vaccine passport to get into pubs and restaurants in the face of huge political opposition. The Prime Minister is expected to announce a wave of pilot events in April and May where proof of a jab will be required for entry, to avoid the need for social distancing. They include the FA Cup Final at Wembley and a series of nightlife events in Liverpool. But despite polling suggesting the public wants it to be used in pubs and restaurants,  Mr Johnson is believed to have omitted them amid widespread political and industry opposition. Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer had branded ‘passports for pints’ Un-British and suggested Labour could vote against them. A hardcore of more than 40 Tories had also threatened to rebel, potentially enough to defeat the Government in the Commons. In a cross-party letter on Friday 72 MPs had branded the idea ‘divisive and discriminatory’. The decision will come as a huge boost to the industry, which will open from April 12 to customers seated outdoors. Punters will be allowed inside from May 17, with social distancing.

DESPERATE AIRLINE BOSSES WRITE TO BORIS JOHNSON

The SUN reports that airline bosses are warning they need the green light for take-off within weeks to kick-start an economic boom. Eight sector chiefs have written to PM Boris Johnson outlining their case. They warned: There can be no economic recovery without aviation and we are confident we have the tools to enable a safe and meaningful restart to air travel in May. The reality-check letter comes ahead of the Global Travel Taskforce publishing its report around April 12. The resumption of air travel will boost economic recovery. The UK lost £11billion in GDP because of the frozen US-UK air links by the end of last year.

WHAT FINANCIAL CRISIS WE HAVE ALL TOOLS SAYS LAGARDE

The Express reports that European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde has insisted the bloc has the tools to tackle a growing financial crisis despite the EU’s covid response. Ms Lagarde has stressed the bloc has the tools to deal with a gloomy economic outlook following months of chaos as the bloc responds to a third wave of the virus. Lagarde told Bloomberg how the ECB will do all it can to protect the EU in the coming months. But her comments come as countries outside the eurozone begin to recover quicker. The bank president’s comments come despite major concerns over the eurozone’s financial state as it is struggling under chaotic virus restrictions and a sluggish jab rollout. The ECB predicts the EU economy will grow 4% this year but that won’t be enough to claw back last year’s shrink of 6.6%.

UK UNION FLAG: ‘CHILLING AND FROM FACIST PLAYBOOK’

The Express reports that Britons  have reacted furiously after leaked messages emerged of Labour members voicing their opposition to the Union flag, with one even describing it as “chilling” and another as “from the fascist playbook”. Labour councillors and candidates took part in an online debate about flying the Union flag and what it symbolises – with some responses sparking outrage. The exchange took place on Whatsapp between a group of Labour members in Warrington, Cheshire. The leaked debate on Whatsapp was initiated by former Labour MP Faisal Rashid. He was a member of parliament for Warrington South from 2017-2019 and is standing in the local elections next month.

DON’T LOOK NOW BUT …

The Morning Star reports: Retail unions have said that significant government action is needed to stem the sector’s bloodbath after figures showed almost 190,000 jobs have been lost since shops were first forced to shut their doors a year ago. The figures come less than two weeks before non-essential shops reopen their doors to customers in England after the lengthy third lockdown. Usdaw general secretary Paddy Lillis said: “The coronavirus pandemic has pushed many retailers and retail workers to breaking point, so government action needs to be equally significant.” The figures revealed that 83,725 jobs lost in the period were due to companies going into administration, including major collapses by Debenhams and Sir Philip Green’s Arcadia Group. And about 11,986 jobs were cut during the company voluntary arrangement restructuring processes. Another 92,974 jobs were axed through rationalisation programmes, which included supermarkets Sainsbury’s and Asda cutting thousands of roles. The devastating impact of the pandemic resulted in 15,153 store closures in shopping destinations across the UK.

HONEY THE KIDS CAN’T READ

The Sunday Times reports: More than 200,000 pupils will move from primary school to secondary school this autumn without being able to read properly, according to unpublished government figures.The findings, which have sent a jolt through Downing Street, show the impact of lockdown on learning, with the number of children struggling with literacy rising by 30,000 over the past year. Boris Johnson will use a key speech to launch a “four-year emergency” plan to help disadvantaged children catch up. Senior government sources said the problem was the prime minister’s top priority after the coronavirus vaccination programme and would remain a central focus until the next election.

HMG OFFICIAL OPPOSITION NOWHERE TO BE SEEN

The Telegraph reports: Matt Hancock has been ordered to the High Court on Tuesday to justify why he is allowing non-essential shops to open before pubs and restaurants. The legal action has been brought by nightclubs operator Sacha Lord and former Pizza Express boss Hugh Osmond to try to force the early opening of hospitality venues. Non-essential retailers such as clothes shops, homeware stores, betting shops, auction houses, technology shops, car showrooms and market stalls can open from April 12. Indoor hospitality businesses have to wait until May 17. Mr Osmond said: ‘the case offered  some hope this weekend for those of us who cherish British freedom and who crave a return to rational and democratic governing.’ He added: ‘in a democracy, evidence and rationality should still matter, and so too should transparency, challenge and accountability. Government has been given an easy ride in Parliament with the official Opposition being nowhere to be seen.’

THIS SILLY MEASURE IS NONSENSE

The Telegraph reports: The  Covid certification scheme planned by the Government is a rather silly measure, Tory former cabinet minister David Davis has said. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to release details of a vaccine passport scheme on Easter Monday.  Mr Davis questioned the need for certificates, on LBC radio: ”It is really rather hard to see what the purpose of this test is. It is very different from anything we have done in Britain outside wartime. We are not used to presenting papers – or the electronic equivalent – to go to the pub or to go to a football match. That is not what we think of our freedoms. Once you have got the population to above about 70 percent vaccinated then you have got herd immunity. So it is very difficult to see what they are trying to stop. The idea that we’d somehow stop (coronavirus) variants by this rather silly measure in Britain alone is nonsense.”

APPLICATIONS  FROM BRITISH RESIDENTS FOR IRISH PASSPORTS SURGE

From the Independent: The number of Irish passports issued in Britain surged following the Brexit vote, official figures suggest. Data shared by Ireland’s foreign affairs minister Simon Coveney – which he said showed the number of passports issued to applicants resident in Great Britain – suggested that figure exceeded 422,000 between 2016 and 2020. Some 46,400 and 63,500 Irish passports were issued to residents of Britain respectively in 2015 and 2016, the year the UK voted to leave the European Union. This rose to more than 120,000 in 2019 alone. In total, between 2017 and 2020, some 358,900 Irish passports were issued to British residents, the official figures suggest.

AND FINALLY

From The Mirror: Popular celebrities and trends can lead to a whole generation of babies having the same name. Pamela Redmond, the CEO and co-founder of Nameberry, said  this year many of the names reflect people’s desire for the outdoors after a year largely spent in lockdown. Currently, Luna is the most-searched-for girls’ name on the website – the name of the Roman moon goddess, Arlo has become the most popular boys name, shooting up the chart to replace last year’s winner Milo. There are three newcomers to the girls’ top ten list – Iris, Freya and Hazel  which have replaced Charlotte, Ophelia, Eleanor.  Kai, Finn, Ezra, Rowan and Jude are the new additions to the boys’ list .