A Labour move to ban pro-Brexit candidates standing for the party in the European elections was revealed last night. Labour’s 20 MEPs, who are all Remainers, have urged Jeremy Corbyn to force all candidates to promise to back calls for a second referendum, party sources claimed. But the move is fiercely opposed by some members of Mr Corbyn’s shadow cabinet, who fear it will drive Brexiteer Labour voters towards Nigel Farage’s new Brexit Party or far-Right groups in the May 23 elections. The row was revealed after Richard Corbett, Labour’s leader in the European parliament, said Mr Corbyn must back a second referendum – or ‘confirmatory vote’ – in its Euro elections manifesto.
Two leading supporters of Jeremy Corbyn are in the frame for a plum European Parliament seat when Labour selects its candidates this week. Laura Parker (pictured above), national coordinator of the grassroots group Momentum, and Katy Clark, a former MP and political secretary to Corbyn, are both in contention for a London region MEP spot, party sources said. Gordon Nardell, who is Labour’s new in-house lawyer tasked with dealing with anti-semitism cases, is also seen as a contender.
Tory activists have threatened to boycott European Parliament elections in protest at Theresa May’s decision to delay Brexit. Almost 40 Conservative association chairmen have written to her saying they will not take part because it would be ‘inconsistent and unprincipled to do so’. The letter, seen by the Daily Mail, accuses the Prime Minister of breaking ‘solemn pledges’ to honour the referendum result and ‘leave the EU on time on March 29’.
The Conservatives are facing an exodus as up to 40 EU election candidates are believed to be defecting to the Brexit Party. Former Ukip leader Nigel Farage has reportedly received word from 26 MPs that privately said they will vote for his new group. And even more are said to be ditching their Tory MEP campaigns in favour of standing for the Brexit Party.
The Conservatives are facing a humiliating defeat at the European elections next month after support for the party slumped to its lowest level since 2013, according to a new poll. The survey shows the Tories on just 28 per cent when it comes to general election voting intention – a four-point fall which leaves them trailing Labour on 32. When voters were asked which party they will vote for at the European elections, Theresa May’s party languished on 16 per cent, eight points behind Labour on 24
ARCH-BREXITEER and Tory MP Sir John Redwood has blasted Theresa May for agreeing to a “needless” Brexit delay and accused Parliament of “dancing on the EU strings”. Mr Redwood said MPs had lost faith in Britain’s ability to govern itself and instead were clinging to the idea of the UK attaching itself to the EU forevermore. The 67-year-old summed up the behaviour of many lawmakers as “bizarre” as they continue to coil away from the offer to “take back control” and instead advocate for a semi-Brexit.
Telegraph (by Boris Johnson)
I know it may not feel much like it at the moment, but some day soon we are going to get out. Unless we MPs have taken leave of our senses, we will honour the wishes of the people. Unless the PM has some secret plan to stifle Brexit with a series of ever more ludicrous delays, it seems to me all but inevitable that we will eventually respect the result of the 2016 referendum and leave the European Union. So don’t despair. Don’t give up. It is going to happen, and at that wonderful moment it will be as though the lights have come on at some raucous party.
A prominent Labour MP was criticised yesterday for likening Conservative Brexiteers to the Nazis and warning that they must not be “appeased”. David Lammy defended comments he had previously made in which he compared members of the European Research Group of Tory MPs to the Nazis. Far from this being an unacceptable comparison, he had not gone far enough, he said, and then accused Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg of associating themselves with far-right propagandists.
Jacob Rees-Mogg has slammed David Lammy after the Labour MP compared him and Boris Johnson to Nazis today. The second referendum campaigner likened the politicians to Hitler in a damning outburst on the Andrew Marr Show on Sunday. And his rant sparked fury among Conservatives who claim the MP for Tottenham has ‘lost it’ with the comparisons to ‘white supremacists’. Now, Rees-Mogg has taken to Twitter to criticise the Labour MP: ‘I feel sorry for Mr Lammy, comparing a Parliamentary ginger group with an organisation and creed that killed six million Jewish people makes him look foolish and his comments unbalanced.
JACOB Rees-Mogg has lashed out at David Lammy after the Labour MP compared the Brexit-backing European Research Group to Adolf Hitler’s Nazi Party. The prominent Brexiteer and chair of ERG said he felt sorry for the Labour MP following his controversial comments which made him “look foolish”. In a blistering attack, Mr Rees-Mogg said Mr Lammy’s comments were “unbalanced” and would “damage his reputation”. He tweeted: “I feel sorry for Mr Lammy, comparing a Parliamentary ginger group with an organisation and creed that killed six million Jewish people makes him look foolish and his comments unbalanced.
Senior Conservatives hope Brexit compromise talks will conclude with enough time for the UK to avoid fighting European Parliament elections. Cabinet Office minister David Lidington and Iain Duncan Smith both indicated they wanted negotiations to wrap up before 22 May. Britain has been granted a new Brexit delay until 31 October by the EU, with the option to pull out of the bloc earlier if parliament passes a divorce deal.
