WA

In an exclusive report, the Sun claims the PM will not bring the Withdrawal Agreement back to the House of Commons next week.

THERESA MAY has abandoned hopes to pass a Brexit deal before the Council Elections – amid pleas from Tory MPs for a “cease fire”.
Insiders said it was now inevitable the Government would wait until AFTER May 2 to even attempt putting its Withdrawal Bill before Parliament.
The Bill is the legislative springboard for leaving the EU.
One senior source said the delay was down to Downing Street being “clueless” over what it can say in the legislation to win a majority in the Commons.

The Express also reports the WA is unlikely to come back to the House of Commons.

THERESA MAY’S hopes of holding another Brexit vote in the next few weeks are fading fast as cross-party talks stall, reports claims.
Mrs May promised she would not hold the imminent European elections next month – three years after the UK voted to leave the EU, according to The Sun. Despite fighting talk emerging against the EU polls, nominations for the EU elections – which could be held on May 23 – closed last night.

Breitbart reports that the Irish backstop could be deleted from the WA.

Minister Theresa May to limit the controversial Irish backstop to one year or remove it completely from her Withdrawal Agreement with the EU.
The call is being headed by the chairman of the influential 1922 Committee, Sir Graham Brady, who is set to table an amendment to Mrs May’s EU-approved Withdrawal Agreement that would alter or remove its Irish “backstop”.

The Guardian claims the backstop could be part of a cunning plan.

It is a dastardly trap, designed to lock freedom-loving Britain into the European Union’s protectionist customs union: that is the argument against the so-called backstop, cited by hardline Brexit advocates as the main reason why they have thrice voted down Theresa May’s deal with the European Union.
But as the dust settles after months of chaos in Westminster, suspicions are growing on the other side of the Channel that the backstop could in fact be the very opposite: a brilliant deception device constructed by crack UK negotiators.

Brexit

The Times claims the country is still split over Brexit.

The British public is just as badly split as MPs over the “best” kind of Brexit or whether it should happen at all, research suggests.
Opinion polls consistently show that the public blame politicians for the impasse. But the study suggests that people should look closer to home.
The research, from University College London, involved interviews with 5,000 voters to establish their views about four broad Brexit options on the table: remain in the EU, leave without a deal, accept Theresa May’s deal or a plan for a softer Brexit of the type advocated by Labour.

And in another exclusive report, the Sun claims the PM could be out by the end of June.

THERESA May could be axed as Prime Minister by the end of June if she fails to secure a Brexit deal, sources claim.
Tory insiders say a new vote of no confidence is inevitable if talks break down.
Sources said the PM will be given marching orders by the “men in grey suits” unless it’s clear by the end of next month that her plan has a chance of succeeding.

Ireland

The death of a journalist in Ireland has persuaded politicians to go back to the negotiating table, says BBC News.

Prime Minister Theresa May and Taoiseach (Irish PM) Leo Varadkar have issued a joint statement setting up a new talks process aimed at restoring devolution in Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley confirmed fresh talks would begin on 7 May.
Earlier this week, the two premiers attended the funeral of Lyra McKee.

Reuters also reports the resumption of talks.

The British and Irish governments announced on Friday a resumption of talks to restore Northern Ireland’s devolved government, spurred into ending a hiatus in dialogue of more than a year by the killing of a journalist last week.
The British-run province has been without a devolved executive for over two years since Irish nationalists Sinn Fein withdrew from the compulsory power-sharing government with the pro-British Democratic Unionist Party (DUP).

ITV News reports the Northern Ireland secretary’s comments.

Journalist Lyra McKee’s death “must not be in vain”, according to Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley, who urged both sides to find a solution to the Stormont deadlock.
Speaking at a press conference today, Ms Bradley announced talks would resume on May 7 to try and break the impasse which has blighted Northern Ireland’s devolved government for more than two years.

Corbyn

The leader of the Labour Party is under pressure, says the Independent.

