Viv has asked me to tell you that she is taking a short break from her Betrayal column to recharge her batteries.
Don’t worry – she’ll be back! 

Brexit 

Express
THE SNP have failed in a bid to change new UK rules implemented in the wake of Brexit on the EU Settlement Scheme.
The SNP led a debate and vote in the Commons this afternoon calling for an emergency extension to the EU Settlement Scheme. The party claims thousands of EU citizens risk losing their right to live and work in the UK if the scheme is not extended. SNP MP Stuart McDonald, who led the debate, said the UK was “heading full steam towards another Tory Windrush scandal” – with EU citizens, who have lived in the UK for years or decades, losing their rights.
The party’s Home Affairs spokesperson, added: “It is utterly shameful that Tory MPs have voted against an emergency extension to the EU settlement scheme, and have taken a decision which will leave thousands of EU citizens at risk of losing their rights to live and work in the UK.
“The UK is heading full steam towards another Tory Windrush scandal. EU citizens who have lived in the UK for years and decades could lose their rights and face the full force of the hostile environment.
“Boris Johnson promised EU citizens that they would get automatic leave to remain – but, yet again, he has broken his word and thrown EU citizens under the Brexit bus.
“Scotland voted overwhelmingly against Brexit, yet, Scottish Tory MPs have failed to back an emergency extension to the settlement scheme – threatening the rights of EU citizens across Scotland.” 

Mail
Boris Johnson today demanded the EU make ‘repairs’ to the Northern Ireland Protocol as the row over the Brexit agreement continued to simmer today.
The Prime Minister repeated his complaint that Brussels is taking an ‘excessively legally purist’ approach to implementing the international agreement he signed off at the end of last year.
The two sides have clashed over the UK’s unilateral decision to extend a grace period for checks on perishable goods including chilled meats between Britain and Northern Ireland.
The grace period, which was due to end at the end of June, has now been extended, but Mr Johnson was challenged over a long-term solution by eurosceptic Tory David Jones at Prime Minister’s Questions today. 
Former minister Mr Jones said the extension amounts to a ‘temporary sticking plaster’ and demanded the UK ‘do whatever is necessary – legislative or otherwise – to fix the problem permanently’.
Mr Johnson replied: ‘There remains very serious problems in what I believe is the misapplication, the excessively legally purist application of that deal, of that protocol, and what we’re hoping for is some progress from the European Commission, some repairs that I think they should make to the way that this is working.’
It came after the European Commission’s Brexit envoy Maros Sefcovic yesterday raised the prospect of heightened sanctions from Brussels, including regular fines. 

Trade 

Express
A TRADE row between Brussels and London threatened to erupt tonight after UK ministers banned the import of seed potatoes from EU countries in a victory for Scottish farmers.
The Department for Food, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) restricted the imports of seed potatoes from the European Union after deciding not to renew a six-month authorisation. The six-month grace period had allowed imports from European Countries since the end of the Brexit transition period on January 1.
But Ministers will now consider applications to market imported seed potatoes from the bloc on a case-by-case basis following an industry-wide consultation.
It comes after the European Union refused repeated requests by UK ministers to authorise the export of seed potatoes from Britain since January 1, 2021.
Brussels has banned the export of seed spuds from Great Britain to the EU since 31 December 2020 after the Trade and Cooperation Agreement failed to agree equivalence on the goods.
A Defra spokesperson added: “This approach recognises the fact that the UK is broadly self-sufficient in the total quantity of seed potato production, while retaining a mechanism to consider future marketing authorisations as necessary. 

EU 

Express
URSULA VON DER LEYEN has been ordered to take action against Hungary as the EU’s unity hangs in the balance.
Despite repeated attacks on Hungary over its rule of law, the European Commission president has been savaged for her failure to punish the state. Following the introduction of a new law banning materials featuring homosexuality, one MEP has criticised Ms von der Leyen for failing to take action against Hungary. With Hungary continuing to go against the warnings of the Commission for violating the EU’s values, German MEP Sven Giegold claimed Ms von der Leyen has allowed member states to undermine the bloc.
He said: “Von der Leyen did not announce one new actual measure.
“The basic problem in dealing with rule of law problems in EU countries is a lack of consequences.
“The EU Commission does too little and acts too slowly.
“Not only in Hungary, but also in Poland, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Malta and Cyprus.
“The EU Commission’s hesitant and inconsistent action will not stop any government in Europe from undermining the rule of law.”
The EU had demanded Hungary revoke the new law which came into force today.
Although Ms von der Leyen condemned the new legislation, MEPs have demanded the Commission President go further and withhold funds linked to the new coronavirus recovery budget. 

