EU

Telegraph
Brussels believes that Britain will leave the EU without a deal after accepting that Boris Johnson “isn’t bluffing”, the Telegraph understands. EU leaders are now working on “a working hypothesis of no deal” following a meeting on Monday between Commission officials and Brexit diplomats from each of the 27 EU countries, amid mounting speculation Mr Johnson will call a general election after October 31.

Express
EU chiefs are now in “full no-deal Brexit preparation” after giving up on Boris Johnson’s ability to deliver an agreement, Brussels sources have revealed. The Prime Minister’s plan to scrap the controversial Irish backstop has all but ended hopes of a deal being reached ahead of October 31. EU diplomats and officials have conceded that Britain leaving without an agreement is now the most likely outcome after Mr Johnson’s chief negotiator held meetings in Brussels last week.

Guardian
Boris Johnson has no intention of renegotiating the withdrawal agreement and a no-deal Brexit is his “central scenario”, European diplomats have been told, amid hardening evidence in Westminster that the government is expecting to crash out of the EU. Brussels diplomats briefed after a meeting between the prime minister’s chief envoy and senior EU figures in Brussels said that Britain’s refusal to compromise was understood to have been clear to those attending.

Evening Standard
Downing Street has said the EU must change its Brexit stance if a deal is to be secured after Brussels officials reportedly suggested Britain is focused on no-deal. A “rethink” is needed by the EU over the “current refusal” to make any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement, Number 10 added. The warning came after reports emerged about a briefing to diplomats in Brussels following a meeting between Boris Johnson’s top Europe adviser David Frost and senior EU figures.

Yahoo News
Boris Johnson has no intention of renegotiating the withdrawal agreement and a no-deal Brexit is his “central scenario”, European diplomats have been told, amid hardening evidence in Westminster that the government is expecting to crash out of the EU. Brussels diplomats briefed after a meeting between the prime minister’s chief envoy and senior EU figures in Brussels said that Britain’s refusal to compromise was understood to have been clear to those attending.

Sky News
Downing Street has said Boris Johnson wants to negotiate a new Brexit deal “with the greatest energy”, amid reports EU leaders have accepted the UK is going to leave without an agreement. Brussels is said to be operating on a “working hypothesis of no-deal” after accepting the prime minister “isn’t bluffing” about crashing out of the bloc. It comes after a meeting on Monday between European Commission officials and Brexit diplomats from the 27 other EU member states.

Sun
BRUSSELS has finally realised Boris Johnson is serious about a No Deal Brexit and has “no intention” of trying to get a new deal. EU member states have agreed to dig in over the backstop and dismissed calls for Michel Barnier’s mandate to be torn up as “confrontational and unhelpful”. At a meeting yesterday representatives from the 27 capitals decided to ramp up No Deal planning in September with a major communications blitz.

BBC News
The EU has said there is no basis for any further Brexit talks while the UK continues to insist on making changes to Theresa May’s withdrawal agreement. EU negotiators told European diplomats changes suggested by the new UK government, such as scrapping the Irish border backstop, were unacceptable. But Downing Street is rejecting claims it wanted talks to fail to allow a no-deal Brexit to be pushed through. A spokesperson said they hoped the EU would rethink its refusal of changes.

Mail
Brussels today insisted the Withdrawal Agreement was ‘not up for negotiation’ at it faced up to a UK Government ‘shock and awe’ campaign in search of a better Brexit deal.  The European Commission said it was willing to talk to Boris Johnson but refused to countenance reopening the WA to remove the Irish border backstop that has hindered its passage through Parliament. Today’s rebuff came after Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay at the weekend demanded the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, go back leaders to change the terms of the talks.

No deal

Independent
Boris Johnson’s senior adviser Dominic Cummings has accused Philip Hammond of trying to block preparations for a no-deal Brexit as chancellor. The former Vote Leave supremo is understood to have told a meeting of Downing Street advisers that Mr Hammond and former business secretary Greg Clark had “actively frustrated” work to get the UK ready for no-deal. But an ally of the former chancellor dismissed the claim as “simply untrue”.

