No deal

Sun
ALMOST half of voters think a No Deal Brexit is either nothing to fear, or would have some short term problems but be fine in the long run. A fresh poll has shown that 45 per cent of Brits are less concerned about leaving the EU without a deal than previously thought. The Mail on Sunday revealed research from Deltapoll revealed that more than one in six thought No Deal was “nothing to fear” and almost a third thought it would have some short term issues but “few consequences”. But just under a third said there would be “severe consequences” – showing the country is still divided over Brexit. The poll also showed that 35 per cent of Brits though Boris Johnson’s stance on a No Deal Brexit had made them more likely to support him. The ex-Foreign Secretary said we should leave the EU on October 31, whether there’s a deal in place or not. A poll of Tory members showed he’s sailing ahead among them too, with 39 per cent of them backing him.

Westmonster
Just 30% of the British public believe there would be a significant downside to a clean exit from the European Union. The survey by Deltapoll for the Mail on Sunday revealed less than a third considered a ‘no-deal’ Brexit would have “severe consequences”. In contrast, 45% of those polled believed there would either be “short-term problems but few consequences” or there would be “nothing to fear” from breaking ties with Brussels. The research shows how disconnected many of the Conservative leadership candidates are with the public after Michael Gove and Jeremy Hunt have both ruled out no-deal as an option.

Tory leadership

Mail
Michael Gove’s Tory leadership campaign appeared to be building momentum last night despite Brexiteer fury over his No Deal stance. The Environment Secretary now has the declared support of 26 MPs – three more than his nearest rival Boris Johnson. Mr Gove has yet to publicly set out his Brexit strategy but sources made clear yesterday that he believed a chaotic No Deal could let Jeremy Corbyn into No 10.

Telegraph
Matt Hancock claims to have got a head start on other candidates in the Tory leadership race by selling his personal Brexit plan to receptive figures in Brussels. The Health Secretary has published a five-point plan for leaving the EU which includes a time limit to the Irish backstop, the controversial issue that killed off Theresa May’s own Brexit deal. Mr Hancock has said a no deal Brexit is “not available” to the next Prime Minister and wants to be able to hit the ground running if he upsets the odds and gets the job

Guardian
The UK should allow complete freedom of movement for medics from around the world, the Tory leadership hopeful Matt Hancock will pledge on Monday. The health secretary, who is one of main contenders from the party’s centre-left in the 13-strong race to be the next prime minister, will promise to lift all immigration restrictions for qualified doctors and nurses of any nationality who have secured a job in the NHS. Hancock will use a speech on the future of NHS staffing to outline his plan if he becomes the next prime minister.

Westmonster
Tory leadership contenders are talking about a delay to Brexit beyond 31st October and a second referendum. Absolutely bonkers. Michael Gove has told Cabinet Ministers that he may delay the UK’s EU exit until the end of 2020, according to The Telegraph. That’s because he won’t back a No Deal Brexit and any possibility of a General Election. Not sure the British public will be very impressed by yet another extension of the process. Meanwhile, Remainer Sam Gymiah also announced on Sky News that he would be standing – with a policy of a second referendum.

Sun
BORIS Johnson will unveil his masterplan for a high-speed Brexit and warn EU chiefs: It’s Bo deal or no deal.  The Tory leadership favourite has been working for months on details for a “sensible” and “responsible” new withdrawal agreement. It includes a ideas from a series of “listening” workshops with other MPs. BoJo will step up his drive for the top job this week by revealing a list of top MPs endorsing him. He hopes to get a third of the Parliamentary party on board behind him for the first round, which will all but guarantee him a place in the final head-to-head run off

iNews
Andrea Leadsom has ruled out further attempts to renegotiate the Brexit deal, pledging to take the UK out of Europe in a “managed exit” if Conservative MPs and members back her as the next prime minister. Speaking on the BBC’s The Andrew Marr Show on Sunday, the Tory leadership hopeful stated that the UK must leave the EU without a deal on 31 October, adding that the Withdrawal Agreement Bill was “dead” and that the UK parliament wouldn’t vote for it. The former leader of the House of Commons, who resigned days before Theresa May announced her departure, also said that she would not support a second referendum.

Telegraph
Boris Johnson plans to spend at least £5,000 on every secondary school pupil in a pledge to “level up” Britain’s education system, in his first domestic policy proposal. The leadership contender said he wants to reverse cuts to schools and correct the “yawning funding gap” between pupils in London and the rest of the country. Writing in the Daily Telegraph, Mr Johnson said there was now a “growing gulf” between the South East and other regions “in GDP, and even in some cases in ambition”. “It is simply not sustainable that funding per pupil should be £6,800 in parts of London and £4,200 in some other parts of the country,” he said.

Mail
Sajid Javid admitted yesterday that he had changed his mind on the link between police numbers and crime and pledged to put up to 20,000 more bobbies on the beat. Last year, the Home Secretary and Tory leadership candidate claimed in a TV interview there was no connection between the rise in crime and a fall in police numbers. But yesterday he said: ‘What I’ve realised is that you do need many more police resources.’

