Today let’s talk about the strange coincidence of this Russell Brand sex scandal swamping our Westminster MSM while another scandal isn’t even mentioned in passing. For the record, see the compilation of this morning’s printed MSM editions’ front pages, headlined “Newspaper headlines: Fifth Brand allegation and Starmer’s Brexit pledge” (link). Forget about that Starmer ‘pledge’: this refers to one article only, in the DM and it’s about Tories being upset (link).

Interestingly, there’s a report in The Times about this ‘pledge’. One of their former Brussels correspondents has apparently been happy to get back into that swamp, reviving all his former ‘sources’. Under the headline “EU bridles at Keir Starmer’s plan to seek ‘much better’ Brexit deal” we read that:

“[…] senior figures in London and Brussels have offered little hope of a “quick win” for Starmer, saying that the EU was wary of re-opening the Brexit debate, even with a new government in Westminster. They also warned that the review of the Trade and Co-operation Agreement (TCA) was more about “housekeeping” than reimagining the UK and EU’s relationship, and that any move to negotiate the deal would need the backing of both the European Commission and the 27 member states. “Unless Starmer is prepared to take a quantum leap and change Labour’s position on membership of the customs union then any renegotiation will really be not much more than a rebranding exercise,” one EU source said.” (link, paywalled)

This ‘quantum leap’ of which Brussels speaks looks to me like a veiled demand to Rejoin. I’m not sure yet if this is Brussels playing hard to get, if it’s Brussels telling Starmer they have other things to do right now, like dealing with ‘poor refugees’. Perhaps Brussels will tell Starmer to show ‘good will’ and promise to take in yon ‘poor refugees. 

This brings me to the scandal not mentioned in polite circles in Westminster or the MSM: the invasion of Europe, via Italy, by using the stepping stone of the small island Lampedusa. The German paper “Die Welt” reports (my emphasis):

“The Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen looked very harmonious on Sunday – despite a completely chaotic environment. Together they visited the Mediterranean island of Lampedusa to get an idea of the exceptional situation that prevailed there after more than 9000 migrants arrived last week. Side by side, they finally held a press conference at which von der Leyen announced a ten-point plan to get the situation under control. In 2023, migration across the Mediterranean doubled compared to the previous year: Since the beginning of the year, around 127,000 people have already arrived in Italy by sea.” (paywalled link, machine translated)

Do watch Paul Joseph Watson’s video to get a taste of what this invasion looks like ‘on the ground’, and then read what dear Ursula had to say:

“At the conference, von der Leyen not only said that irregular immigration is a challenge that needs “a European answer.” She also called on the other EU countries to accept some of the migrants arriving in Italy. Italian newspapers described the words of von der Leyens and her visit as a “gift to Meloni”, as they are clear signs of assistance that are particularly important for the head of government in domestic policy.” (paywalled link, machine translated)

Allegedly some of those ‘poor refugees’, when interviewed, said they’d plan to go to the UK. So if they don’t come via dinghies but via a ‘planned distribution’ by the EU, will Starmer take them in and beat his chest about having ‘crushed’ people trafficking? You bet he will! There also this:

“The right-wing nationalist Meloni was also elected last year thanks to her promise to “fight” illegal migration. But then the exact opposite happened: Since Meloni ruled, the number of people who came to Italy doubled and the Prime Minister ran the risk of losing the approval of her voters. Von der Leyen could now save her from this if she clearly names migration as a pan-European problem with which Italy should not be left alone.” (paywalled link, machine translated)

Odd, isn’t it, how Italian politicians like Ms Meloni and Mr Salvini before her, always labelled ‘extreme ultra hard far right’, practically fascists and definitely anti-EU, are suddenly being overwhelmed by floods of ‘poor refugees’ – as if the EU is calling them to heel, as if they’ve been allowed to play a bit before the Brussels boots come down. Similar ‘warnings’ happened for Spain or Greece. Funnily enough they never seem to manage to land on French Mediterranean beaches,.

That’s all I have for today. I predict that at some stage in a Starmer government we’ll be told that homeowners who have spare bedrooms will have to take in ‘poor refugees’, making it mandatory. Have a good day.