Times
Philip Hammond has been accused of undermining preparations for a no-deal Brexit “for political purposes” by the prime minister’s most senior aide. Dominic Cummings said that the former chancellor and Greg Clark, the former business secretary, had blocked no-deal planning because they did not want Britain to be able to leave the European Union without a deal. Mr Cummings told a meeting of government aides: “It’s clear as we look at the process for no-deal planning that in all sorts of ways the previous government did not take this seriously.

Sun
MATT Hancock says Remainer MPs CANNOT block Brexit because they don’t “have the numbers”. The Health Secretary claimed pro-Eu MPs had a chance to launch a counter in the Commons last month but were cancelled out by Labour Brexiteers. Hancock previously warned that Remainer MPs would block a No-Deal – but said he “changed my mind” after they flopped. He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “There were votes in Parliament just before we rose for summer that I thought would stop a no-deal Brexit and actually were defeated.

Independent
Parliament is no longer able to block a no-deal Brexit, a senior cabinet minister has said. Health secretary Matt Hancock is the first minister in Boris Johnson’s administration to echo the reported claims of senior adviser Dominic Cummings that MPs have left it too late to stop no-deal going ahead on 31 October. Leading Tory opponent of Brexit Dominic Grieve insisted on Sunday that there remain “a number of things” which the House of Commons can do to prevent no-deal, including bringing down the Government and setting up a new one in its place.

Express
SIR CRAIG OLIVER, the former Downing Street Director of Communications under David Cameron, has revealed the big test ahead to see if Boris Johnson’s Brexit plan will be a success. Speaking on BBC Newsnight, alongside the Financial Time’s Sebastian Payne and The Guardian’s Polly Toynbee, the panel were discussing what host Emily Maitlis described as a battle between two Dominics. Dominic Cummmings, the Vote Leave mastermind is part of Mr Johnson’s team and Dominic Grieve may attempt to bring down his own government to prevent no deal.

Times
Boris Johnson would refuse to resign even after losing a confidence vote so he could force through a no-deal Brexit on October 31, under plans being considered by Downing Street. Dominic Cummings, the prime minister’s most senior aide, told colleagues last week that Mr Johnson would not quit if Tory Remainers voted with Labour to bring down the government. The Times has been told that Mr Johnson could stay on as prime minister even if Tory MPs were able to form a “government of national unity” opposed to a no-deal Brexit.

SpAds

Guido
Contrary to speculation last night, the much anticipated early morning meeting with Dominic Cummings did not turn out to be a cull of Remainer SpAds. Instead SpAds were given their “marching orders” to go back to their Departments and knock them into shape for Brexit, and warned that Philip Hammond/Greg Clark-style anti-Brexit antics would not be tolerated. Taking back control of Whitehall… SpAds have been instructed to interrogate their Departments’ levels of no-deal readiness and report any issues back to Downing Street sooner rather than later.

Guardian
They’re young, they’re ambitious, and many are of a libertarian bent. A new cadre of special advisers has entered Downing Street and various ministries under the regime of Boris Johnson, suggesting radical rightwing thought and true believers in hard Brexit are in the ascendancy. The biggest contingency in Downing Street is made up of alumni from the successful campaign to leave the EU. Dominic Cummings, the orchestrator of Vote Leave, leads eight of the group’s former staffers in Downing Street, including Lee Cain, now director of communications; Rob Oxley, the prime minister’s press secretary; and Oliver Lewis, a policy expert.

The Great Political Realignment

Telegraph
Up to 30 Labour MPs are prepared to vote for a Brexit deal if Boris Johnson secures fresh concessions from Brussels as the Prime Minister insisted: “The last thing I want to do is call another election.” Although the EU is now working on the hypothesis that Britain plans to leave without a deal, Downing Street appeared to open the door to bringing the Withdrawal Agreement back to parliament by insisting that removing the Irish backstop would represent “significant progress”.