Jeremy Corbyn is under growing pressure over his party’s position on a second Brexit referendum after a leaked draft of a campaign leaflet included no mention of a Final Say vote.
The Labour leader faced an angry backlash over the flyer, with MPs saying it had triggered “complete meltdown” in the party and left pro-EU MPs “utterly furious”.
As the row deepened, 75 MPs and 14 MEPs wrote to Labour’s governing body to demand that “a clear commitment” to another referendum be included in the party’s manifesto for next month’s European parliament elections.

The Express reports that the Labour leader will snub the US president.

JEREMY CORBYN rejected the invitation to attend the state dinner with Donald Trump taking place in June, saying Theresa May “should not be rolling out the red carpet” to honour the US President.
The leader of the Labour Party launched a scathing attack against Mr Trump, saying his policies and “racist and misogynist rhetoric” don’t deserve a “red carpet”. Mr Corbyn said: “Theresa May should not be rolling out the red carpet for a state visit to honour a President who rips up vital international treaties, backs climate change denial and uses racist and misogynist rhetoric.”

The Telegraph points out that he has supped with terrorists.

Jeremy Corbyn once wrote that he enjoyed “a takeaway dinner” with Hamas chief Khaled Mahal – and yet he is unwilling to dine with the Queen and President Trump at Buckingham Palace.
His decision to snub a state banquet with the so-called leader of the free world is undoubtedly designed to kowtow to his anti-Trump Corbynista fanbase as much as a reflection of his virulent opposition to US foreign policy.

And the Times reports that he found dining with the Queen ‘boring’.

Jeremy Corbyn apparently described the last royal banquet he attended as “one of the most boring nights I have ever had”. So perhaps it is no great surprise that the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition has turned down the Queen’s latest invitation to dinner, this time with Donald Trump.
So far Mr Corbyn has made it to just the one state dinner, thrown in honour of President Xi of China a month after his election as Labour leader. Perhaps it was having to wear white tie, or that his partner, Laura Álvarez, opted not to attend.

Others will also refuse to attend the banquet, reports the Mirror.

Jeremy Corbyn has refused an invitation to a state banquet with Donald Trump.
The Labour leader joins Commons Speaker John Bercow and Lib Dem leader Vince Cable in boycotting the lavish dinner – to be held for the President’s State Visit in June.
He said in a statement: ” Theresa May should not be rolling out the red carpet for a state visit to honour a President who rips up vital international treaties, backs climate change denial and uses racist and misogynist rhetoric.

The Guardian reports his comments that the PM should not be offering Trump a state dinner.

Jeremy Corbyn has declined an invitation to attend a state dinner with Donald Trump when the US president visits the UK in June.
Trump has accepted an invitation to a long-delayed state visit, including a formal white-tie dinner hosted by the Queen.
In a statement, the Labour leader said he disagreed with the prime minister’s decision to offer a formal visit to the US leader and confirmed he would not attend any state dinner.

LibDems

The LibDems have now openly admitted their goal to stop Brexit, reports BBC News.

The Liberal Democrats have launched their European election campaign with an “unambiguous” pledge to stop Brexit.
Leader Sir Vince Cable accused the Conservatives and Labour of a “stitch-up” and said a “people’s vote” was the only way to end the Brexit “paralysis”.
He added it was “a pity” that fellow Remain-backing party Change UK had not agreed to running a combined campaign.

Change UK

And the fiasco over Change UK’s election candidates wasn’t the party’s fault, reports the ‘Remain central’ Times.

Change UK has blamed a vetting company for the fiasco over two European election candidates who stood down soon after they were unveiled.
As anger among the new party’s activists grows over a poor campaign launch, Heidi Allen, the party’s interim leader, said the vetting work had been outsourced. “We paid for a professional top-end vetting company to do that for us,” the former Conservative MP said. “They’ve missed a couple of things.”