Gibraltar 

Express
GIBRALTAR will not be afraid to “take on” the EU to achieve the best Brexit treaty possible, the Rock’s Chief Minister has said.
The British Overseas Territory is not covered by the UK’s Trade and Cooperation Agreement and separate negotiations with the EU are set to take place to agree a post-Brexit treaty. London, Gibraltar and Madrid wanted talks for the cooperation treaty could be concluded by the end of June.
However, the timeline was delayed as the European Commission was yet to conclude seeking a mandate from the European Council.
In a sign that upcoming negotiations with the bloc may be tough, Fabian Picardo warned once the mandate is presented, it could contain aspects not to the Rock’s liking as well as the UK.
He added: “We must all realise that when the mandate does emerge, it will be the EU’s opening position, it will not be the treaty itself.
“As an opening position, it will contain the EU’s initial approach to the treaty.” 

Freedom Day 

Independent
Boris Johnson is facing calls to abandon plans to remove almost all remaining Covid restrictions as a coalition of over 100 scientists and doctors warn it is a “dangerous and unethical experiment”.
After Sajid Javid, the health secretary, admitted daily cases could exceed 100,000 in the summer as measures are lifted on 19 July, the experts stressed there are “grave risks” involved in what they described as an “illogical” policy.
The letter – published today in the medical journal The Lancet – claims ministers’ strategy amid surging cases of the Delta variant “provides fertile ground for the emergence of vaccine-resistant” variants.
The 122 signatories also warn that unmitigated transmission will “disproportionately” affect children and young people who have not been offered a vaccine, with high circulation of the virus leading to “significant educational disruption” — despite the scrapping of school bubbles.
It follows the prime minister’s announcement at a No 10 press conference on Monday that all rules on social distancing, including the requirement to wear masks, will be lifted in just under a fortnight if the 19 July date is rubber-stamped next week. 

Covid 

Mail
Britain’s daily Covid cases have breached 30,000 for the first time since January when the second wave was still raging — and deaths have more than doubled in a week.
Department of Health figures show there were 32,548 new infections across the UK in the past 24 hours, up by a quarter on last week and the highest number since January 23. 
Another 33 Covid deaths were also registered overnight, which was more than twice as many as last Wednesday when there were 14.
Latest figures show there were 386 Covid admissions on July 3, an increase of about 45 per cent on the previous week and double the number in early June. Like cases, hospitalisations now appear to be growing exponentially.
But the ‘vaccine effect’ means there are still 10 times fewer patients being admitted each day now compared to late January when daily infections were last this high.
No10 is pressing on with Freedom Day on July 19 despite the fact cases are doubling every nine days and are expected to soar past 100,000 by August. The highest daily case count so far was 68,000 on January 8.  
Ministers have grown increasingly confident in the jab rollout, which saw another 86,000 first and 153,000 second doses administered yesterday. It means 86 per cent of adults have had one jab and 65 per cent have had both. 

Evening Standard
Covid cases are set to start falling in August because the virus will “run out of people to infect”, the Government believes.
Data modelling due over the coming days is hoped to confirm that the turning point in Britain’s pandemic is likely to come this summer. Ministers believe the peak could be reached next month as the disease rips through people who are unvaccinated and those who have only had a single jab.
After that, the number of new infections should come down, giving the country its greatest hope yet that the war against Covid is reaching an end.
Department of Health officials have reportedly coined the term “hybrid immunity” to describe the protection from vaccinating older, more vulnerable people, combined with a mixture of vaccinations and natural immunity in the young.
Senior sources have told the Standard that although different models give different timings, there is rising confidence that the releasing of restrictions on July 19 will not be reversed.
“The modelling will give a more accurate indication of when a peak will occur,” said a source.
“Mid-August is broadly where we believe it will come. It will run through the unvaccinated and the single-dosed, but because such vast numbers of people now have antibodies and can resist it, it will then start falling off because it will run out of people to infect.” So far Britain has vaccinated 64.3 per cent of over-18s with two doses, which give around 92 per cent protection against serious illness, and delivered at least one dose to a total of 86.2 per cent. 

Guardian
Hospitals are again having to cancel operations, including cancer surgery, because they are treating growing numbers of patients with Covid and losing staff who are having to isolate.
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS trust has had to call off some planned non-urgent operations this week to help it cope with an influx of patients who have been left seriously ill with Covid.
Other hospitals and ambulance services are also coming under serious pressure in what NHS staff believe is an unfolding third wave of Covid, which they fear will get worse in the next few weeks.
“Drawing on experience from previous waves of the pandemic we are enacting plans to help us treat increased numbers of Covid admissions while still providing care to those patients waiting for scheduled operations,” said Dr Phil Wood, the Leeds trust’s chief medical officer.
“While every patient’s care is important to us, we have had to postpone some planned elective operations to ensure patients who require urgent treatment are prioritised,” he added.
“Along with the rest of the NHS we are seeing an increase in patients admitted to our hospitals with Covid-19.” 