Labour Party

Express
JEREMY CORBYN has threatened to call a no confidence vote in Boris Johnson’s Government ahead of Brexit. Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour Party leader, has threatened to call for a vote of no confidence in the government run by newly elected Boris Johnson in the autumn to prevent a no deal Brexit. The new Prime Minister has said that he will ensure the UK leaves the European Union by the deadline on October 31 “come what may”. Many people including trade organisations, experts and politicians believe no deal Brexit could be “catastrophic” for the country.

Guardian
Labour anti-Brexit activists will lead another push to harden the party’s position in favour of remain at Labour’s annual conference this year, with local parties urged to submit motions committing the party to “campaign energetically” for a second referendum. Grassroots activists, including the pro-remain groups Another Europe is Possible and the youth group For our Future’s Sake (FFS), were behind a major push at last year’s conference in Liverpool which compelled the party to adopt a position that a public vote on Brexit should be an option if a general election could not be forced.

Guardian
Downing Street would be wrong to think it is too late for MPs to stop a no-deal Brexit, Labour has said. The shadow health secretary, Jonathan Ashworth, said on Sunday he did not accept a claim, attributed to Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson’s key adviser, that even if MPs were to pass a vote of no confidence in the prime minister in the autumn, the electoral timetable means any general election would not take place in time to stop the UK from leaving the EU on 31 October. “There will be opportunities for us when parliament returns in September to stop no deal,” Ashworth told Sky News.

Scotland

Times
A majority of Scots back independence as Boris Johnson sets Britain on course for a no-deal Brexit, a poll suggests. Forty-seven per cent back another referendum on independence within the next two years, in line with Nicola Sturgeon’s demand for a new vote by 2021, with 45 per cent disagreeing. According to the poll, 46 per cent would vote Yes to independence and 43 per cent No. This equates to a 52 per cent vote for independence, excluding those who are unsure or would not vote. It was the first lead for an independent Scotland for more than two years.

Express
THE MAJORITY of Scots would now vote for independence in another referendum, according to a shocking new poll conducted amid Boris Johnson‘s threats of a no-deal  Brexit.  Lord Ashcroft’s new poll shows support for independence is at 46 percent for and 43 percent against. When undecided and non-voters are removed, support for independence rises to more than half with 52 per cent for compared to 48 per cent against. Lord Ashcroft revealed the surprising stats on Twitter this morning.

Independent
The majority of Scots would vote for independence in another referendum, according to a shock new poll conducted in the wake of Boris Johnson’s visit to Edinburgh. In a significant blow to the prime minister’s attempts to shore up the union, a survey by pollster Lord Ashcroft put backing for Scottish independence at 46 per cent, with 43 per cent against. Support for independence rose to 52 per cent, with 48 per cent against, when those who said they did not know how they would vote or said they would not vote were removed.

Guardian
Nicola Sturgeon has warned Boris Johnson against blocking a fresh referendum on Scottish independence after a poll found a majority would now vote yes. The first minister said it would be “undemocratic and unsustainable” for the Conservatives to oppose one after the poll by Lord Ashcroft put the yes vote at 52%, once don’t knows and non-voters were excluded. The poll, the first since Johnson’s visit to Scotland last week, also found that most Scots want a fresh independence referendum by 2021, once undecideds were excluded.

TBP

Mail
Nigel Farage has lashed out at ‘arrogant’ Tory calls for the Brexit Party to stand aside in a general election to avoid splitting the Leave vote. The MEP said the failure of the government to get the UK out of the EU by the previous March deadline was the ‘very reason we exist’, adding: ‘We simply do not trust them to deliver’.  Conservative MPs have been urging Mr Farage to decide whether he wants to ‘deliver Brexit or destroy the Tory party‘ – warning he ‘cannot do both’.

