Diplomatic leaks

Following the resignation of Sir Kim Darroch, Reuters reports that the culprit has been identified.

The suspect behind the leak of confidential memos from Britain’s Washington ambassador, which sparked a major diplomatic rift with the United States, has been identified, the Sunday Times newspaper reported.
Last week, Britain’s Mail on Sunday newspaper published memos from Kim Darroch in which he described Donald Trump’s administration as “inept” and “dysfunctional”, prompting an angry response from the U.S. president and causing the envoy to announce his resignation.

And there are further revelations in today’s Mail.

Donald Trump abandoned the Iran nuclear deal as an act of ‘diplomatic vandalism’ to spite his predecessor Barack Obama, Britain’s Ambassador to Washington wrote in a bombshell memo to Downing Street.
Sir Kim Darroch’s claim – made after Boris Johnson  made a doomed trip to the White House to change the President’s mind – is revealed in leaked cables and briefing notes which led to Sir Kim’s resignation last week.
The new revelation comes after an extraordinary row over the freedom of the press blew up this weekend, with Mr Johnson and leadership rival Jeremy Hunt leading the condemnation of Scotland Yard over its threats to prosecute this newspaper.

The Mail also has a piece from one of the Tory leadership contenders.

Jeremy Hunt has spoken out about the leaker who cost Britain’s US ambassador his job and said they ‘must be held fully to account’.
Sir Kim Darroch’s emails were released to the Mail on Sunday last weekend and revealed he had called Donald Trump‘s administration ‘clumsy and inept’.
President Trump hit back and denounced him as a ‘very stupid guy’ and a ‘pompous fool’, vowing he would never work with him in his position as ambassador.

And the Times has tied the Brexit Party into the revelations.

The chairman of Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party was last night embroiled in the “Trump files” leak scandal as it emerged that he is in a relationship with the writer whose story brought down Britain’s ambassador to Washington.
Richard Tice, a Brexit Party MEP, is dating Isabel Oakeshott, who last week published leaked diplomatic cables in which Sir Kim Darroch branded Donald Trump “clumsy and inept”, forcing Darroch’s resignation when the president announced he would not work with him.

Press freedom

But should the press be allowed to publish these leaks?  The Mail thinks so.

Conservative leadership rivals Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt are leading the condemnation against Scotland Yard after a senior officer threatened to prosecute the Mail on Sunday for publishing leaked cables written by British ambassador Sir Kim Darroch.
The leaked documents revealed how Sir Kim, the UK’s man in Washington, called US president Donald Trump ‘inept’, ‘insecure’ and ‘incompetent’.

Looks like the police have later backtracked, reports Sky News.

The Metropolitan Police have said they “respect the rights of the media” following a warning to journalists, seen as a direct attack on press freedom.
Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu had earlier suggested the media could face prosecution if they published any more leaked government memos.
But this afternoon, he issued a fresh statement saying he had “no intention of seeking to prevent editors from publishing stories in the public interest in a liberal democracy”.

The Telegraph claims it was the cabinet office who called in the police.

Theresa May and her most senior officials were dragged into a row over press freedom last night after it emerged that the Cabinet Office called in the police officer who threatened to prosecute anyone who published leaked diplomatic cables.
Senior lawyers said that Neil Basu, the head of the Metropolitan Police’s specialist operations appeared to have set out to “protect the Government from embarrassment” after he issued a warning that the publication of the leaked memos could in itself be “a criminal matter.”

Yahoo News hits out at the decision.

Scotland Yard’s warning to the media about publishing more leaked diplomatic cables from Britain’s ambassador to the US has been deemed unacceptable and akin to the approach of a “totalitarian” regime.
The Society of Editors and former chancellor George Osborne have both criticised the Metropolitan Police for encroaching on press freedom after launching a criminal investigation into the leak of diplomatic dispatches sent by Sir Kim Darroch.

And ITV News claims the police are under fire over the issue.

Scotland Yard has come under fire after warning journalists they could face prosecution if they publish any more leaked diplomatic cables from Britain’s ambassador to the US.
Tory leadership contenders Boris Johnson  and Jeremy Hunt both strongly defended the right of the press to publish leaked government documents, amid anger at the police intervention.