Mirror
Soft Brexit Tory Amber Rudd has shredded hopes she could be Boris Johnson’s running mate after talks collapsed over a private dinner. The Work and Pensions Secretary binned weeks of rumours of a ‘dream ticket’, dubbed ‘Bamber’, after Mr Johnson refused to rule out No Deal Brexit on October 31. She is now expected to back anti-no-deal candidates Matt Hancock or Michael Gove. Ms Rudd – who has ruled out running herself – said “we need to start being honest” and “straight with the British people” about the fact MPs will try to prevent a No Deal Brexit .

Sun
EX-minister Sam Gyimah has become the 13th candidate to enter the Tory leadership race – promising a second referendum where Brexit could be stopped. The former Universities minister, who quit the Government last year so he could back another divisive vote on leaving the EU, said he wanted to broaden the debate. So far no other candidate has endorsed a second Brexit referendum, and all have promised we will still leave the EU. Mr Gyimah said he would give the people another choice, three years after Britain voted to Leave. He said the public would be able to vote for a version of Theresa May’s deal, No Deal, or Remain in the UK, he told Sky’s Sophy Ridge on Sunday this morning.

TBP

Telegraph (by Nigel Farage)
I am the first to admit that political polls must be taken with a pinch of salt. Their main purpose is to provide a snapshot of public opinion. They often do this perfectly adequately, but only the most complacent political party would ever rely on them wholeheartedly. With that said, history was made at the weekend. For the first time, the Brexit Party topped a national opinion poll. The survey, carried out by polling company Opinium on behalf of The Observer, asked people how they would vote in the next general election. The party I lead was reported to be on 26 per cent – that is four points ahead of the Labour Party and nine points ahead of the Conservative Party.

Independent
The Brexit Party has topped a general election voting intention poll for the very first time, according to a new survey. Nigel Farage’s insurgent outfit was found to be the most popular party on 26 per cent, ahead of Labour on 22 per cent, in the poll asking voters how they will cast their ballots at the next Westminster election. The Conservatives are third on just 17 per cent, with the Liberal Democrats on 16 per cent and the Greens on 11 per cent, according to the poll carried out by Opinium for The Observer.

Breitbart
Nigel Farage’s newly-formed Brexit Party have sensationally topped the opinion polls in national elections for the first time, with Nigel Farage hailing it as a “historic moment”. The poll by Opinium showed that, in the event of a general election, the Brexit Party would be the largest party in Parliament with 26 per cent of the vote. The Labour Party came second on 22 per cent and the governing Conservative Party in third place on 17 per cent, followed by the Liberal Democrats on 16 per cent. The Green Party received 11 per cent — a significant rise for them from just four per cent in the last Opinium poll. Meanwhile, the anti-Brexit Change UK (CUK) party achieved just one per cent.

Sun
NIGEL Farage has hailed a “historic” new poll putting the Brexit Party on TOP in a general election. The Brexit Party boss is on 26 per cent in a fresh voting intention survey. The new poll, released last night from Opinium, had Labour trailing behind on 22 per cent and the Tories even lower on just 17 per cent. It shows the two main parties floundering as voters abandon them for failing to get us out of the EU. And Remainer parties the Lib Dems and the Greens have seen huge boosts too as they try desperately to keep us in.

Mail
Nigel Farage says the UK would be in ‘a better place’ if President Trump had handled Brexit negotiations after a new poll put his party on top for the first time ever. Mr Farage was speaking to a caller on his weekly LBC show about the impending arrival of Donald Trump for his state visit this week, when he suggested the US president might have been more successful in the Brexit negotiations. The Brexit Party leader said: ‘If Donald Trump’s team had been in charge of these negotiations we would in a much better place than we are.’

UKIP

Sun
UKIP leader Gerard Batten quit as the head of the party today after a disastrous European Election result saw him lose his seat. The poll mauling saw Ukip lose every single one of their MEPs, while Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party came out as the biggest winners. Batten’s party lost its London seat – a seat Ukip has had since 2004. Ukip’s controversial candidate Carl Benjamin also failed to get elected, and was condemned during the EU election campaign for comments he made about Labour MP Jess Phillips. Before the results were confirmed Batten had said his position as leader would be “untenable” if he lost his MEP seat.

NHS

Independent
Donald Trump‘s British envoy has sparked fury with claims that access to the NHS would be “on the table” in post-Brexit  trade deal with the US. Woody Johnson, the US ambassador to the UK, said the “entire economy” would be included in transatlantic negotiations, which could include allowing American private firms to bid for NHS contracts. In an interview ahead of Mr Trump’s state visit, Mr Johnson said the US was already “looking at all the components of the deal and trying to get everything lined up so when the time comes we’re ready to go”. Asked if healthcare would be part of the deal, he told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show: “I think probably the entire economy, in a trade deal all things that are traded will be on the table.”