Sun
NIGEL Farage has slammed “arrogant” Tory calls for the Brexit Party to stand aside in a general election to avoid splitting the Leave vote. Farage was fuming at the suggestion and said his party are campaigning because the Conservatives cannot be “trusted” to deliver Brexit. The comments come after the arch Euroscpetic vowed to “annihilate” the Tories if Boris Johnson pushes through a fake Brexit based on Theresa May’s hated deal. He fired off a warning shot to the PM that Britain must leave the EU by October 31 – or the Conservatives will face the consequences.

Express
NIGEL FARAGE has furiously rejected calls to stand aside in a potential election pact with the Tories to ensure Brexit is delivered. The risk of Eurosceptic support being divided was shown as Jane Dodds, the Liberal Democrat candidate won the Brecon and Radnorshire by-election. Remain-supporting parties including the Greens, Plaid Cymru, Change UK and the Renew Party, stood aside and supported Ms Dodds. The combined Tory-Brexit vote exceeded the vote of Ms Dodds, and was only 350 votes behind the tally of Ms Dodds combined with fourth-placed Labour, fifth-placed Monster Raving Loony and sixth-placed Ukip.

The Gulf

Times
Britain has launched a naval taskforce with the US to protect commercial shipping in the Gulf after western nations hesitated over UK proposals for a European-led mission. The Ministry of Defence announced the move yesterday hours after Mohammad Javad Zarif, the Iranian foreign minister, said that Washington’s allies were too “ashamed” to join its forces in the region. Two Royal Navy warships are assisting UK-flagged vessels in transit through the Strait of Hormuz and have successfully accompanied 47 merchant ships since a British-registered tanker was seized by Tehran last month.

Independent
Britain is joining the US in a naval mission in the Gulf to protect international shipping following tanker seizures by the Iranian military, a move that reflects the escalating security crisis in the region. Two Royal Navy warships already in the area will be working alongside two US ships to accompany vessels through the Strait of Hormuz, which carries 20 per cent of the world’s oil supplies.

Mirror
Britain is to join a new US-led maritime security mission to protect international shipping in the Gulf – but without the support of EU allies. The Ministry of Defence has said that the Royal Navy would be working with the United States Navy to assure the security of merchant shipping passing through the Strait of Hormuz.  The move follows the seizure last month by Iranian Republican Guards of the British-flagged tanker Stena Impero.

Telegraph
Britain will form a maritime coalition in the Gulf with the United States in order to protect international shipping amid growing tensions with Iran, the Government has announced. The Ministry of Defence has confirmed that the Royal Navy will begin working with the US in order to ensure safe passage for merchant vessels as they pass through the Strait of Hormuz.  The move follows the seizure of the British-flagged tanker the Stena Impero by Iranian Republican Guards last month in retaliation for the impounding of one of its vessels off Gibraltar.

Air travel

ITV News
A planned strike on Tuesday by thousands of workers at Heathrow Airport has been suspended while they vote on a new pay offer. Unite had already called off a walkout due on Monday so that talks could continue. Some flights have already been cancelled but wide-scale disruption has been averted. Members of the Unite union were due to walk out from one minute past midnight on Monday for 48 hours.

Times
Workers at Heathrow have been offered an improved pay deal designed to avert strike action amid the threat of a damaging walkout at the airport over the bank holiday weekend. Britain’s biggest airport is hoping that staff will vote in favour of a new deal to prevent 48 hours of chaos towards the end of this month. It came as a threatened strike yesterday and today was narrowly avoided after talks between airport bosses and leaders of the Unite union.

Telegraph
Heathrow passengers last night demanded compensation for needlessly rearranged plans as unions again called off strike action at the last minute. Holidaymakers complained that they had paid out for new flights and hotels after being told that their flights would likely be cancelled. But only hours before the latest walkout was due to start, the Unite union announced a new pay deal had been struck between workers and airport bosses

Mail
Furious holidaymakers have been left in limbo as Heathrow refuses to reveal how many flights are being cancelled due to tomorrow’s strike. Airport bosses are still in last ditch talks with union officials in a bid to get tomorrow’s walk out called off. But passengers have been left in the dark over flight cancellations for the second day running, with many desperate to know if their planes will take off tomorrow – or even which airport to go to.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email