The Independent reports the new party’s view that ‘no deal’ should be on the ballot paper if a second referendum is held.

The option of a no-deal Brexit should be on the ballot paper for any second referendum, Change UK interim leader Heidi Allen has suggested.
The South Cambridgeshire MP, who defected from the Conservatives in February to join The Independent Group, said she had “some sympathy” with no deal being an option because it offered a “clean Brexit”.
She suggested that voters could be given a choice between any Brexit deal approved by parliament, remaining in the EU and leaving without an agreement.

Euros

A legal question over the Euro elections is examined in the Express.

THERESA MAY cannot cancel the European elections on May 23 without breaching “human rights” laws, according to a senior barrister.
MEP Change UK candidate and senior barrister, Jessica Simor has said “stopping the EU election at the last minute would likely be illegal”. Ms Simor claimed that if the Prime Minister cancelled the EU elections, she could face legal action from EU citizens residing in the UK. Yet, Mrs May has repeatedly claimed she has until May 22 to cancel the election.

And the Independent reports that the Labour literature for next month’s Euros doesn’t mention a second referendum.

Labour has sparked an angry backlash from its own MPs and members by drawing up a leaflet for next month’s European Parliament elections that makes no mention of a fresh Brexit referendum.
The leaflet pledges that the party will deliver Brexit by seeking “a better deal with Europe” but does not mention its policy of supporting another public vote on any exit deal approved by parliament.

The Guardian reports that the party has denied having to rewrite the leaflet.

Labour has denied being forced to hastily rewrite a leaflet for next month’s European parliamentary elections, after a backlash from pro-remain MPs and MEPs.
The text of a campaign leaflet for the south-west of England sparked fury among supporters of a second referendum, who insist Labour’s backing for the idea in recent House of Commons votes means it is now official party policy.

Security

The aftermath of the leak of Huawei’s plans from the security council is reported in the Telegraph.

Cabinet ministers will be hauled before a leak inquiry this weekend after Theresa May’s hunt for the source of information on the Huawei affair gathered pace.
Mrs May’s chief of staff Gavin Barwell issued a stern warning that if a leaker is discovered they will be sacked, regardless of their rank.
The formal stage of the investigation began on Friday as ministers and their staff were issued with questionnaires.

And the Independent claims their communications records will be examined.

Cabinet ministers will be advised that their telephone and email records, as well as those of their staff, will be “forensically examined” in the investigation into the unprecedented leak from the National Security Council.
Sir Mark Sedwill, the cabinet secretary, has written to all those present at the meeting, from which the decision to involve the Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei in the UK 5G network was leaked, saying he expected full cooperation.

And they will be interviewed on the matter, claims the Times.

Cabinet ministers are expected to be interviewed as part of the government’s inquiry into how sensitive information about the Chinese telecoms company Huawei was leaked from a meeting of the National Security Council.
Gavin Barwell, Theresa May’s chief of staff, is understood to have warned that if the identity of the leaker is established they will be sacked even if they are a serving minister.

Scotland

Wee Burney is getting out of her pram again, reports the Times.

The future of the Union has again been thrown into doubt after a poll revealed that 49 per cent of people in Scotland back independence.
Nicola Sturgeon, the SNP leader and Scotland’s first minister, this week announced fresh plans for a second referendum, which she wants to hold before the Holyrood elections in 2021.
The last poll for this newspaper, carried out in June of last year, showed that Scotland was split exactly as it was in the 2014 referendum, with 55 per cent of people opposed to independence and 45 per cent in favour.

ITV News says the matter will be raised at the SNP conference today.

Listen to all of Scotland to build support for independence, Scotland’s Constitutional Relations Secretary will urge the party faithful at the SNP conference.
Mike Russell will give the opening speech at the party’s spring conference in Edinburgh on Saturday.
He is expected to tell delegates Scotland will become independent if party members “take the right path in the right way”.

Sturgeon is now blaming Brexit, says the Mail.