FINLAND has sent a strong warning to the EU after the populist Finns party made huge gains in Sunday’s parliamentary elections to come second. The nationalist Finns Party narrowly avoided victory after taking 17.6 percent after more than 97 percent of votes were counted. They were narrowly pipped to the post by Finland’s leftist Social Democrat party (SDP), with leader Antti Rinne declaring victory after partial results showed his party winning by a tight margin with 17.8 percent
TORY MPs desperate for a new leader amid the Brexit chaos could oust Theresa May by holding another no confidence vote, it has emerged. Prime Minister Theresa May believes she is safe from a no confidence vote until December under current rules after she faced down the same vote in December 2018. But now Tory grandees Michael Spicer and Archie Hamilton, who are former chairs of the 1922 Committee, have warned that the group can make its own rules. They said the rule of the 12-month block on a new no confidence vote “has been interpreted as being immovable”.
Theresa May could face a fresh leadership challenge within weeks after senior Tories agreed to launch a review of the party’s rulebook. The backbench 1922 Committee is looking at whether to tear up the rules that prevent the party leader facing more than one challenge in a 12-month period. Sources on the committee last night said the change would be debated by the ruling executive at its first meeting back after Easter on April 23. Committee chairman Sir Graham Brady is understood to be seeking legal advice on the proposed change, amid concerns that it could be challenged by supporters of the Prime Minister.
Support for the Conservative Party has sunk to its lowest level in years according to polling from multiple firms. The British public are clearly furious that Theresa May has totally failed to deliver Brexit on time, as promised. The latest Opinium poll has the Tories down to 29% for a General Election, a 6-point drop that gives Labour a 7-point lead. Two weeks ago they were neck and neck on 35% each. This level of support is the lowest Opinium have recorded for the Conservatives since May 2014 nearly five years ago.
Britain’s ruling Conservative Party cannot let itself be defined solely by Brexit, Prime Minister Theresa May’s de facto deputy said on Sunday, as polling showed failure to leave the European Union on schedule has badly damaged its support. May’s authority has been shattered by her three-time failure to get an exit deal approved by parliament and a pledge to quit once Brexit is delivered, driving speculation about her successor and a possible national election.
Philip Hammond has ridiculed three Brexiteer Tory leadership candidates for engaging in “suicide pacts” when they each failed in their bid to be Prime Minister instead of Theresa May. In a speech in Washington, the Chancellor said Michael Gove and Boris Johnson had formed an “unintended suicide pact” during the last leadership contest while Andrea Leadsom effectively “knifed herself” in a “private suicide pact”. The Chancellor said there was likely to be a far “wider field” this time.
Sajid Javid is unveiling a radical blueprint for protecting communities from crime, in a high profile move being widely seen as paving the way for a Tory leadership bid. In a major policy speech, he is calling for a dual approach that limits opportunities to commit crime, coupled with early intervention to prevent young people being drawn into it. As well as tackling issues like knife crime, the home secretary’s speech is being seen as a move to step up his campaign to succeed Theresa May as prime minister.
Cabinet rivals to succeed Theresa May are backing the prime minister to stay in office into the autumn if she fails to get her Brexit deal through parliament. A leading Brexiteer demanded yesterday that Mrs May step down by the end of June and raised the prospect of another move to unseat her within months. Supporters of cabinet contenders to succeed her have made clear privately, though, that they do not want a contest before the first stage of Brexit is resolved, even if talks with Labour break down.
The Conservative Party has been hit by more defections this weekend in another major blow to the party. Two former Tory MPs, Stephen Dorrell and Neil Carmichael, have said they are leaving the Conservative Party in order to join the ultra-europhile splinter party Change UK (CUK), formed by eight Labour and three Conservative MPs who had left their former parties over issues including anti-Semitism in Labour and their handling of Brexit.
THE SNP is appealing to Jeremy Corbyn for help in blocking Brexit, saying it would be “unforgivable” for the Labour leader to reach a deal with Theresa May that does not include a second referendum. Ian Blackford, the Scottish National Party’s Westminster leader, said Mr Corbyn was “wasting time” by holding cross-party talks with the Prime Minister and urged him to stop skirting around the issue of a so-called People’s Vote, which is supported by 80 Labour MPs.
Jeremy Corbyn is on course to be prime minister as Conservative support plummets, according to an analysis of recent polling. Labour could capitalise on the Brexit delay to sweep into power, with the Tories set to lose 59 seats in the event of a general election, according to Electoral Calculus research for The Sunday Telegraph. The analysis is the latest in a clutch of surveys which point to a collapse in the Conservative vote, with two other polls this weekend putting support for the party at its lowest in at least five years.
Jeremy Corbyn is set to take power due to Theresa May‘s failure to deliver Brexit by March 29, a polling analysis has revealed. A general election would see the Conservative Party losing 59 seats, meaning Mr Corbyn’s party would be left the largest in the House of Commons, a Sunday Telegraph poll of polls claimed. President of the British Polling Council Professor Sir John Curtice said Brexiteers had been ‘drawn back to either Ukip or Nigel Farage‘s newly launched Brexit Party’.