Times
NHS leaders have urged the government to lift self-isolation requirements early for fully vaccinated health workers in an attempt to ease staff shortages.
Their request came as Boris Johnson defended the delay in bringing in the new rules as “the prudent approach” after criticism from business leaders.
Virtually all coronavirus restrictions  end in England on July 19 but mandatory self-isolation after contact with an infected person will remain until August 16, when it will lift for those who have had both jabs.
Chris Hopson, chief executive of NHS providers, said “very high pressure on staffing levels” was likely to be exacerbated as cases rise after remaining restrictions are removed. 

Mail
Nine in ten adults now have Covid antibodies as the vaccine rollout pushes Britain close to herd immunity, official data shows. 
Blood testing by the Office for National Statistics found 89.8 per cent of over-16s in England have some immunity to the virus. 
This is up from 79.6 per cent in May, reflecting the success of the vaccine rollout. 
Antibodies are produced after vaccination or infection and fight off the virus. 
The ONS data is based on tests of tens of thousands of adults in the week beginning June 14. 
Antibody levels were highest in older adults – 97 per cent of those aged between 60 and 79 tested positive. 
But just six in ten of those aged 16 to 24 tested positive, meaning millions of younger adults remain susceptible. 
Yet the data suggests the UK may be approaching herd immunity. 
Experts believe around 85 per cent of the total population needs antibodies to reach this threshold.  

Education 

Telegraph
Boris Johnson has said he believes extending the school day is “the right thing to do” as he admitted on Wednesday that disruption caused to pupils by Covid had been “debilitating”.
Reviving hopes that ministers could still lengthen the school day, Mr Johnson told MPs  “the question” now was about how the additional time should be used. 
Appearing before the Commons liaison committee, he said ministers would do a “proper review” and consider whether pupils should be given more academic teaching or enrichment activities or a “mixture” of both. 
Describing catch-up for pupils as the “most important investment we can make”, the Prime Minister added that there was no question children had lost “unconscionable amounts of teaching” because of the pandemic. 
It comes several weeks after Sir Kevan Collins, the former catch-up tsar, quit after Mr Johnson sided with Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor, and refused to sign off on a £15 billion rescue package which included extending the school day. 
Asked why he had not adopted the proposal, Mr Johnson said: “The evidence on timetable, the evidence on lengthening the school day, wasn’t as powerful as it was on tuition, for instance. But that doesn’t mean it’s not the right thing to do, I do think it’s the right thing to do.
“The question is how you do it, what sorts of activities, is it enrichment, is it academic, what’s the mixture?” 

Universal credit 

Morning Star
THE government has been urged to reverse “callous and shameful” plans to phase out the £20 “uplift” to universal credit in autumn that was announced today by ministers.
Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey said today that those receiving the uplift, described as a lifeline by campaigners, will start to see an adjustment to their payments from October.
The government is going ahead with the cuts despite widespread opposition to ending the uplift, including from former work and pensions secretaries, among them Iain Duncan Smith, once dubbed the “architect of austerity.”
Addressing the work and pensions committee, Ms Coffey said: “Ahead of October we will start communicating with the current claimants … to make them aware that will be being phased out and they will start to see an adjustment in their payments.”
Following the announcement, Labour’s shadow work and pensions secretary Jonathan Reynolds warned the move will “hit the lowest paid hardest and hurt our economic recovery.”
He said: “There is near universal opposition to this cut, including from prominent Conservatives.
“It is time the government saw sense, backed struggling families and cancelled its cut to universal credit.”
His Scottish counterpart Ian Murray MP also urged the government to reverse the “shameful and callous cut” to the benefit.
Campaigners argue that the uplift — worth about £1,000 a year — is preventing thousands of families from falling into poverty. 

Olympics 

Mail
The Japanese government are set to declare another state of emergency in Tokyo covering the duration of the Olympics, increasing the prospect of all spectators being banned.
Japan’s capital city is currently under a quasi-state of emergency, which is due to expire on Sunday. But just two weeks out from the Games, the country’s strongest measures are now expected to be reintroduced up to August 22 because of a spike in coronavirus cases.
That decision, to be announced on Thursday, will have a major knock-on effect on the Olympics, which runs from July 23 to August 8.