The Guardian says the threats are dangerous.

A POLICE chief was branded “stupid and dangerous” yesterday for threatening to prosecute journalists reporting the contents of secret documents.
Neil Basu warned editors may face court if they failed to hand over official papers as he launched a hunt for the mole who leaked comments by the Brit ambassador about President Donald Trump.
Scotland Yard’s assistant commissioner Mr Basu revealed that counter-terrorism cops would investigate alleged criminal breaches of the Official Secrets Act following the release to the Press of the secret diplomatic cables from 2017.

Project Fear

Europhiles have issued more dire warnings about no-deal in the Independent.

The cost of compensating UK businesses for a no-deal Brexit will reach £22bn a year – more than half of England’s schools budget – a landmark analysis of the impact of crashing out of the EU has found.
The study, seen by The Independent, warns that industries including cars, chemicals, textiles and aircraft, as well as much of agriculture, would all need hefty bailouts from punishing new charges.
Its findings were immediately condemned as “shocking and devastating” by one former Conservative cabinet minister, who urged fellow MPs to rise up to stop no deal.

And two of the top anti-Brexiteers have spoken out to the Express.

CABINET duo Philip Hammond and Greg Clark infuriated Brexiteer Tory MPs yesterday by urging Britain’s next prime minister to avoid a no-deal Brexit.
Business Secretary Mr Clark said the next Downing Street administration – expected to be led by Boris Johnson – should “strain every sinew” to avoid leaving the EU without a withdrawal agreement. He also claimed leaving the bloc without a deal would lead to “many thousands” of job losses.

The chancellor warns of a split between the government and the treasury in the Times.

Boris Johnson will have “no way” of controlling events in a no-deal Brexit and his premiership would be at the mercy of France, Philip Hammond has declared.
The chancellor’s comments set up a titanic government split between the likely prime minister and the Treasury.

Tory leadership

Meanwhile, Boris and Jeremy are still fighting for the top job.  The Mail speculates that Hunt could be demoted in a Boris government.

Jeremy Hunt faces the humiliation of being offered a Cabinet demotion after infuriating Boris Johnson  with his relentless negative campaigning.
There are growing doubts about whether Mr Hunt will take a job in the Cabinet because the Foreign Secretary has made it clear he would only accept a ‘top four’ position as Chancellor, or Secretary of State for Defence, the Foreign Office or Home Office.

The candidates have opined on immigration in the Times.

The two candidates vying to be prime minister set out their stalls on immigration yesterday, with Boris Johnson renewing his pledge for an illegal immigrant amnesty, while Jeremy Hunt admitted he felt “guilt” about “importing” doctors from impoverished nations.
Johnson, the front-runner in the Tory leadership contest, argued that illegal immigrants who had been in the country for “12 years or more” and had worked hard should have their criminal status rescinded.

But the pro-Europe Independent claims Boris’s majority could be down to one.  Wouldn’t Hunt have a similar majority if he became PM?

Boris Johnson’s working majority in the House of Commons could be reduced to a single seat soon after he takes office if he wins the race to succeed Theresa May, Conservative MPs have warned.
And one member of the government admitted the wafer-thin margin which allows the Tories to govern with the support of the Democratic Unionist Party is likely to melt away altogether long before the next scheduled general election in 2022.
Mr Johnson has dismissed talk of a snap election, but the member of government said the new prime minister will be lucky if parliamentary arithmetic allows him to hold on for much more than 18 months.

Labour Party

The Mail the Labour leader’s additional problems.

Jeremy Corbyn is at war with his own son over the ‘Stalinist’ clique around the Labour leader, senior party sources have claimed to The Mail on Sunday.
Seb Corbyn, 27, who works for Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell, is said to have told his father that the tiny Left-wing clique dubbed the ‘4Ms’, led by strategy boss Seumas Milne, have ‘too much power’ in the operation.
Corbyn’s Praetorian guard, who also include chief of staff Karie Murphy, union baron Len McCluskey and adviser Andrew Murray, a former Communist Party member, have been blamed for the bitter infighting in the party over Brexit policy and the anti-Semitism scandal.