The former cabinet minister chosen to lead an inquiry into Labour’s handling of antisemitism claims he has warned the party that it faces a “very real” electoral threat if it is not dealt with soon. Lord Falconer of Thoroton admitted yesterday that his work was “on hold” while the party awaited an inquiry by the Equality and Human Rights Commission, and said he was “very frustrated” at the slow pace of the investigation. Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s The World This Weekend, Lord Falconer said he feared that the time the commission would take to complete its investigation would be “too long” for Labour to take effective measures against the reputational threat it faced now.
The government and Labour must reach a compromise on their red lines around a customs union if a deal is to be reached between the two sides, Theresa May’s de facto deputy has said. David Lidington, who is leading the government’s talks with Labour which are set to continue next week, said there was a deal to be done on the UK’s future customs arrangements after Brexit and said various options were being “tested”. A detailed programme of talks between ministers and shadow ministers on different topics has been prepared to take place next week, over the parliamentary recess.
Thousands of Welsh patients could be banned from English hospitals as a funding row escalates. Conservatives have demanded that the Welsh government “pay up” while NHS insiders expressed frustration that politicians are “just throwing rocks at each other”. Last week the Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust said that apart from emergency or maternity patients, it would no longer treat people from Wales because they did not bring in as much money as those living in England.
The leader of a government review on the gender pay gap in medicine says that a pensions tax on high earners could deter female doctors from applying for senior roles and awards. Tax rule changes are causing widespread concern in the NHS, with warnings that overstretched services will be understaffed as senior doctors cut their hours to avoid punitive tax rates.
An estimated 53,000 pupils attend so-called zombie schools that are stuck in administrative limbo as they wait for new sponsors. Official figures show that 93 academies are in the process of transferring between trusts after their original sponsor backed out. The figure has increased by 45 per cent from 64 in 2017. The academies are said to be crippled by the uncertainty of the transfer process, with governing bodies hesitanting to make long-term decisions until a sponsor is found.
Children in England with special educational needs and disabilities (Send) have lost out on £1.2bn worth of services because government funding has failed to keep pace with soaring demand for additional support over the past four years, according to an analysis. The number of children and young people with an education, health and care plan, a legal document detailing a child’s entitlement to support for special needs, has risen from 240,000 to 320,000 since 2015 – an increase of 33% – according to research by the National Education Union (NEU).
Landlords will no longer be able to evict people at short notice without good reason under plans to create “open-ended tenancies”. Theresa May will bring an end to “no fault” evictions which give tenants as little as eight weeks’ notice after their fixed term contract has come to an end. Landlords will instead have to take tenants to court and provide “legitimate reasons” for removing people from their properties.
Tenants are to be protected against eviction without good reason in a renting revolution to offer peace of mind to families unable to buy their own homes. No-fault evictions are to be scrapped under government plans to be announced today which will, in effect, make tenancies open ended, as they are in Germany and several other European countries.
Private landlords will no longer be able to evict tenants at short notice and without good reason under a major shake-up of the rental sector, the Government has said. Prime Minister Theresa May said the move would end the threat of so-called “no-fault” evictions which give tenants as little as eight weeks’ notice after a fixed-term contract has come to an end. Housing, Communities and Local Government Secretary James Brokenshire said the proposed changes would effectively create open-ended tenancies.
Private landlords will be banned from evicting tenants at short notice and without good reason under plans unveiled on Monday. In a major victory for campaigners, landlords will no longer be able to oust renters with as little as eight weeks’ notice after the fixed-term contract has come to an end. It is aimed at effectively creating open-ended tenancies – offering hundreds of thousands of families in rented accommodation greater protections and certainty.
Theresa May has pledged to overhaul the private rental sector by abolishing landlords’ powers to evict tenants at short notice and without good reason. In a major reversal of a policy implemented during Margaret Thatcher‘s time in Downing Street, the prime minister said she was taking action to end “no-fault” evictions in England. Under the practice – already abolished in Scotland – landlords in England are able to evict tenants on a whim and without reason with as little as eight weeks’ notice, once a fixed-term contract has come to an end.
Housing campaigners have hailed a groundbreaking shift for tenants’ rights after the government announced plans to scrap “no-fault evictions”, which it described as the biggest overhaul for renters in a generation. The government will consult on abolishing section 21 evictions in England, meaning private landlords would no longer be able to evict tenants from their homes at short notice and without good reason.
Landlords will no longer be able to evict tenants at short notice without good reason under a major housing shake-up to be announced today. Prime Minister Theresa May said the move would end the threat of so-called ‘no-fault’ evictions which give renters as little as eight weeks’ notice to leave if their fixed-term contracts have ended. But landlords have warned that the move could create ‘indefinite tenancies by the back door’ leading to fewer homes being available in the rental sector.