Nicola Sturgeon today blamed Boris Johnson and Brexit for needing another independence referendum by 2021 – despite four out of five Scots rejecting her new plan.
Only 24 hours after the First Minister accelerated her crusade to break up Britain, a survey revealed she is ignoring the views of the vast majority of Scots.
The poll found 61 per cent of Scots want the country to remain part of the UK and critics say it will be a ‘hammer blow’ for Ms Sturgeon, who claimed polling evidence has shown a shift in support for another vote.

Eurotunnel

There’s a massive lawsuit in the offing, reports the Mail.

Chris Grayling’s headache over a £33million bill to settle a lawsuit over bungled Brexit ferry contracts is back today after P&O launched its own legal challenge against the Government.
The Dover ferry giant believes the huge chunk of taxpayers’ cash handed to its cross-Channel rival should be classed as illegal state aid – and will go to court to prove it.
Eurotunnel agreed a £33million settlement to drop its claim over the ‘secretive’ way the Government awarded lucrative deals for ferry companies to run extra crossings in case of a No Deal.

The Times also reports on the contingency plans.

The government’s no-deal Brexit contingency plans were thrown into further chaos yesterday when it emerged that it was facing a second legal claim over the award of ferry contracts.
P&O, the ferry operator, is taking action against the government over a £33 million payout to Eurotunnel that the ferry operator claims will put it at a competitive disadvantage.

The Guardian reports on the contracts that have been scrapped.

P&O Ferries is suing the government over its £33m settlement with Eurotunnel, in the latest controversy over the Department for Transport’s fraught no-deal Brexit preparations.
The department was forced into the £33m payout after failing to include Eurotunnel in its agreements with ferry operators to provide emergency cross-Channel services, including the scrapped contract with Seaborne Freight.

NHS

Patients are missing their appointments reports the Telegraph.

Nine million patients a year are seeing crucial hospital appointments and operations cancelled by administrators – almost triple the number a decade ago, official statistics show.
Patients groups said too many vulnerable people were being treated as though they were “lucky to get an appointment at all” with slots routinely called off at the last minute, sometimes repeatedly.

The Times reports the progress of new technology.

Patients are to be given access through a phone app to live NHS accident & emergency waiting times information.
The technology will enable people who need urgent treatment to choose the casualty department with the shortest queue. The app will also compare travel times to different hospitals.
Health chiefs hope that the device will ease pressure on hospitals by sending people with minor injuries towards GP-led urgent treatment centres where they can be seen more quickly.

Heathrow

And technology is being introduced at our top airports, says the Times.

Passengers travelling from Heathrow will be able to check in and board their flight without showing a passport from this summer.
A £50 million project to install permanent facial recognition technology at Britain’s biggest airport is intended to reduce time spent passing through by up to a third as travellers will not need to show a boarding pass either. It is the biggest single deployment of biometric technology in the world.
Gatwick confirmed yesterday that it would run a second trial of facial recognition technology next month.

The Sun says we won’t need passports soon.

HEATHROW passengers won’t need to show passports or boarding passes from this summer as Britain’s biggest airport goes hi-tech.
It says the ambitious £50million project will streamline the check-in to take-off process – while chopping the average passenger’s journey through the airport by “up to one-third”.
The new technology uses facial recognition at check-in, bag drops, security lanes and boarding gates to create a seamless experience for passengers travelling through Heathrow.

Aliens

Alien species are among us, reports the Times.

Asking how aliens would combat climate change sounds like a fittingly left-field question for an Oxbridge admissions interview.
It is one that sixth-formers will not have to tackle, however, as it has already been answered by a lecturer at Oxford, who says that aliens share our biosphere and intend to colonise the Earth.
They are interbreeding with humans to create a new hybrid species that will save the planet from annihilation by climate change, according to Young-hae Chi, an instructor in Korean at Oxford’s Oriental Institute.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email