And the party’s anti-semitism problems have not gone away.  Sky News reports the prospect of legal action.

Two former Labour officials who criticised the party’s handling of cases of alleged antisemitism are planning to take legal action against the party.
Sam Matthews and Louise Withers Green, who featured in a BBC Panorama investigation into antisemitism in the party, believe they were defamed by Labour in its response to their allegations.
The programme included claims that senior figures including Jeremy Corbyn’s communications chief Seumas Milne and general secretary Jennie Formby – had interfered in antisemitism investigations.

The Guardian also has the story.

The Labour high command is to be sued by former employees who broke cover last week to criticise the party’s handling of cases of alleged antisemitism in a dramatic escalation of the row engulfing Jeremy Corbyn’s party.
Two of the whistleblowers who featured in last week’s explosive BBC Panorama programme entitled Is Labour Anti-Semitic? – Sam Matthews and Louise Withers Green – contacted the Observer last night to say they had instructed the prominent media lawyer Mark Lewis to act on their behalf because they believed the party had defamed them in its response to their claims.

ITV News also has the story.

Two whistleblowers featured in a BBC Panorama investigation into anti-Semitism in the Labour Party have said they now plan to sue the party.
Former officials Sam Matthews and Louise Withers Green said they believed they had been defamed by Labour in its response to their allegations.
The programme – shown on Wednesday – included claims that senior figures including Jeremy Corbyn’s communications chief Seumas Milne and general secretary Jennie Formby – had interfered in anti-Semitism investigations.

But the programme was not accurate, reports the Independent.

Jeremy Corbyn has said there were “many, many, inaccuracies” in this week’s BBC Panorama  documentary about antisemitism in the Labour Party, claiming the programme adopted a “predetermined position” before it was broadcast.
Speaking during a visit to the Durham Miners’ Gala, Mr Corbyn insisted Labour had made its complaints procedures “very clear” and that members and staff who raised concerns were supported.

Conservative Woman reports on the programme.

THERE are several strands to the BBC’s Panorama programme, broadcast last night, covering Labour’s structural anti-Semitism. The party has decided that it will not defend itself against the charges of racism, but will instead directly and indirectly attack the programme and the brave people who came forward to expose the corruption of Labour’s inner workings since the election of Jeremy Corbyn as leader.
However there was one part of the programme that Labour could not attack. This was the testimony of party members who are Jewish. Time and again these party members talked of coming face-to-face with aggressive anti-Semitic abuse from other members of the Labour Party, at party meetings and at party conferences.

A trade unionist has let loose, reports the Mail.

Trade union kingpin Len McCluskey today launched a foul-mouthed attack on Labour’s deputy leader Tom Watson as the party’s civil war over anti-Semitism showed no signs of a cease-fire.
McCluskey used a speech at the Durham Miners’ Gala, attended by Jeremy Corbyn, to tell Mr Watson he ‘should f**king be ashamed’ of himself for criticism levelled at party general secretary Jennie Formby, who has breast cancer.

The Express also reports McCluskey’s rant.

LEN McCluskey has branded Labour deputy leader Tom Watson a “f****** disgrace” in a foul-mouthed attack as Jeremy Corbyn watched on amid an anti-semitism civil war that is tearing the embattled party apart.
The trade union kingpin used foul language repeatedly during a speech at the Durham Miners’ Gala today that also saw the Unite boss tell Mr Watson he should be “should f***** be ashamed” of himself over criticism he faced for condemning party general secretary Jennie Formby, who is battling breast cancer.

The bad language is reported by iNews.

Labour divisions were exposed as Jeremy Corbyn addressed a rally in Durham and one union leader laid into the party’s deputy.
The party has been embroiled for weeks in a row over how it has handled anti-Semitism complaints and that boiled over this week when a BBC Panorama documentary on the subject aired.
Mr Corbyn on Saturday, speaking at the Durham Miners’ Gala said there were “many, many, inaccuracies” in Panorama expose – a line that his friends have been putting out since it broadcast.

And the Times has a comment by a leading Jew.