Mirror
Chlorine-washed chicken and US firms’ involvement in British healthcare would be “on the table” for a post-Brexit trade deal, Donald Trump’s ambassador has said. Woody Johnson, the US Ambassador to the UK, said chlorinated chicken is “as safe as anything in Europe”, adding: “If [people] don’t want it they don’t have to buy it.” He added “all things that are traded will be on the table” in “the entire economy” – including healthcare – in talks over an US-UK trade deal after Britain leaves. Under  Theresa May , Downing Street has insisted “we will not lower our food standards” and said “the NHS is not for sale and it never will be”.

Prostate cancer

Telegraph
Thousands of men with incurable prostate cancer are set to benefit from a “search-and-destroy” type of radiotherapy that doctors believe is “the next big thing” in treating the disease. The method, which targets cancer cells with a nuclear payload, was hailed as potentially game-changing by experts at the world’s biggest cancer conference. Although results are only now starting to emerge, doctors said that targeting radioactive chemicals precisely to kill tumour cells while avoiding side-effects could be a huge step for men with prostate cancer. Every year 47,000 British men develop the disease.

Mail
A radical ‘seek and destroy’ treatment could extend the lives of thousands of men with advanced prostate cancer. The approach – described by experts as ‘game changing’ – uses high-tech molecules to track down tumours anywhere in the body and blast them with a radioactive payload. The breakthrough ‘PSMA’ radiotherapy treatment became available privately in Britain for the first time last week – with two men already treated. Thousands more are expected to benefit if global trials currently under way come back with positive results, providing the key to NHS approval.

D-Day

Telegraph
When he set sail 75 years ago it was as part of the largest seaborne invasion in history; an armada of 7,000 ships so vast bystanders observed one could practically walk across the English Channel. On Sunday night as the sun dipped over the White Cliffs of Dover and MV Boudicca powered out across a glittering millpond sea, Fred Brunt found himself once more aboard a ship heading to the beaches of Northern France – for the very first time since D Day. “It’s hard to say why I’ve never been back,” says Brunt, who back on June 6, 1944 was a young able seaman and the coxswain of a landing craft transporting a tank on to Sword Beach during the first wave of Operation Overlord.

Sun
AS his landing craft made its way to Juno beach, Alan King found himself surrounded by flames . . . and the heads, arms and legs of dismembered British soldiers floating ashore. It is 75 years since he witnessed the carnage of the first assault on D-Day but the memory reduces him to tears. He still can not bring himself to go into the sea. On the sleeve of his jacket bedecked with medals, Alan proudly wears a tiny seahorse badge. This one-inch square of bright embroidery was given only to those who were first to storm ashore on D-Day. Their chances of being killed or maimed in that first wave on to the Normandy beaches on the morning of June 6, 1944, were even higher than at World War One’s Battle of the Somme.

ITV News
Two fearless D-Day veterans in their nineties are to parachute into Normandy 75 years after they first landed there. Harry Read, 95, and John Hutton, 94, will take part in the descent on Wednesday to commemorate the anniversary of the landings. Now a retired Salvation Army officer living in Bournemouth, Dorset, Mr Read was a 20-year-old wireless operator with the Royal Signals who had a battery the size and weight of a toolbox strapped to his right leg when he was pushed out of the plane in the early hours of June 6 1944. Mr Hutton – known by his friends as Jock – was 19 when he served in the 13th Lancashire Parachute Battalion. Among some 280 paratroopers, the pair will board a Dakota aircraft in Duxford, Cambridgeshire, and fly to Sannerville with the Red Devils, where they will perform a tandem jump and land in fields used as a “drop zone” for the 8th (Midlands) Parachute Battalion, who went on to destroy bridges in a bid to restrict German movements during the missions.

Loch Ness Monster

Sun
THE Loch Ness Monster may exist, following scientists’ analysis of skin, scales, feathers, fur and poo found in the water. Experts did DNA tests on the samples to probe theories including claims Nessie is a long-necked plesiosaur that survived the mass dinosaur extinction, a sturgeon or giant catfish. Prof Neil Gemmell, of the University of Otago in New Zealand, said: “We’ve tested each of the main monster hypotheses. “Three we can probably say aren’t right. One might be.” Prof Gemmell said he hoped to announce the full findings of the study in Scotland next month – but would not confirm which hypothesis might be right. “Is there anything deeply mysterious? Hmm. It depends what you believe. Is there anything startling? There are a few things that are a bit surprising.

Star
The LOCH Ness monster could be “real” after scientists make breakthrough with a surprising new discovery. Researchers have been collecting DNA left by creatures on the Scottish loch as part of a major scientific study. Water samples have been taken from three different depths and the DNA of living forms have been examined. This includes their skin, scales, fur and faeces. Labs in Australia, New Zealand, Denmark and France have been analysing the samples.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email