A renowned historian and a Booker prize-winning author are among a group of prominent British Jews who have described anti-semitism in the Labour Party as a “pool of poison in the party’s soul”.
Sir Simon Schama and Howard Jacobson also accused Jeremy Corbyn of damaging the historical relationship between Labour and Britain’s Jewish community “beyond repair”.
Their attack against Corbyn is contained in a letter that has also been signed by the author Simon Sebag Montefiore and Rabbi Julia Neuberger. It calls on Labour to establish an independent complaints body which can investigate anti-semitism without interference from the party’s leadership office.

TBP

The leader of the Brexit Party has claimed he can take the north of the country in the Express.

NIGEL Farage has vowed to storm Labour’s northern strongholds as he said it had made a “historic mistake” by backing Remain.
The Brexit Party leader told how Jeremy Corbyn’s decision to support a second referendum handed him a “golden opportunity”. Mr Farage spoke out after an exclusive poll for the Sunday Express revealed that Mr Corbyn’s surrender to the Remainers made almost two in five voters less likely to back him.
The results have also emboldened Tory leadership frontrunner Boris Johnson, who was the most popular choice as Prime Minister.

In a poll, the party is only just behind the Tories reports the Express.

THE BREXIT PARTY is the second most popular party in the UK leaving Labour and the Lib Dems trailing behind, a new poll suggests.
The Conservatives topped the YouGov poll with 24 percent of the vote, buoyed by the prospect of Boris Johnson as the next Tory leader. Nipping at their heels is the Brexit Party, which secured 21 percent in the opinion polls, despite only being founded seven months ago. Labour took 20 percent of the vote – up from 18 percent – and the Lib Dems were at 19 percent – down one percent.

ITV News says it’s because of Labour’s Remain stance.

Nigel Farage says his Brexit Party will take Labour’s traditional northern seats due to Jeremy Corbyn’s support for a second Brexit referendum.
Mr Farage said the Labour leader’s decision to back another poll had given the Brexit Party a “golden opportunity” to claim the opposition’s heartland electorates.
“Now the Brexit Party is the true party of the people,” Mr Farage told the Sunday Express.

And exclusively, Breitbart reports Farage’s comments on becoming US ambassador.

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has said becoming Britain’s ambassador to the United States — a job the President himself once recommended him for — would be a “dream job”, but one he might have to turn down in order to hold the next prime minister to account on Brexit.
Mr Farage stressed that outgoing ambassador Sir Kim Darroch, drawn from the officially neutral Civil Service which serves as something of a permanent standing bureaucracy in the United Kingdom, had been no impartial official, but was a “fanatic for building the European project and the new global order”.

Social care

Councils are not being honest with those needing social care, reports the Telegraph.

Families have been forced to pay for care after being misled about what costs should be covered by social services, The Sunday Telegraph has learned.
Whistleblowers within the care sector have told this newspaper that councils are “sailing as close to the law as they can” by offering elderly and vulnerable people less care than they need or asking them to pay for their own equipment.
Social care provision in England is means tested with those with more than £23,500 in their savings having to contribute.

Education

Protests against LGBT classes are being planned, reports the Times.

Nationwide protests by parents against new relationships and sex-education lessons are planned for September, and head teachers across England are bracing themselves for angry scenes. About 70 state schools are pleading for help to deal with demands from parents that they drop the lessons, which include information about LGBT sex and relationships.
On Friday, 350 children were withdrawn from Parkfield Primary School in Birmingham because teachers have refused to stop using picture books to teach young children that same-sex relationships are normal.

Cannabis

The Telegraph claims parents would prefer their kids to do drugs under their supervision.

Middle class parents are smoking cannabis with their children because they prefer them to experiment at home, a leading headmistress has said.
Helen Pike, who is Master of the £19,000-a-year Magdalen College School in Oxford, explained that it is now far more common for parents to host teenage house parties as they “see their children as friends”.
She revealed that some parents are “not only happy for their children to have a drink or few at home” but will also “offer them a joint”.
“They grew up doing it, they still enjoy a smoke, and don’t see the problem with it,” she said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email